Pillars of Eternity - Ready for Release & Expansion

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Obsidian Entertainment & Paradox Interactive today announced that Pillars of Eternity is ready for release next week on March 26th, and I cant wait to play the finished game.
Final Chance to Pre-Order Obsidian's before March 26 Release

IRVINE, CA — March 17, 2015 — Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive today announced that Pillars of Eternity, the fan-funded modern take on a classic role-playing game (RPG) set in an original world created by some of the best minds in RPG development, has reached “Gold Master” (GM) status, and is now ready for its release on March 26, 2015. Pillars of Eternity, originally called “Project Eternity” the 10th most funded Kickstarter ever and second most funded video game , has been in development for two and a half years, and is now ready to complete its journey, arriving on Windows, Mac, and Linux PC next week. The game will release globally, with backers receiving their digital copies as well.

“Seeing Pillars of Eternity through has been an incredible journey for all of us at a deeply personal level,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “When we took our idea to Kickstarter, our fans got behind us more than we ever thought. It’s been a blast to match their enthusiasm, see them cheer us on, and have them help to keep us on course every step of the way. It's crazy to think that more than two years have come and gone, but time flies that way when you are creating something as important as Pillars of Eternity has become to us.”

“We knew, when we joined forces with Obsidian, that both the studio and the game were a perfect match for us,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. “A core tenet at Paradox is staying closely connected to one’s players and community, and we’ve watched Obsidian do exactly that. From the handling of their crowd-funding to their open dialogue with fans on their forums, Obsidian has been dedicated to fulfilling their promises to players, and we’ve been glad for the chance to help them do it. We’re looking forward to working together with Obsidian for a long time to come.”
They also did a new Reddit AMA last night and talked about the expansion.
"I won’t reveal much about it since it’s early in development, but we’ve already have a small team working on areas and environments while the rest of the team focus on shipping the game. We will announcing more things about it over the next few months."
More information.

I love Obsidian, and despite my preference for true turn based combat, I'll be picking this one up sooner, rather than later. That written, they seem to be getting a bit ahead of themselves with talk of an expansion.

If the past is any indication, the initial release of POE will be riddled with bugs and crashes that'll need to be addressed.

Still, I can't help but be amused by all of this. Three years ago, if anyone so much as hinted that I'd be overwhelmed by the number of quality CRPG's coming out this year, I'd of thought they were daft. A good problem to have, but where to find the time to play them all?

I love Obsidian, and despite my preference for true turn based combat, I'll be picking this one up sooner, rather than later. That written, they seem to be getting a bit ahead of themselves with talk of an expansion.

I agree but they already mentioned the expansions before, but more content will probably depend on how well they sell the game to non-backers in the first month.
Still, I can't help but be amused by all of this. Three years ago, if anyone so much as hinted that I'd be overwhelmed by the number of quality CRPG's coming out this year, I'd of thought they were daft. A good problem to have, but where to find the time to play them all?
I remember talking about not having any RPG games to play, and complaining about the lack of releases. Now thanks to kickstarter I have more than enough RPGs to play.:celebrate:

If the past is any indication, the initial release of POE will be riddled with bugs and crashes that'll need to be addressed.

Thank kickstarter for this, contrary to what all the haters say.

They should be working on the expansion considering I (and a lot of other people) already pledged 20 dollars for it :) Of course different people are involved in different stages of development, designers and artists have close to zero involvement in bug fixing.

Likewise. I'd been wondering why I was charged $20 more than my pledge tier would have warranted. I forgot that I had bought the "expansion addon".

The sad truth is that patches don't pay the bills. New product does! Albeit new product that isn't prohibitively buggy at launch to ward off potential buyers...

They have to switch people over to the expansion. Not everyone (including artists for example) needs to sit on call to develop patches for the game y'know. There is absolutely no reason to not go ahead with producing the expansion, while still putting out patches (which will obviously benefit the expansion as well).

Josh has said a number of times that there will be patch support for the game.

There is no way this game bombs if WL2 and D:OS are any indication so I think they are safe to talk and work on an expansion.

That written, they seem to be getting a bit ahead of themselves with talk of an expansion.

Nah. The expansion was already a part of the Kickstarter so they don't have a choice but to deliver. Lookie here:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 155
Hmm I haven't played a game on release in years, but in this case I may make an exception! Will it be a buggy mess though?

Daniel.

It's not gonna be bug-free, and there will probably even be some *annoying* bugs here and there. When you're dealing with a game of this size and complexity, there are gonna be bugs at release.

Judging from the backer beta, it's certainly not what I'd call a buggy mess though.

Sawyer said on another forum that he felt that it was more buggy than Dungeon Siege III and South Park (not a surprise given that PoE will be muuuch bigger and more complex) but less so than Obsidian's other projects.

Guess we'll see soon.

Hmm I actually just bought South park on the sale, I may play that first instead. There’s no real rush. Besides I’m currently playing Arx Fatalis. :)

Daniel.

I've been playing a dating sim/puzzle game to kinda cleanse my palette before tackling this :) I've been about a month with no crpgs, unless you count Legends of Dawn.

Nah. The expansion was already a part of the Kickstarter so they don't have a choice but to deliver. Lookie here:
Of course they have a choice. Kickstarter campaigns aren't contracts. ;)
Actually quite the contrary: If sales are really low and they can't afford it, they don't have a choice but to cancel the expansion.

But I guess sales will be good enough for at least one expansion.

Actually quite the contrary: If sales are really low and they can't afford it, they don't have a choice but to cancel the expansion.

But I guess sales will be good enough for at least one expansion.

They would have to reimburse people who already paid for the expansion if they cancelled it (it was a Kickstarter add-on and also part of some of the more expensive package).

This is a bit of a grey area that hasn't really been tested in court yet. There are a few cases brewing, and we'll see what precedents are set. The EU, in particular, tends to lean in favour of protecting consumers.

There's a couple of lines of attack, including fraud, and the question of whether promising specific rewards in exchange for a set amount of money must constitute a sales contract.

It's probably a bit moot in most cases, though, as most failures will involve bust companies with no money to claim.

I backed this one, but will probably wait till summer to play it. I know waiting a few months paid off for Wasteland 2 and Might and Magic X, and it certainly can't hurt for this game either, still from my time on the backer forum, I think it will be pretty playable on release.

Josh has said a number of times that there will be patch support for the game.

That's what I will wait for.
Ark Fatalis is great:) Have you tried the mod for it? Ark Libatarius I think it is called

Back
Top Bottom