Battlefront 2..EA taking hit.

Looks like a day of reckoning. The whole market has also dropped sharply on the Trump news.

Developers? What wrongs they did? The decisions were elsewhere.

There is only one choice.
EA needs to fire the bloody CEO already.

What? For finally finding the line that gamers won't let you cross? Or at least won't QUITE let you cross - the game still sold a lot of copies.

My take on this is that the sharemarket is unhappy EA has dropped microtransactions (albeit temporarily) and is course correcting EAs profit projections lower in the meantime. Long term the sharemarket expects EA to PR massage the audience and resume the upmarket profit trajectory with increasing monetisation going forward.

My take on this is that the sharemarket is unhappy EA has dropped microtransactions (albeit temporarily) and is course correcting EAs profit projections lower in the meantime. Long term the sharemarket expects EA to PR massage the audience and resume the upmarket profit trajectory with increasing monetisation going forward.

Another brilliant mind Chien-hacked.
You will be missed and mourned my brother... and never forgotten.

EA did nothing wrong. It's those damn communists who refuse to buy their games and complain that are the problem!

In fact, the CEO should get a double bonus for having to suffer through all this abuse!

Thankfully, gamers' memories are short, and this will all blow over once they get acclimated to the loot box business model.

(P.S. just kidding)

Last edited:
The high profile of the brand, more often than not, made Star Wars games immune to criticism from bad design decisions.

In this case, it made the problem front and center to the general public where low profile games have gone under the radar. Disney threw EA under the bus to avoid blame when at any point they could have called them out and stopped it.

A 3 billion dollar loss is going to make EA think though. This could be good for gamers who hate this kind of stuff.

EA could go flat broke and it still wouldn't get me to install such crap as Origin or Ubijunk on a computer that I actually like. That boat sailed like, ten years ago or so, maybe even more. The taint encompasses much more than just EA.

It turns out that EA liked about cosmetic customization in Star Wars Battlefront 2, it is hidden in the game, a hacker, I assume found it.

Can you draw a giant penis on your helmet? Not playing unless you can do that.

Last edited:
I bet you can. But to do that, you need to pay up $19.99.

I found that Star Wars games about the Empire are always the ones with better stories, and better presentation. A great bias. Just compare the X-Wing series with the incredibly good missions of TIE Fighter. And then SWTOR. And now this - there simply is NO GAME AT ALL telling a similar story about the Rebel military or other Rebel or Republic things. In the end, because everybody follows the trail following the premise that "everybody LOVES playing EVIL !" , we know the imperial military FAR MORE better than the one of either REpublic or Rebellion through these games.

I hate this bias. Very much. Because it spoiled my SWTOR experience - and the one of the X-Wing series, because the X-Wing Alliance story is great in itself, but by far not as good as the one in TIE Fighter. XWA is a story about a family, and we still don't learn as much aboutr the Rebel military structure as we do with TIE Fighter.

It's not cash grabbing…. from a certain point of view :)

I'm sure Sakichop can explain.

So Disney is angry at EA for making a Star Wars cash grab? hmmmm...............

I found that Star Wars games about the Empire are always the ones with better stories, and better presentation. A great bias. Just compare the X-Wing series with the incredibly good missions of TIE Fighter. And then SWTOR. And now this - there simply is NO GAME AT ALL telling a similar story about the Rebel military or other Rebel or Republic things. In the end, because everybody follows the trail following the premise that "everybody LOVES playing EVIL !" , we know the imperial military FAR MORE better than the one of either REpublic or Rebellion through these games.

I hate this bias. Very much.

It has nothing to do with that premise.

The bias takes its root in the original story. It is a verbose tale about the grand battle between good and the lately (relatively to human history) introduced absolute evil.
Good, by intent, is set to prevail.

It sets an imperative: what to tell once the battle is over. The story framework does not bring a satisfying sense of closure: people desire to hear more.

Yet the story of the afterwards is not a story they desire to hear. And they do not desire to see the story end.

The resolution of the contradiction is to acknowledge the dark side as the ultimate gate to prevent the unwished end to happen. The dark side, by structure, is the major point of interest.

Once absolute evil is gone, the rest is burdensome. People usually speak of escapism when actually they would like reinforcement. They loathe on different things. They want to occupy all the space: fictional stories must reflect and show that, even in exotic places, things are unchanged, they remain the same.

This limits the stories that can be told. By this virtue, people are irritated when they are shown jedi knights committed to justice. They are angered when they see Klingons who want to remain klingon speak klingon.

The bias was there from the start, it is an unsustainable promise. Quite common in nowadays' storytelling. The Punisher is another con story: the hero kills indiscriminately while being pressed to place his killings in a moral light. As soon as it is done, the story is over.

The empire is the focal point because it is what prevented the story from ending.

Right now, writers are struggling trying to introduce shades in evil, it is no longer the dark and the light side etc They try to offset the legacy of the absolute evil angle taken from the start.

Back
Top Bottom