Demonicon

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch
Had this in my library for some time, don't know when I even bought it, fired it up yesterday.

Anyone played this, I'm about 5 or so hours in. Now Witcher (I) influence is all over this: art, world design, ambiance, UI, rpg systems, combat, npcs, dialogue, etc.
It's weaker on that front, but I really like what they did with rpg/levelling mechanics... this one has surprising skill variety: disarm traps, diplomacy, lockpick, lore, etc, and they all come up pretty frequently. Exp seems pretty tight, so seems you need to narrow your build. Not sure how much is required though.
Combat on the other hand feels like a (lot) clumsier version of Witcher II/Spiders games/Piranha Bytes.. has that common issue of clumsy movement and camera+ throwing mobs that easily stunlock.
Story is a bit weird though ( main character is kind of like a mix between Geralt/sarcastic Hawke): game straight away throws you into romance relationship with your..sister? And whole plot so far seems to revolve around it ( really didn't go well when you met her fiance, some knight ponce or something).There are hints you're not really relatives and some kind of magic connection between the two, but it's damn weird how fast,straightforward it is about it.

I finished it at launch, dont remember so many things, but i do remember the story was great, for me anyway; reminded me of Game of Thrones the rpg. As for the gameplay it was kinda mediocre and clunky, like many low budget games.

I finished the game as well, in about 13 hours. I remember enjoying it. The plot is indeed unusual and very dark. It reminded me a lot of the better Spider's Games. The combat is, as mentioned, pretty clumsy, but what rpgs systems are in the game work pretty well, and I liked the unique story and atmosphere. A very decent choice for a budget rpg for in between.

I've had it in my Steam library for quite a while but have never played it. 13 hours? Is it really that short?

Thanks for bringing it up. It is a title I've been considering. I haven't really played any RPGs for ages and considered not going with one of the high profile ones like PoE or D:OS. Other candidates are games from Spiders (of Orcs and Men, Techomancer, Bound by Flame, Mars: War Logs) or perhaps even David W. Bradleys Dungeon Lords! (Probably the Collectors Edition as the Steam and MMXII editions are have less favourably reviews)

Don't waste your time with Dungeon Lords. Trust me when I say it's not worth it - especially when there are so many better crpgs to spend your time on.

I finished the game as well, in about 13 hours. I remember enjoying it. The plot is indeed unusual and very dark. It reminded me a lot of the better Spider's Games. The combat is, as mentioned, pretty clumsy, but what rpgs systems are in the game work pretty well, and I liked the unique story and atmosphere. A very decent choice for a budget rpg for in between.

My experience of the game pretty much mirrored yours, but it took me about 23 hours to complete. Then again my play style tends to be fairly slow and methodical, and if I'm honest I sort of suck at action combat (shudders at the memory of that damn hellhound boss in Witcher I).

I love long and/or complex rpgs but sometimes I have neither the time nor the concentration levels that they require, so at those times, games like these are great in-betweens. Another similar game I enjoyed was Venetica and I'm just about to start Of Orcs and Men.

No idea how you get through this this fast, I've put in more than 20+ hours and still in Chapter III.
Game is pretty solid, if I went in blind would think CDPR made a separate game around 2010'. Story so far feels like mix of Baldur's Gate and Witcher.

Ok it wasn't that long, finished. Pleasant surprise, not that many Witcher-like rpgs out there and this one is almost on par with it... Better combat and char progression, weaker world design, ambiance and side quests.
Writing is sort of similar like in Risen II, not exactly stellar quality, but with it's own "quirky charm".
If you yearn for something similar ( and I know that you do: https://youtu.be/vnqBAuehmhM?t=76), I'd give this more than a go. Definitely underrated.

The game was 16h for me.
It was a while ago since I played it, but I remember immediately disliking it, and only sticking with it because I had been told that the story was good, and it turned out to be true. It does have a pretty good story, and an interesting setting, and the gameplay gets a bit better after a while, although it never becomes "good". Worth playing, but not worth going out of your way to get, would be my verdict.

Thanks for bringing it up. It is a title I've been considering. I haven't really played any RPGs for ages and considered not going with one of the high profile ones like PoE or D:OS. Other candidates are games from Spiders (of Orcs and Men, Techomancer, Bound by Flame, Mars: War Logs) or perhaps even David W. Bradleys Dungeon Lords! (Probably the Collectors Edition as the Steam and MMXII editions are have less favourably reviews)

If you mean Pillars of Eternity with PoE (and not Path of Exile), then go for that one, it's amazing! D:OS is also really good. The games by Spiders are all clunky and unpolished, but they do have a certain charm. I did not finish Bound by Flame or Mars: War Logs, but I found Of Orcs and Men oddly compelling, despite its many many flaws. Dungeon Lords was a game I disliked.

I completed Demonicon in 14 hours. Whilst relatively short, the narrative was interesting enough for me to see it through. I also think one of the unique concepts that the game explores is the idea to essentially create your own philosophical and religious framework. That's one of the things that sticks to my mind whenever I think of this title; not to mention some taboo subject material and other interesting choices late game as welll.

The combat is fast, clunky and awkward, but still playable enough for this genre.

Back
Top Bottom