WotR Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Tips & Tricks & Help

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
He is hoarding junk although already has +3 items in inventory.

I thought - from DDO - that only Cold Iron was able to bypass demon's DR ?

DDO is mmo.
Pathfinder is not mmo and thank god for that.

If you are still that scared, you have a trinket that adds cold iron effect to all party weapons when placed on your belt.
It doesn't happen automatically or is bugged, upon entering an area make sure you unequip then equip on the belt.

Unless you returned it to the queen for OMG such rewarding amount of 600 XP while you need 457638464837369 XP for level up!
Btw, you may return it to her at the beginning of chapter 4 if you kept it for a while.

True Seeing will ignore Displacement, Greater Invisibility and even Mirror Images. If you keep Camellia around, she can cast a mass version that will buff all the party around level 9.

Yeah, that's why I'm going to return to that battle once I get the spell. (via Nenio at level 11). I won't have the communal version before a while so I guess I will have to do with casting it on my heaviest hitters. Unless I buy / make a few more scrolls.

If anyone has a great tip for building a crossblood sorcerer, feel free to dump it here. I've got one at level 2 that took fire elemental and one of the 3 fire dragon builds and has so far focused on skill focus fire magic twice and I think spell penetration.

My goal (if I play long enough), is to take the ascendant fire magic that will make enemies no longer have protection from my fire magic and then burn evil to the ground :) I did take the warrior/soldier background so I can use a short sword/light armor/lt. Xbow with some skill. I really won't wear the armor much as I have magic to boost my AC to respectable levels and it's not like I'll stay on the front line. I'll sneak in a few attacks once everyone has a companion engaged.

I do like that I get 8 or so shots of a flame arrow type spell for free with elemental fire magic. That elemental ray is great for saving on other spells for the bigger battles.

What are your stats like? Are you going to melee a fair bit or not?

Also, what's the alignment and intended mythic path?

If anyone has a great tip for building a crossblood sorcerer, feel free to dump it here. I've got one at level 2 that took fire elemental and one of the 3 fire dragon builds and has so far focused on skill focus fire magic twice and I think spell penetration.

My goal (if I play long enough), is to take the ascendant fire magic that will make enemies no longer have protection from my fire magic and then burn evil to the ground :) I did take the warrior/soldier background so I can use a short sword/light armor/lt. Xbow with some skill. I really won't wear the armor much as I have magic to boost my AC to respectable levels and it's not like I'll stay on the front line. I'll sneak in a few attacks once everyone has a companion engaged.

I do like that I get 8 or so shots of a flame arrow type spell for free with elemental fire magic. That elemental ray is great for saving on other spells for the bigger battles.

I'd say that unless you play on the harder difficulty modes (Core and above), you can basically build what you like without having too much trouble.

The only encounters that should give you any trouble then would be optional boss encounters (like the large water elemental in the Shield Maze) and there aren't too many of those.

So have fun with the build and experiment. That's how I have decided to play as I tried Core and it wasn't for me. The main issue I had in Core was in the Market when 4 Shadows killed my characters by doing Stat damage rather than HP damage :D

So have fun with the build and experiment. That's how I have decided to play as I tried Core and it wasn't for me. The main issue I had in Core was in the Market when 4 Shadows killed my characters by doing Stat damage rather than HP damage :D

Here is a tip for that encounter in particular. It's also one of the things I love about DnD, but it can deter others. Often, these situations are trivial if you have the knowledge about the game, but more often than not this information is very hard to learn by newer/inexperienced players, and the game does not do much to inform you about it.

In this particular instance, you can buy a scroll/potion of "Death Ward" at the base, for a mere 1250 gold. That spell makes the one using it completely impervious to level draining, which in turn makes the encounters around the Market graveyard into free XP pinatas, since those creatures don't even harm you, they just drain you until you die. You can just send someone with the spell ahead to draw their attention while the rest of the party peels the minor ghouls off and eventually kills the shadows at very low risk and investment.

This is one of some gimmicky encounters you will face where knowledge trumps minmaxed builds, even at the highest difficulties. Other similar examples are bodaks, swarms, deskari demons and others, that just knowing the one spell that completely counters all they can do to you wins the battle before it even begins.

My character seems to be losing their melee attack action in turn-based mode. Started recently, no idea if it is connected to patch, or some gear I am wearing. I just seem to have a move action, but can cast spells or do anything else….it is incredibly frustrating. I have lost some close fights because my character ran up to deliver a final blow, and did nothing. I have this little "!" underneath the portait, which I think means you can't act, but I have no negative status effects etc. And as I said, worked perfectly until now. I know TB mode is supposed to be a little dodgy, but it's mostly been fine and I can't go back to RTwP - it' just too chaotic, especially when so many abilties are move equivalent…and you can *precisely* target AOE effects and spells in TB-mode which you simply can't in RTwP. Any ideas on how to fix this?
EDIT: I tried turning TB off/on quickly, after combat starts, but that does nothing. Some have suggested skipping a turn...but that's not a solution. I usually get one melee attack, and then it starts misbehaving. I'm playing a magus, but this happens even if I don't use touch spells.

My character seems to be losing their melee attack action in turn-based mode. Started recently, no idea if it is connected to patch, or some gear I am wearing. I just seem to have a move action, but can cast spells or do anything else….it is incredibly frustrating. I have lost some close fights because my character ran up to deliver a final blow, and did nothing. I have this little "!" underneath the portait, which I think means you can't act, but I have no negative status effects etc. And as I said, worked perfectly until now. I know TB mode is supposed to be a little dodgy, but it's mostly been fine and I can't go back to RTwP - it' just too chaotic, especially when so many abilties are move equivalent…and you can *precisely* target AOE effects and spells in TB-mode which you simply can't in RTwP. Any ideas on how to fix this?
EDIT: I tried turning TB off/on quickly, after combat starts, but that does nothing. Some have suggested skipping a turn…but that's not a solution. I usually get one melee attack, and then it starts misbehaving. I'm playing a magus, but this happens even if I don't use touch spells.

It happens sometimes that the game miscalculates the attack range of a character and if you click on an enemy that requires prior movement to get to, the character will walk just not close enough for the attack to be possible, but because the attack action was queued, it will glitch, and you will lose it.

It happened to me often until what I did was just split my movement and attack in those situtations. Instead of clicking on the enemy to move+attack it, I first moved the character using her movement range to make sure she was placed well within attack range, and then, once the movement had been completed, clicked on the enemy to perform the attack action. This still gets glitched sometimes, but it's vastly more reliable than the alternative.

In general, the game glitches a lot in TB with any order you give to your characters that require movement+action in one same click. Another notorious example of this is touch spells (like healing ones). I can't count how many turns I've lost when I critically needed to heal someone and the game just glitches, lose the turn, the person in need dies as a consequence of it, rage ensues. The only "fix" we can work with for now that I know, separate your movements and actions into two different things, and the game will generally glitch less around it.

Besides, the default pathing that the game chooses for your movement is very unintelligent, it will ignore control zones and have you eat up any amount of AoO you walk through in straight lines, without paying any mind to it. Often it will also position you in awkward spots that you might not want to be caught in, like moving in front of your tank that you just wanted to buff/heal from behind, thus turning your squishy mage into the new frontline. In narow passages, it will clutter your melee characters around the same spot in front of an enemy, blocking other melee/pets from passage or even being able to reach melee range, while an intelligent player would spread them out so everyone can get through. Generally, fine-tuning your movement manually will make your life easier, even if it takes a little more micromanaging tedium.

