Quantcast
Torment: ToN First impressions - Page 6 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Torment: ToN First impressions

Default Torment: ToN First impressions

August 25th, 2017, 21:01
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
I 'll wait for the game to finish and if I enjoy it, will buy copies for friends or this site. That's what I did with Battle Brothers.
Not that I'm angling for a copy or anything, but the game is probably finished as it is. No patches in the last three months, not the faintest hint of anything being worked on, and the devs aren't posting in the technical help forum anymore. Plus, all the known members of the old team are now officially working on Wasteland 3.

Well, and they're giving the game away as a freebie now.

Ploppy

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 4th, 2017, 21:32
I just started playing (late, as usual). Wow! So many people!! So many old devices to muck around with! So many things to burn my intellect on! I'm going to be spending a lot of time resting in this game.

Six hours in and there's only been one battle, which I talked myself out of. I think I need a dungeon just for the mental break!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

September 4th, 2017, 22:47
Put some points into edge on intellect - it helps a lot.

Game got beat on but I loved it myself - really enjoyed it. Maybe part of that was simply that it was a nice change of pace from my other style of games I tend to focus on.

I am replaying it myself albeit slowly since I currently got into a new replay of FO I am enjoying as well as a new replay of Skyrim - same character whose soul was reincarnated But I digress …

There would be some things I would change in Torment myself but overall I was very happy with it and felt I got my money's worth out of the enjoyment.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

October 15th, 2017, 23:22
I think I need to give this one a weak down vote. I finished it but I was really forcing myself to play by the end of it. There’s most definitely an audience for this game, though.

The real killer for me was something I’ve never really even noticed that much in game design: story balance. RPGs typically have a main story, some larger side stories (e.g. companion quests and guild quests), and a bunch of small side quests that just introduce you to some lore, get you to actually explore a town you’ve discovered, or just give some comic relief. This game is weighed heavily toward the latter. The end credits made this really obvious as we got little text postludes for the main quest, each potential companion, and then… uhhh… well, here’s a few random ones.

The world didn’t impress me much, either, and not just because you’re almost always in one junk heap or another. The technology of the times was so ridiculously advanced that everything was possible. When that’s true, it really isn’t possible to surprise me.

I need to say that the actual writing is just fine. You can take most any of the quests out of the game, put it on a piece of paper, and have a nice little read. It’s just that most of the game felt more like Short Stories from the Ninth World rather than Tides of Numenera. Of course, f you happen to like collections of short stories, you’re going to have a feast on your hands with this game!

Balance just isn’t even close. This is a game mostly about conversations and to do that you want to have smarts. Speed is handy from time to time and might is handy
The characters are good ones for sure. I actually almost stopped playing early because I couldn’t decide which ones to take! They put a nice little feature in the game, though, that lets you swap companions around in your party so you can have a chat with any of them wherever you are. (Except maybe Rhyn. I… umm… disposed of her early in the game so I’m not sure how she worked.)
on rare occasion but mostly you want brain power in this game. Play a Nano for sure.

I’m not sure what the story is with the Tides. They’re very central to the story and your tides go up all through the game to tell you what alignment you are. However, if there’s really any affect beyond a couple of dialog options, I sure didn’t pick up on them.

So, if you enjoy short stories and think a world where practically anything is possible if you could just dig up the right artifact sounds fun, you should enjoy this one quite a bit. Otherwise, you can probably fine better things to play.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

October 16th, 2017, 02:08
Excellent write up. This game was on my list for most anticipated, unfortunately I don't think I'll ever play this game now that its been released and I can sense what its about. I honestly can't imagine myself reading a whole game.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 30th, 2017, 16:31
Just wanted to add that I've seen a printed "companion" book (or what it was) for this game last friday. It was based on the Numera pen & paper RPG setting in which the PC game takes place.

It was too expensive for my taste (44 Euros - imported, still in English language) so I didn't buy it, though.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Torment: ToN First impressions