Paradox Interactive - PDXCON 2018

Very much looking forward to the CK2 DLC, Holy Fury. Revamping the Crusade mechanics have been direly needed since release, really. No excuse for waiting this long, for a game centered around those very crusades.

The Stellaris DLC has already been released in the meanwhile, btw.

Well I for one am excited about Imperator: Rome as I always wanted a modern sequel to Rome. I wonder if this is the project an indie developer started making first.

So am I! Glad to see them revisit the classical world. It doesn't sound exactly like Rome 2 though, it sounds as if they revamped the concept a little.
What's this project of an indie dev you're referring to?

I believe it is called, "Crusader Kings: The Board Game", and is being done by Paradox with Free League Publishing. They are currently about seven thousand short of their goal, but considering the project still has thirty one days to go, I'm pretty sure it will succeed.

Yup, will probably back that one. :)

Yes, I know. There are no keys - believe me I've checked. I've got a page long email from GG support trying to explain why I can no longer have what I bought from them. You can't even download the game or DLC anymore, all the download links in your game library are to the Steam client install - which is useless if you have no activation code.

I have 27 CKII DLC I can no longer access. It annoys me.

Hm, I got a Steam key for each and every DLC I owned on GG (I had them all up to that point, so). Those keys automatically appeared in your GG library, but I wasted no time in redeeming them.

To be honest I would not have purchased battletech if i had known at time of the kickstarter it was going to be a paradox game. It isn't that paradox makes good games - they do - but their dlc model drives me crazy. Also over time their games are balanced under the presumption you own all the dlcs. They really need to come up with a more consumer friendly model or more people need to avoid buying games with massive number of dlcs until game of year or whatever is released with all dlcs.

I'm hopeful that Hairbrained Schemes will be the voice of reason here, and not swamp us with costly additional content. An expansion or two would be nice, but ten plus additions would just seem ridiculous to me.

So am I! Glad to see them revisit the classical world. It doesn't sound exactly like Rome 2 though, it sounds as if they revamped the concept a little.What's this project of an indie dev you're referring to?
It's a Rome inspired grand strategy game made with the Unity Engine.

Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/8ipqnq/i_dont_know_what_paradoxs_new_game_is_but_im/
I'm hopeful that Hairbrained Schemes will be the voice of reason here, and not swamp us with costly additional content. An expansion or two would be nice, but ten plus additions would just seem ridiculous to me.
According to the roadmap we will see Mech DLC , and that's not as good sign in my book, but it was mentioned we might see a couple of full sized expansions.

Last edited:
To be honest I would not have purchased battletech if i had known at time of the kickstarter it was going to be a paradox game. It isn't that paradox makes good games - they do - but their dlc model drives me crazy. Also over time their games are balanced under the presumption you own all the dlcs. They really need to come up with a more consumer friendly model or more people need to avoid buying games with massive number of dlcs until game of year or whatever is released with all dlcs.
People keep confusing Paradox Interactive (the publisher) with Paradox Development Studio (the developer). Battletech is published by Paradox, whatever DLCs there will be depend on what Harebrained Schemes wants to do.

Having said that, for strategy games I like their DLC approach. The games are never 'finished' (well, until the sequel comes out), and every DLC comes with a free patch so that even if you never ever buy a DLC, the game you purchased, which by the way is already fun for hundreds of hours, gets better and better. The EU4 vanilla game you play today is much better than the one I got 5 years ago when I first got it and played it for like 200 hours before even the first DLC. And every new DLC makes me want to play again. I love that system.

There are two issues:
First when you sign a publishing deal in some cases it stipulates dlc. I suspect this is the case with batteltech and tranny.

Second in many cases the game evolves with the assumption you have the dlc and if you do not purchase the dlc things don't quite work out as expected esp with regards to balance.

People keep confusing Paradox Interactive (the publisher) with Paradox Development Studio (the developer). Battletech is published by Paradox, whatever DLCs there will be depend on what Harebrained Schemes wants to do.

Having said that, for strategy games I like their DLC approach. The games are never 'finished' (well, until the sequel comes out), and every DLC comes with a free patch so that even if you never ever buy a DLC, the game you purchased, which by the way is already fun for hundreds of hours, gets better and better. The EU4 vanilla game you play today is much better than the one I got 5 years ago when I first got it and played it for like 200 hours before even the first DLC. And every new DLC makes me want to play again. I love that system.

There are two issues:
First when you sign a publishing deal in some cases it stipulates dlc. I suspect this is the case with batteltech and tranny.

Second in many cases the game evolves with the assumption you have the dlc and if you do not purchase the dlc things don't quite work out as expected esp with regards to balance.

Well in the case of Battletech the DLCs were already planned in the kickstarter. If there are any more, like I said I welcome them if they have new campaigns. As for Paradox own developed games it doesn't really apply, if you don't have a DLC neither you nor the AI uses what's in there, and if you're playing multiplayer, then you get the DLC for that game from the host even if you don't have it.

That point was relevant around initial releases.

Playing CK2 with no DLCs betrays the product is made to accomodate DLCs. CK2 is full of ghost structures.

Like driving a car that was stripped of features to make it more affordable. After a while, the removal of features shows.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Q&A with Triumph Studios at PDXCON

Imperator: Rome - Preview with Game Director Johan Andersson

Back
Top Bottom