Encased - Patch 1 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Encased - Patch 1

Default Encased - Patch 1

October 14th, 2021, 16:46
As promised, Dark Crystal Games have uploaded their first regular patch for Encased. This update to version 1.1.1013.1238 weighs 9.3 GB (on GOG anyway).

ENCASED -- PATCH 1

As you probably already noticed, the work on Patch 1 took a little delay, but there are objective reasons for this - there really are a lot of changes and improvements. In addition to fixing the voiceover, incorrect descriptions, bugs and typos, we focused on improving the user experience: a lot of changes were made to the game interface, balance, mechanics and, of course, optimizations - now the game runs faster and a little more stable. This is partly attributable to you, Dear Players, as many errors in the game have been fixed thanks to your bug reports.

We also listen closely to the suggestions you offer across our social networks. Thank you for your words of support and well-reasoned criticism. And above all, thank you for staying with us - it matters a lot to us.

[…]
More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

October 14th, 2021, 16:49
Here are the details.

Spoiler

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

October 14th, 2021, 17:23
Looks like this will shape up to be another good game to play.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

October 14th, 2021, 22:55
I just finished it yesterday. About 55 hours total, and I think I completed almost all of it. I specifically built a max XP/skills build and reached lvl53.

It looks great, plays pretty well too. It has three things preventing it from being great.

1. Random loot. Making it a hobo sim. Checking 100+ flower pots hoping to strike the artifact is getting really old pretty fast. Even more boxes to loot to get some generic loot to disassemble for crafting or sell.

2. Unbalanced roleplaying system. Some skills are a must have, some are not so. Same for perks. Combat is therefore a quite boring affair. You either build a stealth build and lol-roll the game's toughest opponents or go any other build and struggle for 15 levels. This pretty much killed the game for me. I was planning to run it at least 2 times: with smart Long Range char and then a dumb melee. And then realized it will be a stealth play no matter what. Skill is called Criminal and it is used for both stealth and lockpicking.

3. When I first played the EA game 2 years ago it was just a large station with really good quests, fleshed out NPCs and interesting game mechanics. In release version this station constitutes about half of the game's content. They added plenty of locations but either did not have the budget or time to finish them. These locations are unique, look gorgeous and seem interesting, but are almost devoid of any meaningful content. may be for DLC?

I still have to play through Trudograd. But I wasn't impressed by Atom that much either, compared to Underrail.

BlackVoid

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

October 15th, 2021, 00:17
Riddle me this , riddle me that why are the last two patches over 6+ GB's?

They technically call it path one but there was another launch patch as well.
--
ďOpinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.Ē

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)

October 15th, 2021, 04:30
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
I just finished it yesterday. About 55 hours total, and I think I completed almost all of it. I specifically built a max XP/skills build and reached lvl53.

I still have to play through Trudograd. But I wasn't impressed by Atom that much either, compared to Underrail.
Hmm! I'm glad you posted this because I have this sitting in my library. I was an EA backer, too. I liked what I played from what I remember, reminded me of the original Fallout games mixed with the old tabletop game Paranoia, kinda. At least in set and setting.

I'll probably wait for a while to play this one because I have some other games going on right now anyway. I really liked both Underrail and ATOM; though I'll agree Underrail is a… hmm. Well, it's a unique gem unlike anything else and I don't know that I could say ATOM was the same but I enjoyed ATOM. It's like comparing a fine cognac glazed steak to a piece of good pizza; both were good, one was undeniably a more complicated and interesting experience; but I'm glad both exist.

Maybe I'm hungry, I keep comparing games to food right now it seems.

I am waiting to play the second ATOM game as well but I don't think I've actually purchased it yet. It's languishing on my wishlist, to one day possibly be remembered and played during a sale.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 15th, 2021, 06:11
55 hours sounds plenty meaty enough to me. I don't need every RPG I play to approach 100 hours or more.

I hope they work on balancing it a little better though.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
+1:

October 15th, 2021, 09:22
Yes, 40-50 hours are plenty for me too, especially since you can replay it. A larger game was simply not in their budget so I think that was per design to limit the scope.

I completely agree with 1) and 2), though I wouldn't say that's preventing the game from being great. I think it would need a little more on the story / companion, and a more mature combat system too. Those are good and I'm perfectly happy, but if I had to say a game is great, I would need to love the combat system, and to be completely captivated by the story and by discovering my companions (but again, not the scope of this game). The loot wouldn't make it any less great IMO.

Balancing has always been an issue with custom rulesets, but unless you really screw up your character in Encased, there are always ways to get things done. Either with companions or boost, and if not, by another path. So that may be an inconvenience now and then, but it's not unforgiving.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

October 15th, 2021, 20:43
I found myself a little disinterested in playing atm, maybe because I jumped back into Elex, but

Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
They added plenty of locations but either did not have the budget or time to finish them. These locations are unique, look gorgeous and seem interesting, but are almost devoid of any meaningful content.
I feel that the office/science buildings are very repetitive. I've made it as far as Magellan station currently.

mbuddha

Sentinel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Encased - Patch 1