Elden Ring - Gameplay Clip

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@DSOGaming A new gameplay clip for Elden Ring.

A new video was leaked earlier today, showcasing 25 seconds of brand new gameplay footage from Elden Ring. Now I know this isn't much, but I'm certain that all Elden Ring fans will appreciate it as it can give them a glimpse at the game's visuals and art style. Also, and according to the leaker, this gameplay footage is from the Xbox One version. So yeah, don't expect next-gen visuals from this clip.

[...]

https://streamable.com/ohtwj8
More information.

I posted a link to the same clip a little while ago but didn't know what platform it was from. I'm glad to hear it's Xbox One footage because I found it underwhelming from a visual standpoint.

Hopefully there's a significant difference between that and the next-gen/PC versions.

I posted a link to the same clip a little while ago but didn't know what platform it was from. I'm glad to hear it's Xbox One footage because I found it underwhelming from a visual standpoint.

Hopefully there's a significant difference between that and the next-gen/PC versions.

I'm sure the graphics will be better but I'm more interested in there being fluid animations and movement. The game seems rather like Dark Souls but with jumping and an openish world. I don't mind that as I like exploring but the world seems rather generic from that clip. Its not a big bother for me through in all honesty. I will likely receive the game much differently as I search for interesting places to see.

I wouldn't expect much of a difference between PC and console. Their games have never been on the high-end of visuals in terms of pure technical ability. It's more often that they have nice to great graphical design, but in terms of pure visual fidelity I wouldn't expect much. The little snippet looks fine to me. Gameplay, level design and combat encounters is where they truly shine.

Dark Souls with jumping is going to be an interesting experience. I'm quite looking forward to play this one.

I wouldn't expect much of a difference between PC and console. Their games have never been on the high-end of visuals in terms of pure technical ability. It's more often that they have nice to great graphical design, but in terms of pure visual fidelity I wouldn't expect much. The little snippet looks fine to me. Gameplay, level design and combat encounters is where they truly shine.

Idk, the PS5 Demon's Souls remake looks amazing compared to that. Yeah, I know the remake was done by a third party, but it shows how much better the visual fidelity is on the newer consoles compared to last-gen.

Idk, the PS5 Demon's Souls remake looks amazing compared to that. Yeah, I know the remake was done by a third party, but it shows how much better the visual fidelity is on the newer consoles compared to last-gen.

Yeah, but that's also a console exclusive. I would suspect that since they knew the underlying hardware was fixed they could optimize their code to hell and back. The same for most console exclusive if you look at Last of Us and God of War, for ex. Compared to needing to run on multiple consoles and PCs, where you probably need to code against a more generic API, or maybe multiple depending on the platform. I would imagine anyway.

Anyway, I wouldn't sweat too much how it looks. Sekiro and Bloodborne also looked pretty great, but also mostly due to design. Elden Ring, on the other hand, looks more like Dark Souls and the same as with Dark Souls, that's more generic medieval fantasy. So I assume Elden Ring will suffer from some of the genericity, if that's a word.

Yeah, but that's also a console exclusive. I would suspect that since they knew the underlying hardware was fixed they could optimize their code to hell and back. The same for most console exclusive if you look at Last of Us and God of War, for ex. Compared to needing to run on multiple consoles and PCs, where you probably need to code against a more generic API, or maybe multiple depending on the platform. I would imagine anyway.

Anyway, I wouldn't sweat too much how it looks. Sekiro and Bloodborne also looked pretty great, but also mostly due to design. Elden Ring, on the other hand, looks more like Dark Souls and the same as with Dark Souls, that's more generic medieval fantasy. So I assume Elden Ring will suffer from some of the genericity, if that's a word.

I don't consider Dark Souls generic medieval fantasy. In fact, I don't think it resembles medieval fantasy much at all. More like a twisted nightmare version of it.

As for the visuals, being available for last-gen doesn't mean there won't be a significant difference on newer consoles and PC. Of course I also realize it also doesn't mean there will be one either. It all depends on what the studio does and how much effort they put into taking advantage of the superior hardware.

I don't consider Dark Souls generic medieval fantasy. In fact, I don't think it resembles medieval fantasy much at all. More like a twisted nightmare version of it.

Yeah, I guess I meant it's more of hodge-podge of medieval fantasy mixed with other stuff that's imo doesn't really work that well. And so for me the result is a generic kind of mess. It does have some charm, but mostly feels very direction-less.

It's a beautiful landscape with a lot of features that look ripe for exploration, but, other than a couple of birds and one of those caravans we've seen guarded by hollows in another clip, it seems rather devoid of objects. I suppose they're all too far away to be drawn, for the sake of performance. I'd assume that caravan also has guards. I hope they don't pop in too much. Could be pretty jarring to view the swamp from the top of those rocks, think it looks empty and safe, then suddenly a bunch of monsters pop in right in front of you.

I'm also reminded of other open world games, such as Elderscrolls, which are often referred to as "walking simulators" where there's so much open space with nothing going on that the devs just pack it full of herbs and berries to collect. I hope we're not in for more of that tedium.

!!!!Warning Shitpost Incoming you have been warned!!!!

I feel a great disturbance in the force as millions of fanboys cry out in ecstasy.
:p

Back
Top Bottom