BioWare - Jade Empire 2 Was In Development?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Given how "meh" Jade Empire was, I can only be so sad about this.

Given how "meh" Jade Empire was, I can only be so sad about this.

It may have been meh but at least it was something new instead of space themes and the typical medieval fantasy. They were probably to busy with masseffect.

It may have been meh but at least it was something new instead of space themes and the typical medieval fantasy. They were probably to busy with masseffect.

Unfortunately, new themes do nothing for me if the game itself isn't good.

Jade Empire was incredibly linear and rigid - even according to Bioware standards. It was PAINFULLY obvious that it was developed for the Xbox - and for some reason they opted to go away from interesting character development - and move towards almost pure arcade combat.

The story, from what I remember, was super cliché and typical of the western approach to asian mythology.

Just plain not for me :)

Well, while I agree with you about most things DArt.

I have to say the atmosphere was great. Which made it my favorite bioware game.

atmosphere is one of the things their other games are really lacking IMHO.

Sad about the second game, perhaps they could have improved on both the good and bad parts. We can probably blaim EA for this too :D

Well, while I agree with you about most things DArt.

I have to say the atmosphere was great. Which made it my favorite bioware game.

atmosphere is one of the things their other games are really lacking IMHO.

Sad about the second game, perhaps they could have improved on both the good and bad parts. We can probably blaim EA for this too :D

Nothing wrong with the atmosphere - but it's just not enough for me.

I think Mass Effect had fantastic atmosphere, and so did KotOR.

Dragon Age was decent in that way, but Dragon Age 2 was abysmal.

I consider JE roughly on par with DA2, maybe slightly better due to the setting. I'd love to see "Jade Empire meets Dragon Age" or some such thing. Basically a BG or DA style game in the JE setting.

I think Mass Effect had fantastic atmosphere, and so did KotOR.Dragon Age was decent in that way, but Dragon Age 2 was abysmal.

Now that I can agree on. Lets hope the next installment is better.:disappointed:
Oh wait I forgot about all the dlc coming.:biggrin:

Damn… it pains me to agree with DAatagnan on something. ;)

While I didn't dislike Jade Empire, I certainly found it underwhelming. It was far too linear for my taste, and the maps were tiny by crpg standards. I do agree that it had great atmosphere, and I thought the art direction was very good as well, but those things aren't enough to make me want to replay it.

The combat became very boring and predictable half-way through the game, and I just didn't find the overall experience very compelling. For me it was about on par with KoTOR, but I'm not a fan of that game either.

Damn… it pains me to agree with DAatagnan on something. ;)

While I didn't dislike Jade Empire, I certainly found it underwhelming. It was far too linear for my taste, and the maps were tiny by crpg standards. I do agree that it had great atmosphere, and I thought the art direction was very good as well, but those things aren't enough to make me want to replay it. The combat became very boring and predictable half-way through the game though. For me it was about on par with KoTOR, but I'm not a fan of that game either.

The real pain is having to disagree when you know I'm right ;)

The theme, characters, all that stuff I really liked. Everything about Jade Empire was fun except mid-to late game combat. Learn a couple moves, do those moves ad-infinitum or til you fall asleep. In a kung fu game, that's a death sentence

I liked that game a lot... characters, atmosphere, looks, humor, even the clichés. And, of course, the slash options (not talking about combat here).
Too bad, I would have loved to see JE2.

I quite liked it. Wasn't perfect, but different enough atmosphere that it was a nice diversion

I think I played it on the xbox even.

I liked Jade Empire for how unique the setting was, and I enjoyed the story, some of the characters, the themes and the lore, but the gameplay was atrociously shallow and repetitive. It definitely failed to make me feel like my character was a martial arts expert, and there wasn't any sort of tactical depth to make up for the poor real-time combat. And being limited to bringing along only one party member? When I have 6+ party members to choose from???

I enjoyed Jade Empire for what it was. A light hearted action adventure. It was a fun game over all. The setting was a refreshing change compared to the usual medevil stuff and it shows that devs had fun time developing it. Characters were familiar archetypes from kung fu films, heh the whole game took a lot of influence from eastern cinema.

Whats bad then? I enjoyed the variety of different fighting styles, but I feel that they left the whole thing half-baked. Neither strategy or fast reflexes were needed to win. You just pushed the button like in some arcade game. They should have made it either more rpg or forget the whole rpg angle entirely. Since it wanted to be a rpg, i missed my inventory and looting. JE proves that rpg is nothing without looting and inventory. Lastly character development was lacking punch and the gameworld was horribly linear.

Despite the flaws the ip had potential. Its a shame if they have abandoned it entirely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom