Fallout 4 - Things you should know @ Gamesradar

Pretty disappointed so far, this meta user review seems like what I would expect to see from honest review sites

Did this guy get his copy early or something? Otherwise, I don't see how could have played the game long enough at that point to give a comprehensive review.

Wait, does it have a central "hub" like New Reno or something? Or is it Megaton, all over again.
How exactly factions work in this one? Is it anything like Gothic…three roads to the same goal kind of thing?

Without getting too spoilery, some of the factions I've talked to (the ones I've been told by npcs I could seek to ally with against what appears to be the antagonist) seem to be very much at cross purposes in resolving some of the questions of the main plot. They're also not all mutually exclusive. At least early in the main plot (I triggered one significant change to the world and that's about it so far) it looks more like vegas where you can court multiple factions to a point but that a few of them are either/or when it comes down to some decisions.

The games fine, without being jaw-dropping, and doesn't deserve some of the histrionic rants that I've seen on metacritic - it's more of an evolution than revolution over the last 2 games. I've sunk 31 hours into it so far (Australia got it several hours before the US), and don't regret the money I spent on it at all.

Personally, I'd put it above FO3 (which I thought was average) and below FO:NV (which I really liked)

Last edited:
I stopped reading reviews as I have the game now and I know I already like it :)

I am just following mods and ENB now and occasionally checking WIKI for questions on perks.

I rarely if ever base my game purchase decisions on reviews. What I've found more reliable is watching game-play footage and development footage on YouTube. I can then see for myself how a game works in real practice from a real player. Same with Twitch TV.
To me, reviews are inherently suspect because I don't know what axe the reviewer has to grind. Is he being paid for a good review? Has he played it more than a couple hours? Does he really know the genre? Too many unanswered questions on which to base a purchase decision.

Yeah I have been playing it!

Agree, that it is not too bad, but I am not stuck to it like I was hoping I would be.

Bethesda really needs some people to look at Fallout new vegas and incorporate some of the good bits from that.

I have heard it is a binary ending, and that makes me a little disappointed.
I would give it perhaps 75/100.
I am glad I bought it, but certainly not ecstatic!

For a role-playing game centered forum, there's been a noticeable shortage of people writing or reporting about the role-playing elements. I've seen plenty of jabbering about the graphics, minecraft style scavenging and FPS gun-play, but very little on the choices and consequences, factional interplay and the actual role-playing opportunities on offer.

As a Fallout fan looking to know when I should get this, it'd be nice to hear more details about these things. :)

From what I read about this: Most quests are fetch and stupid. NPCs are uninteresting. VA is mostly bad. 4 choices in conversations is worse than in Bioware games. There are only some Charisma checks and for nothing important. This is only part of the bullshit I read about.

Last edited:
For a role-playing game centered forum, there's been a noticeable shortage of people writing or reporting about the role-playing elements. I've seen plenty of jabbering about the graphics, minecraft style scavenging and FPS gun-play, but very little on the choices and consequences, factional interplay and the actual role-playing opportunities on offer.

As a Fallout fan looking to know when I should get this, it'd be nice to hear more details about these things. :)

For down to earth people who, for no reason, think that a RPG is about role playing and that role playing is acting out of a role, the answer is plain and simple: FO4 does not define ingame roles and therefore, opportunities to role play do not exist.

For the intellectually graced people who are able to conceive that a RPG is about everything but roleplaying, that is about combat (combat is made intense even though it is by using "ugoigo" ropes of overgrown enemies), the quest for power, the possibility to be everything and anything, the feel of the big saviour of the big day etc, FO 4 is at least pretty decent to very good. No doubt about that.

The question on FO fanness is tricky. For sure, FO4 says good bye to what FO was (in terms of colours) in FO 1 and 2. Having not play FO3 for various reasons, it is impossible to say if 4 falls in line.

Fan expectations must be handled with care with that one.

What's so bad about it?

It is as bad as it is an excellent VR vanguard product.

VR is going to be a blessing for game devs as it changes fundamentals in gaming they have to learn how to make proper products.
This allows them a fresh restart in many departments and retrofit the expectations.

Some VR nice effects like ghouls falling from top floor to surround the PC etc

In the meantime, other dimensions like the gameworld and the approach to the gameworld are left behind.

No vibrant, living gameworld: the NPCs fill it, they do not live in it. They exist for the player. That is all. In this regard, the world is as PC centric as ever: everything flows through the player, settlements are grown to provide the player with more power, more quest opportunities, more trade opportunities...
The dependency on the environment is reduced to a minimum, the environment depends way more on the PC than the PC depends on the environment (the reduction of the survival aspects is one among other features)
etc

4 is as if they've rebooted on many previous dimensions, which is an expected effect of vr.

It's easily worth full price imo. If you liked FO3 and NV, FO4 is a must buy.

I was lukewarm to it at first because I didn't really care for how it started out. After about 15 hours though, I'm enjoying it as much as a modded FO3, and that's without any mods except for one that reduces the amount of XP from quests.

I can't yet say whether or not there's much C&C, but I've read not to expect it which comes as no surprise. Bethesda has never been strong in that category. The exploration and atmosphere are both excellent though, and those are the most important aspects to me along with the setting.

This is the first time since Morrowind that I've really enjoyed one of Bethesda's games at launch and without mods. If you're not currently playing anything, I say get it immediately. :)

Really looking forward to all the mods. Does Fallout 3 have as many mods as Skyrim? I just played FO3 and New Vegas without any mods. I have used dozens of mods with Skyrim.

I guess what I am asking is do you think FO4 will have a modding community as big as Skyrim?

The only thing that you should know before starting Fallout 4 is to wait a couple of years when it will be finally decent enough to play… for just a few dollars…

I feel the same about InXile stuff...

Back
Top Bottom