Last edited:
Thanks Nereida - I have also tried splitting into move+action before, when I noticed that sometimes a character couldn't attack, until you moved them right up to the target. Also had that issue with heals - ouch...now Ember has a 'reach' heal, which is great (avoids that issue mostly). The interface basically shows that I only have a move and then has this "!" underneath - this is what is worrying me. It's something new since the last patch (I think...well, certainly last 2 days). Prior to that I would occassionally have the issues you described, but this seems to be something more serious? I had an encounter in the Abyss where I was robbed while I slept, and all my equipment was auto-removed...I think it started after that. Usually eveything is fine for the 1st round, and then I lose my actions (besides 1 move). Maybe it's a curse ;-)

Thanks Nereida - I have also tried splitting into move+action before, when I noticed that sometimes a character couldn't attack, until you moved them right up to the target. Also had that issue with heals - ouch…now Ember has a 'reach' heal, which is great (avoids that issue mostly). The interface basically shows that I only have a move and then has this "!" underneath - this is what is worrying me. It's something new since the last patch (I think…well, certainly last 2 days). Prior to that I would occassionally have the issues you described, but this seems to be something more serious? I had an encounter in the Abyss where I was robbed while I slept, and all my equipment was auto-removed…I think it started after that. Usually eveything is fine for the 1st round, and then I lose my actions (besides 1 move). Maybe it's a curse ;-)

Sometimes you may be affected by a "Slow" spell or similar, which, while under its effects, you can only do either a move or an action. Your movement line will show as yellow to reflect that (also happens at the beginning of combat if your party is "surprised", and during the first round you can only take partial actions). Some systems are tricky and not that intuitive if you're not familiar with them, so it's hard to tell when it's actually a bug.

Here is a tip for that encounter in particular. It's also one of the things I love about DnD, but it can deter others. Often, these situations are trivial if you have the knowledge about the game, but more often than not this information is very hard to learn by newer/inexperienced players, and the game does not do much to inform you about it.

In this particular instance, you can buy a scroll/potion of "Death Ward" at the base, for a mere 1250 gold. That spell makes the one using it completely impervious to level draining, which in turn makes the encounters around the Market graveyard into free XP pinatas, since those creatures don't even harm you, they just drain you until you die. You can just send someone with the spell ahead to draw their attention while the rest of the party peels the minor ghouls off and eventually kills the shadows at very low risk and investment.

This is one of some gimmicky encounters you will face where knowledge trumps minmaxed builds, even at the highest difficulties. Other similar examples are bodaks, swarms, deskari demons and others, that just knowing the one spell that completely counters all they can do to you wins the battle before it even begins.
I think that would be fine, but it requires not only dnd knowledge. It actually requires complete meta knowledge of the encounter.

There's no way for me to know this encounter is going to happen when leaving the base.

If this were a game with 30 hours of gameplay then I wouldn't mind doing those things and understanding the meta fully, which is why I enjoyed age of decadence a lot.

In a game lasting 100 hours this is not for me. I am not going to go to a location to find out what all the encounters are for an hour, solve quests, get companions, to then reload at base and do it all again.

Obviously, good if you enjoy it. Like i said, I would too if the game were shorter. I enjoy those puzzles, but not for this :D

Thanks Nereida - I have also tried splitting into move+action before, when I noticed that sometimes a character couldn't attack, until you moved them right up to the target. Also had that issue with heals - ouch...now Ember has a 'reach' heal, which is great (avoids that issue mostly). The interface basically shows that I only have a move and then has this "!" underneath - this is what is worrying me. It's something new since the last patch (I think...well, certainly last 2 days). Prior to that I would occassionally have the issues you described, but this seems to be something more serious? I had an encounter in the Abyss where I was robbed while I slept, and all my equipment was auto-removed...I think it started after that. Usually eveything is fine for the 1st round, and then I lose my actions (besides 1 move). Maybe it's a curse ;-)
Can screenshot upload a screenshot with that exclamation mark?

Yeah, the UI is not always that intuitive unfortunately. In my case, there is no negative effect on my character, and this is regular combat after the surprise round. I am fairly sure now it is some kind of weird bug - I just hope it doesn't end up killing me in some important encounter (!) Or I wil have to revert to RTwP - which I used for PF:K...bit that seems too busy now.

Finding the right scroll / potion can be pretty challenging. Sure, the most common ones such as healing potions are pretty easy to recognize, but for those you don't need that often such as Death Ward, it's much more difficult. I wish the interface was different and/or that we could have a search bar.

Can screenshot upload a screenshot with that exclamation mark?

Here's one where it was my turn next - Merialla. You can see the "!" under her portait. When I saw that on other characters, they were unbale to act/stunned/confused. In one case due to Aivu's fear effect…I wonder if that is somehow affecting my character, even though it is nots hown? hm.

Attachments

• 20210921142914_1.jpg
    20210921142914_1.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 33
"Death Ward"
This thread is so bloated - if possible someone filter the random stuff and rewrite only actual musts in a thread.
I remember restoration (normal, lesser and greater) was discussed in this thread, but not Death Ward that is more desirable if you know who you're dealing with next.
Having Death Ward is a must on normal difficulty, not talking about other difficulties. As such it should have made an entry here.
Similar to Dimension Door, that one not only it makes your life easier, it allows you entering areas not accessible otherwise (not a bug although can be used as bug workaround). But it was mentioned. And burried with (dis)liking companions and other not really tips/hints.

Speaking of DD use to sort out bugs, I didn't know but seems that Blackwater was fixed in the last patch.
Not the whole of it, but two critical bugs I wrote before that make the area impossible to beat on normal difficulty (trashmobs were supposed to be electricity vulnerable yet were basically immune to it!):
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1184370/view/4964645483238535978
Cyborgs in Blackwater were stronger than intended - fixed;
Gates weren’t opening in Blackwater - fixed;

-----

What wasn't disclosed is that the last patch completely broke the crusade!

I didn't notice this, and I am replaying the game only because of picproof that Hellknights suck, everyone else rocks.
But then I saw this on Steam now:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1184370/discussions/0/5086242673974260997/
[EDIT]And now these:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1184370/discussions/0/5086242673972294354/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1184370/discussions/0/5086242673971230469/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1184370/discussions/0/5086242673974855494/[/EDIT]

After reading it I went to check my stats.
And there you go, ZERO on military and ZERO on diplomacy although I've killed numerous demon armies and picked a few diplomacy related options in events.
pic.jpg

I mean this is my army #1, do you think the general got to that level without demons destruction:
pic.jpg

If I find out how to fix this I'll post, but it seems there is no workaround currently.

In other words, unless you've set the crusade on automatic mode (which locks you out of numerous goodies), do me a favor and check your crusade stats.
If stats are stuck except development (which improves by building in forts and capital, it's not combat related) like mine, you have my condolences.

Last edited:
Here's one where it was my turn next - Merialla. You can see the "!" under her portait. When I saw that on other characters, they were unbale to act/stunned/confused. In one case due to Aivu's fear effect…I wonder if that is somehow affecting my character, even though it is nots hown? hm.
When something affects your character, it should be noted on the character's page. I have no idea what this "!" is supposed to mean. o_o

If you have doubts, report it from the game, it does look like another TBM issue.

They should put some explanation somewhere (in the Encyclopedia for ex), there's still a lot of things we have to guess. You can also get skulls under the avatars, then there are all the indications in the crusade system (and the crusade system itself).

Hopefully they'll have the time to do that later.

I don't remember seeing this. Does it do anything if you hover over ?

Finding the right scroll / potion can be pretty challenging. Sure, the most common ones such as healing potions are pretty easy to recognize, but for those you don't need that often such as Death Ward, it's much more difficult. I wish the interface was different and/or that we could have a search bar.

Yeah, I have so much stuff! Usually I order by type and just kind of scan down the list... I never use most of them but I am a compulsive hoarder. Or order by value - often the scrolls/potions I want are the pricier ones (like heal etc). But there should be some way of ordeirng them that reflects utility e.g. healing, armour bonus etc. I'd love to know at a glance which bonuses to stats/armour a usable gives, because so many do not stack and are worse than my item bonuses (so can be sold). I don't have the energy to scroll throuh everything to check...unless I am desperate and come up against a super bad enemy.

Back
Top Bottom