NWN Forgotten Realms module questions.

D

Deleted User

Yo. :)

I'd like to explore more of the Forgotten Realms, and I was wondering if someone who was very familiar with NWN modules could point me in the right direction here. I'd like to make a main character (my current BG/BG2 character) and take him through more Forgotten Realms adventures, only in NWN.

Of course, I would just be creating the BG character at level 1 in NWN and loading up some modules, so my question is - What would be a good progression of modules to take that character to a high level while also playing several great fanmade modules?

Example: I would create the character, start with a low level module, maybe that would take you from level 1-5. Then I'd like to take that character through another module that takes you from 5-11, then 12-20, whatever way it would work, just as long as you could take that character through a bunch of campaigns and continuously level them up and keep their progression from game to game.

First, is this even possible? Second, I'm alright with losing gear between adventures, since that might be necessary to keep the modules balanced, but I'd like to keep character stats, etc.. And if there is a way to keep gear between modules and not be overpowered, that would be cool!

I've only played loose modules here and there with unique characters each time, so I'd like to try this for something different. So any ideas if this is even possible, and which modules to start with for a good progression through more FR content?

Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers. :party:

It's been a very long time, so I could be remembering wrong, but I am certain that you can level a character and import that character into another module (as long as the module allows that).

Yeah, it seems that way. After a bit of Googlin' it seems I'm after what's called a Hero's Path -

https://neverwintervault.org/article/reference/heros-path-module-list-nwn1

Which is simply another name for taking one character through many different modules in order. That list in the link also lists modules that let you keep your gear between adventures, too. :)

Yes was just about to post about The Hero's Path thread. Very useful.

As mentioned you save your character at the end of a module and then load it via the pre-made option when starting the next one.

If there's custom items in their inventory these might not translate. Have a look at Zorco's Keeps - A Persistent Way Station by caesarbear as a way to keep/sell that sort of stuff.

Also, I highly recommend the OldMansBeard's Henchman System. Used in conjunction with a character building module (I use The Halls Of Advanced Training but there's lots of these) it lets you create your own party in any module. The party can be carried over from module to module if you like. I've used it for years, is great for adding just a single companion like a tank for a mage or a rogue to handle thief stuff up to a full party. I've also used it a few times to re-create a companion from a completed module or series so the main PC can continue adventuring together with their buddy/wife/pet whatever. Only caveat re OHS is it's not compatible with TonyK's AI mod (I've read).

Anyway, lots of fun. I've played a handful of characters through multiple modules in this way. As is obvious I really enjoy it.

=)

Yes was just about to post about The Hero's Path thread. Very useful.

As mentioned you save your character at the end of a module and then load it via the pre-made option when starting the next one.

If there's custom items in their inventory these might not translate. Have a look at Zorco's Keeps - A Persistent Way Station by caesarbear as a way to keep/sell that sort of stuff.

Also, I highly recommend the OldMansBeard's Henchman System. Used in conjunction with a character building module (I use The Halls Of Advanced Training but there's lots of these) it lets you create your own party in any module. The party can be carried over from module to module if you like. I've used it for years, is great for adding just a single companion like a tank for a mage or a rogue to handle thief stuff up to a full party. I've also used it a few times to re-create a companion from a completed module or series so the main PC can continue adventuring together with their buddy/wife/pet whatever. Only caveat re OHS is it's not compatible with TonyK's AI mod (I've read).

Anyway, lots of fun. I've played a handful of characters through multiple modules in this way. As is obvious I really enjoy it.

=)

Yeah, that sounds like what I'm trying to do, thanks!

In BG I have been dropping characters in and out in a roleplaying sort of way. Like after Nashkel's incidents, I parted ways with Jaheira and Khalid, as though they had helped me to the point they should have and we were moving on. It was pretty interesting, even if not super efficient since you lost stronger party members and ended up taking a hit there. But it was fun. Would be cool to take different characters, etc., throughout NWN modules the same way.

Wow, weird you posted this, as last night I found Siege of Shadowdale and was going to start with that for my level 1 campaign! :)

I have done just that on a character or two. It’s been so long ago that I’ll have to look at downloaded modules to trigger my memory.

Ah, alright. Would be cool if some people shared their own Hero Paths here. Could be cool to see the different ways to do it, and if anyone has done it for different settings as well.

This is a great thread. I'll make use of it when I pick up the EE!

This is a great thread. I'll make use of it when I pick up the EE!

For what it's worth I'm putting together a text file with what should be my first progression through a Hero's Path for the Forgotten Realms. So far I have (with many more to come after researching):

Level 1, start of the path - Siege of Shadowdale.
Depending on which level that takes me to I'll find a module for that starting level.
Level 8, Darkness Over Daggerford.

And that's all so far, lol. I will probably have to just see what level I get to in each module to determine where to go from there. For example, Siege of Shadowdale is only a 5 hour adventure (according to the Vault page), so it might only get me to level 2 or 3? Then I'd grab another module with a starting level in the 3 range and keep doing that until I reach Level 8 for Darkness Over Daggerford. So this is going to be a fun thing to continue researching going forward. But I'm pretty sure I'm starting with SoS and going from there.

The idea is just to tell one huge story set within the Forgotten Realms. I enjoy the idea of going through multiple modules with the same character(s) so this should be the ultimate version of that.

Oh bummer, it looks like my module archive has been corrupted. Missing files throughout. Gotta love shitty IT tech.

