Skyrim - Remaster vs. Vanilla Comparison

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Eurogamer gives us a look at how the new, (hopefully) improved special edition of Skyrim will compare to the vanilla version.

Also: The mods you've been using in your Skyrim game will be compatible with the new version.

An enhanced remaster of The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim releases on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC this October. This new Special Edition is the first we've seen of this series on either console to date - it's a native 1920x1080 production, and based on trailer footage so far, it's also seemingly set to run at 30fps. We're promised quite a bit more though, and indeed the game borrows features from the more modern iteration of its Creation Engine, adding the rendering techniques for volumetric god rays and water shaders seen more recently in Fallout 4.

It's great news for PC crowd as well, and those who own all DLC of the original (or bought the Legendary Edition) receive this as a free update. Based on our tests, there's a visible difference between this remaster and the vanilla 2011 release, with the landscape improved by new assets; plants, mushrooms, stones and extra trees are more liberally dotted around the initial Riverwood village. A new depth of field effect is brought in too. As plucked from Fallout 4's settings menu, this allows backgrounds to dynamically fall in and out of focus depending on a player's line of sight.

Another element we noticed in matching our PC footage with this reveal trailer is that textures are identical. Bethesda's press materials offer up seven high quality BMP shots of the game - tellingly archived in a folder labeled 'Xbox One.' We've matched each of these with the PC game at maximum settings, and there's little to no difference in the quality of the texture work (barring one mountain-side near Riverwood). Assuming these are Xbox One screengrabs, it's pleasing to at least see texture filtering matches PC's top 16x anisotropic filtering setting, but the ground detail underfoot is precisely as it was before.

The more striking change is in this Special Edition's lighting. A glowing, sun-kissed appearance is in effect across its reveal trailer, notably in an overview of Solitude castle. It replaces the distinctive, colder hue of the original, and each comparison shot differs wildly from the tone of the vanilla release on PC. Actual geometry is untouched, and draw distances for objects and grass are identical to the PC's top setting in this wide overview. However, it's an undoubtedly warmer, hazier take on the world, with a post-process bloom effect also helping to fill the space.
Read more.

More information.

Did they just put a piss filter on it?

This will only partially fix the memory issues. Every DX9 game under Windows 8.x/10 is limited to 4064MB graphics RAM (VRAM and system RAM). It's a Microsoft issue. Win 7 users should be happy though.

That's true (I think we ranted about it before). But I think it's probably safe to assume that it will also be DX11. The Xbone version will be based on DX11, and the Fallout 4 engine is too. I would be very surprised if they created a 64bit version of a DX9 engine at this stage. I think those godrays they're showing are most likely using DX11 tessellation.

That's what I am hoping as well. If they have raised it to DX11 that would be perfect but I'm not overly optimistic because they have not said anything of the kind at E3. Todd Howard only said that the HD textures have been made even more HD. That was it. Wouldn't he have mentioned an upgrade from DirectX 9 to 11 as a major bullet point? Let's hope he just forgot :) .

I thought skyrim was a cold world, so why change the color scheme from cold to warm?

I thought skyrim was a cold world, so why change the color scheme from cold to warm?

I'm hoping they haven't, but rather have just chosen some weather and lighting effects that show off the contrast of the new version to the old.

It also seems to me this "remaster" is not much different… seems Bethesda just loves to rip off their customers. Good thing I have not bought any games from them since Morrowind :)
(and well FNV but I consider that a Obsidian game).

It also seems to me this "remaster" is not much different… seems Bethesda just loves to rip off their customers. Good thing I have not bought any games from them since Morrowind :)
(and well FNV but I consider that a Obsidian game).

I am not of Bethesda but how is this rip off? Its free on steam if you already have it. Its consoles players who have to chill out. Or are you arguing that buy once and play everywhere?

It seems that the main purpose of this remaster is to dip into the wallets of the PS4 and Xbox One user base but I won't complain about getting a free upgrade for my PC version.

I am not of Bethesda but how is this rip off? Its free on steam if you already have it. Its consoles players who have to chill out. Or are you arguing that buy once and play everywhere?
Only if you have legendary edition of Skyrim or Skyrim+all dlcs.

Yeah, it's pretty far from free if you never bought any of the DLCs.

I'm thoroughly unimpressed by what I just saw in that video.

Imo, the remastered version actually looks worse in some ways.

Only if you have legendary edition of Skyrim or Skyrim+all dlcs.

Fair enough but the legendary edition goes for around £5 (v £40 for consoles) these days so they are not asking much when it comes to PC users...

You guys are impossible. When CDPR does something like this, everybody praises them and their grandmas, but when it's Bethesda handing out something…

Of course they want to entice people to buy the DLC and to cut into the PS4 and Xbone markets with this, but that's hardly a ripoff. Didn't hear anyone crying "RIPOFF!" when Rockstar re-released an improved version of GTA5 on PC/PS4/XB1.

I remember a (free) graphics overhaul mod that required all DLC as well. Didn't cry about it, either.

When CDpr…
CDpr did not leave their game utterly broken. They're patching even smallstuff basically noone noticed while Beth left 2 gamebreak bugs in Skyrim's main story never fixed and hundreds of other glitches and annoyances elsewhere. That's where praises on CDpr come from. There is no CDpr's remaster and I don't think there will ever be one.

About GTA5 on PC it's not really ripoff - if you're expecting AAA driving different vehicles simulator with a bit of a story you'll get it. If you expect a masterpiece, well, you won't get one. GTA 5 is just nicelooking mediocre simulator with horrible controls on helicopter. Worth it's price, I'd say yes, worth the praise, definetly not.
About GTA5 on consoles dunno nothing. Nor care. I never felt sorry for people joining sects just because someone else's opinion then whining later how they were tricked. Also, I don't care for mushroom fetish. Anyone can live without it instead of becoming a slave.

What graphics overhaul mod are we talking about here?
The only game I remember that was released with locked graphics eyecandy on PC is Ubisoft's Watch Dogs. That game needed a mod to unlock all the spectacle consoles cannot display. Ubi locked what was possibly the best graphics at that time on PC so the game doesn't look on PC so much better than on phones.

Back
Top Bottom