Suggestions please

pheidi

Traveler
I am looking for some suggestions for a good turned based RPG.

or, suboptimally, a good pause-based RPG.

I have played games such as Divinity II, Dragon ages, etc ... . I generally play on Steam and feel like I must be missing a great gem outside of steam. Please, please, give me your suggestions on great games released within the last 4 years or so. Thank you.

PH

Have you tried the likes of Baldur's Gate, that Dragon Age, Div 2 and so on are based on? Otherwise, the enhanced edition of BG1 and 2 would be the place to start.

Dragon Age Origins sounds like something you might enjoy. Avoid the ones that follow like the plague, though!

There are lots of gold box gems on good old games, and they are all good turn based products. Not many are on Steam, but on GoG I believe you can find lots of them, they are often available in bundles of two or more, giving you some real choice and value per purchase.

Turnbaseed, I bet you didn't try recent very good jrpg ports. Grab Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel. Buy the first game of each, if you like it, buy sequels too. And you'll like it.
Additionally, Valkyria Chronicles is a musthave, it's usually on some sale somewhere so check Cheapshark site.

On pausebased part, get Drakensang TDE and Drakensang TRoT. As soon as possible.
A few copies of DRMfree pack (DVD) are still available on Amazon and are dirt cheap:
https://www.amazon.com/Drakensang-Complete-River-Phileassons-Secret-PC/dp/B005OGYVKU
It's not from "past 4 years", but trust me, it still looks and plays better than plenty of past 4 years products.

Some great suggestions above.
If you're looking for something "off the beaten track" then Knights of the Chalice is a turn based gem.
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/

Did Baldurs Gate through Throne of Baul when it came out decades ago. have not looked at wizardy since the first one came out in the 70s. ill look up Wiz 8. Did the Dragon ages through origins, and the ones that followed it lost their .. luster? Might and Magic made it past 7? I thought that was its last nail in the coffin. ill give ten a try.

I downloaded Ember and am going to give this a good test drive then come back to these. thanks guys.

PH

Ember is pretty decent, I enjoyed that one. Not sure if I'll ever replay it, but it was certainly good enough for one grand play through.

I'll also second the Knights of the Chalice recommendation, if you even remotely enjoy turn based games, that one will deliver.

dragon age origin is a lot of things but turn base it is not.

Dragon Age Origins sounds like something you might enjoy. Avoid the ones that follow like the plague, though!

There are lots of gold box gems on good old games, and they are all good turn based products. Not many are on Steam, but on GoG I believe you can find lots of them, they are often available in bundles of two or more, giving you some real choice and value per purchase.

Ember is awful. While Carnifex (and fluent I think) fully endorse this game; as an opposing opinion I think it is absolutely horrible simple minded crap.

Ember is pretty decent, I enjoyed that one. Not sure if I'll ever replay it, but it was certainly good enough for one grand play through.

I'll also second the Knights of the Chalice recommendation, if you even remotely enjoy turn based games, that one will deliver.

Three other games I'd suggest are wasteland 2; divinity original sin and divinty original sin 2. Divinity original sin does not have the best story but the turn base combat is excellent and it is fairly cheap these days (on sale). divinity original sin 2 has significantly better writing and story moments - there is some debate if the combat is better or worse (i'm in the camp that it lacks a bit compared to divinity original sin) and it is more expensive as it is still fairly new. wasteland 2 (imho) has good writing but there are those who do not care for it. It is also relatively cheap as an older game.

Stick with the first Divinity: Original Sin, if you want a decent game that you might both enjoy and replay later. I found the second not worthy of the name, and if there is ever a third, I certainly hope it is much more like the first.

Opinions are marvelous things, but be wary of them as well.

Pretty much everything suggested in this thread so far.

Also look into Pillars of Eternity, Icewind Dale and Temple of Elemental Evil.

If you can stomach older games, try Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, as well as Betrayal at Krondor.

And if scifi intrigues you, also go for the Shadowrun series.

Be aware that neither Pillars of Eternity, Icewind dale, and neverwinter nights (1,2) are NOT turn base (per original request). Temple of elemental evil is turn base but an older game. If you do go with TOE be sure to use the fan made patch as base game has some issues.

Pretty much everything suggested in this thread so far.

Also look into Pillars of Eternity, Icewind Dale and Temple of Elemental Evil.

If you can stomach older games, try Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, as well as Betrayal at Krondor.

And if scifi intrigues you, also go for the Shadowrun series.

Be aware that neither Pillars of Eternity, Icewind dale, and neverwinter nights (1,2) are NOT turn base (per original request).

OP asked for pause-based too.

Might and Magic made it past 7? I thought that was its last nail in the coffin. ill give ten a try.

Might and Magic X is really quite good - lots of exploration, well designed dungeons and fun levelling up/character progression... and loot of course.

No one has recommended Fallout yet? For shame!

Temple of Elemental Evil is an excellent suggestion, and seems to meet all the criteria in the first post. I've played and replayed that game maybe five times, and it is excellent!!!

Back
Top Bottom