I can see a few FR modules though I recommend:
- CC1 - Gates of Myth Drannor by Abaddon
- CC2 - Sorrow of Faerun by Abaddon
- Eye of the Beholder remake by R Francis

Oh bummer, it looks like my module archive has been corrupted. Missing files throughout. Gotta love shitty IT tech.

Cool, thanks! Will be checking those out soon.

Sorrow of Faerun looks great! Seems to be a level 10-15 module. Hmm. Maybe I can start it at 10 after Daggerford, or wherever Daggerford leaves me level-wise when it's finished.

Gates of Myth Drannor, also looks great, and is a level 5 module. Could probably get something for level 2/3 - 5 before playing it and after playing Siege of Shadowdale.

Hmm. Thing is, that's a lot of Drow-area related content, right? I'm not a Forgotten Realms buff (yet :p) but Myth Drannor and Shadowdale are both in the relatively same areas of the Toril, right? Might have to switch it up or at least consider doing so.

WOW, Eye of the Beholder looks epic! 30+ hours, crazy. I'd love to do that, but I was also thinking of playing the original EofB on GOG soon (err, probably not soon, but it's in the plans.) I'd like to take another party through the original 3 games as well. So I might skip that one in NWN, for now at least.

I'd also like to explore other areas of Toril that I heard about in BG lore. Heck, taking the Hero of Baldur's Gate through relatively familiar areas my viewers heard about in my BG Saga series would be even better, tying it in more to that series' narrative.

Thanks again bro! Lots to consider.

Edit - Here's a link for anyone thinking of doing their own Hero's Path through their setting of choice. It's a list of modules that take place in each Prime Material Plane: https://neverwintervault.org/article/reference/modules-listed-prime-material-plane-nwn1

Here's an interesting question. Which module would you guys recommend to play directly after BG2, keeping The Hero of Baldur's Gate in tact (though he'd be level 1 for "reasons" :p)? *Note - please no spoilers for BG2, I actually haven't finished the game yet (doing so now!)

You'll find that the dales area is the most fully developed area of the FR, so of course a lot more modules there... I think the drow are everywhere, but I may be mistaken.

You'll find that the dales area is the most fully developed area of the FR, so of course a lot more modules there… I think the drow are everywhere, but I may be mistaken.

I'm not sure on the Drow but I misspoke anyway, I meant it all revolved around that area of Myth Drannor in The Dalelands. It's all good, though. With that link I sent you can find other areas as well. I have a few selections so far from Amn, Cormyr and even Anauroch. Good stuff. :)

Nice link!

BTW, for epic levels if you go that far this series is fantastic. The dungeons are gigantic.

Sands of Fate - Shadows Over Heliopolis
Sands of Fate 2 - Gem Tower
Sands of Fate 3 - Pyramid of the Ancients

Its not Forgotten Realms @Fluent; but you have got to try my mod

The Girl in Ill Humour

Requires no haks. I can help you out and I can guarantee you'll have a good time.

It was reviewed by one of the old NWN Reviewers Team where it got a good rating.

Lulz, sooo much content. Just remember they ain't all perfect so YMMV.

I could spend ages recommending stuff :D As you've mentioned liking IWD check out Trials of the Luremaster and Heart of Winter if you feel like visiting the area. (Edit - the ones by Glenn Pudney)

Nice link!

BTW, for epic levels if you go that far this series is fantastic. The dungeons are gigantic.

Sands of Fate - Shadows Over Heliopolis
Sands of Fate 2 - Gem Tower
Sands of Fate 3 - Pyramid of the Ancients

I'd love to get to epic levels. Never even got close to that in D&D. Highest level D&D I've even played has been completing BG:EE twice and only getting 50 hours into BG2. Which, I actually didn't get all that far in that 50 hours (game has lots of content, man.)

Added these to my list. Can you gain 5 levels playing each one? The suggested starting levels are 5 levels apart in each one.

Its not Forgotten Realms @Fluent; but you have got to try my mod

The Girl in Ill Humour

Requires no haks. I can help you out and I can guarantee you'll have a good time.

It was reviewed by one of the old NWN Reviewers Team where it got a good rating.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind for when I'm up for something that isn't Forgotten Realms.

Lulz, sooo much content. Just remember they ain't all perfect so YMMV.

I could spend ages recommending stuff :D As you've mentioned liking IWD check out Trials of the Luremaster and Heart of Winter if you feel like visiting the area. (Edit - the ones by Glenn Pudney)

Nice! I haven't finished IWD's expansions yet. Would be great to go through them now as they seemed interesting.

I guess the original IWD isn't ported to NWN, then? That would be dope!

After finishing all three your character is maxed on epic levels I believe. So about 3 each is about right.

I retired him at least… )

EDIT:

Ooops! This was meant for after HotU. So starting level is 25.
"automatic or manual level-up at start to 25th level also available"

If you haven't played HotU, you should include it in your path. Most agree it's the best Bioware NWN module and it's good. :)

Here's another good listing of stuff too. I recall Werelynx from back in the day seemed to have played through a huge number of modules.

Campaigns and Module Series List

Edit - just discovered that Rolo got all the fan fiction off the old vault too, what a legend.

RoloVault Fanfiction Index

Ok one last one… this is an archive from the character builders guild. If you're not completely up with D&D 3.x character building this has dozens and dozens of them to try out. My personal favourite is a dual wielding melee mage.

Epic Character Builders

:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom