Witcher 2 What level is everyone playing on

The Witcher 2
Well made it to chapter one playing on hard ....it wasn't easy but now that I have made level 6 it seems to be getting easier...
Damm work, family life getting in the way of only being able to play for a bit at a time...

Well made it to chapter one playing on hard ….it wasn't easy but now that I have made level 6 it seems to be getting easier…

Heh heh… There are some battles later in Chapter 1 that are far, far tougher than anything in the prologue.

I almost broke my keyboard several times yesterday, and no I'm not exaggerating. :)

Me and you already posted on the dragon part in the prologue which i died (10000000 times). My wife thought I was going to smash my computer...LOL

K hard is hard…i mean flipping hard

Not much of a spoiler but it is flipping hard….

And yeah, the dragon on the bridge was ridiculous. The inclusion of QTEs was a questionable decision at best, imo.

So glad I wasn't the only one cursing at this sequence. Being at the wrong place at the wrong time (in the dragon's fire) is intakill. It was the first thing I played in the game and I didn't even know how to fight yet! I think that could have used some tweaking before release.

Me and you already posted on the dragon part in the prologue which i died (10000000 times). My wife thought I was going to smash my computer…LOL

Heh. I made it after 3 tries. Bow to my uber-Le33t Conz0le QTE sikllzz!!!11 ;)
However:
The temple courtyard fight got me floored quite a few time though, until I found a quiet spot on a grave in the nearby graveyard to meditate and quaff a Swallow before the fight. How appropriate :)

BTW can anybody help who has finished the prologue?
Anybody have a tip on how to successfully sneak / knock guards out in the prison escape sequence? I only manged one so far…

BTW can anybody help who has finished the prologue?
Anybody have a tip on how to successfully sneak / knock guards out in the prison escape sequence? I only manged one so far…

Get behind them and hit RMB, although it's easier said then done. I ended up just killing them.

Try extinguishing torches if you haven´t already, it should help quite a bit.

Last edited:
hard what else?
didn't get to play any yesterday but i'm a few hours into chapter 1 and yes there were some fights that were insanely hard, primarly the one right before you open the castle gate after sneaking inside.

the hardest part though is realizing that there's no storage and i'm thinking of replaying my beginning in flotsam and not looting all of the crafting supplies in the chests. does anyone no if the loot is random? if not i might consider delving into a little mapping schematic of supply storage for later use--timesink

I play on normal… but was forced to set it back to Easy after a certain sword-wielding, magic-slinging opponent handily kicked my ass in Chapter 1.

Thanks guys!
I replayed that section, knocking out all guards. Main thing was to really wait until they had their back to me - before I tried clubbing them from the side when they passed, which didnt work.

the hardest part though is realizing that there's no storage and i'm thinking of replaying my beginning in flotsam and not looting all of the crafting supplies in the chests. does anyone no if the loot is random? if not i might consider delving into a little mapping schematic of supply storage for later use—timesink

Only dropped loot is random afaict, stored loot is hand placed.

I play on normal but find myself sometimes forced to go back to easy mode (same reason as Drithius). There seems to be a large gap between the regular mobs and bosses, and between bosses as well.

I do agree with some posters above that getting some levels (and better gear) helps alot and makes normal very viable again (beginning of chapter 2 now, level 15).

I recently played a game, Avadon, where I end change difficulty mode more often than I wish, and ended found it a minor but slightly tedious point.

BUT, I haven't decided if it's the game difficulty management that was not enough polished or if it's because I'm a dumbed down player and when I lost a fight and see the game suggest me lower the difficulty if I feel it too hard, then I try analyze a bit and gave up fast and end lower the difficulty in rage.

At some point that dynamic difficulty change was something I was looking in a positive way, but I quoted in some recent games it drag me into a playing attitude involving a less good gameplay.

TW1 first true boss was certainly too difficult because too soon in the game for most players but the point is once you was using some tactics the fight was a lot easier. But at that point of the progression, the game hadn't lead the player on a learning curve making him reach a knowledge of fights allowing most players find the right tricks.

As I just posted in "First Impressions," I started on Normal difficulty but couldn't get past the prologue without the urge to smash my computer. I restarted on easy, but it was way too easy. So I dunno what to do?

I've noticed some people sound like they are changing difficulty on the fly. Is that possible? It looked to me like a one time choice. When I go into the game option screen the choices aren't there, but only when starting a new game.

As I just posted in "First Impressions," I started on Normal difficulty but couldn't get past the prologue without the urge to smash my computer. I restarted on easy, but it was way too easy. So I dunno what to do?

I've noticed some people sound like they are changing difficulty on the fly. Is that possible? It looked to me like a one time choice. When I go into the game option screen the choices aren't there, but only when starting a new game.

Esc —> Options —> Gameplay —> Difficulty

I'm in Chapter 3 now and have played on Normal all the way. Combat is sometimes frustrating, yes, but I rather like that I have to plan and use signs and potions sometimes even on the standard difficulty. If only combat was a little bit smoother it'd be perfect.

Im playing on easy, but mostly because I cant stand QTEs, not to mention I find the combat system garbage, and the difficulty curve to be silly. Why make the beginning of the game hard and have it get easier until the end of the game is effortless? Theres no gratification in that, its just annoying, so I cant be bothered, Im playing still because I love the game world, graphics and the writing but wishing for TW1's combat system. Too much reliance on twitch and reflexes which is bad for a RPG about a established persona. It makes more sense to rely on player skill when your playing a character you created.

With this, I tried seeing the Strategy and Tactics but when your getting zerged in real time by 10+ enemies, it turns into a clusterfuck and its just a fight for survival that doesnt see tactics and strat being really realized. Still Im in chapter 2 and its finally getting easier at least.

I dont think hard is going to become the new normal anytime soon, the mainstream would never accept it and all the major US publishers know not to piss off the milk cows.

Last edited:
I'm playing on normal. The monster at the broken bridge was hard to beat. (I failed to get the special monster trap).

Most of the combat becomes easy if you use potions AND magic (to avoid damage) AND use the block key (E) AND bombs; learning to block from all directions helps, too.
Last but not least always try to find, buy, build the top gear/weapons/items/enhancements. This game embraces powergaming. Do ALL side-quests before advancing to the next city. Explore ALL locations.

Back
Top Bottom