Wasteland 3 - Review @ Skill Up

Hopefully, InXile pushes a patch today before the weekend to address some of the more glaring bugs. The only patch thus far has been the initial hotfix a week back for memory issues.

Haha, god that's awkward. I like my hips and legs to be facing the same direction personally.

Huh? Did you even look at the mod? Vanilla Bethesda floatiness.

Just one of several reasons third-person in a Bethesda Gamebryo game is good for barely more than screenshots. Unless heavily modded.

Cyberpunk's first person is another of the failings in direction that game has had. It's sad to think what that game could have been, and how little it will end up being by comparison, even if it still turns into a good game.

@wolfgrimdark; You seem offended, and I'm genuinely sorry if I offended you. Obviously I know there is more to do in those games than fight, since I've played them, but they seem to me to be primarily designed for 1st person. Not only because of the combat, but also because of things like the Pip-boy, which you raise up to your (virtual) face to look at from a first person perspective. Conversation is also conducted entirely in first person, IIRC. That doesn't make your way of playing them "wrong" or anything, of course, but it makes my original statement that the newer Fallout games are, at least primarily, first person games pretty valid, I think.

Hi - No not offended. More of a trigger issue when someone sounds like they are making a more or less factual statement that my own experience indicates isn't factual.

While ad-hoc I know dozens of folks on Nexus, Flickr, Discord, and game forums who would strongly contend with your idea that FO3, FNV, and FO4, or Skyrim, are "really" just first person. Many people play in both.

I very much disagree with your assertion is all.

And Dialogue is only first person in FO4? Are you sure you have played that game? I always watch the entire dialogue in third person, never first person.

@Kordanor; don't think I could possibly disagree more with a post then yours but hey everyone has their own style of playing. I am the complete opposite of what you wrote with the exception of not being able to get into the WItcher games, which I do have in common. But not because of the controls or F/T person style but because the character was too rigidly defined.

EDIT: PS if it wasn't clear I am not offended, mad, or upset by any means. I simply feel differently in a strong manner. I have lots of personal experience, from my own game play and from all my dealings with other gamers and reading posts, that indicate many people enjoy playing Beth games in both first and third person is all so what was posted goes against that - so I am basically pointing out a correction to the statements as they are not true is all.

I also get that immersion tends to be a very personal play style thing and one person's immersion is not another persons. I understand why first person tends to feel more immersive but for myself I also don't find third person breaks any of my immersion. I find first person only to be restrictive and limiting. I like the freedom of both play styles.

I can play FP, I did in Outer Worlds, but I would have enjoyed OW so much more with TP as an option as well.

I did not grow up on FPS games and maybe that is why I am not a big fan of FP only style. I do prefer FP for most ranged combat and when exploring tight areas - like tunnels, dark dungeons or ruins, anyplace where being in third person is just going to be a headache with the camera.

But I love TP for open areas so I can see the world better. I enjoy it more in conversations, general exploring, and melee combat.

Last edited:
Hopefully, InXile pushes a patch today before the weekend to address some of the more glaring bugs. The only patch thus far has been the initial hotfix a week back for memory issues.

I noticed last week's Hotfix, but I'll wait for this patch today in order to finally start playing the game.

I agree with Wolfgrimdark. I play third person whenever possible and played Skyrim almost exclusively in 3rd person.

As for wasteland 3 I’ll pick it up after all the bugs are patched just like I’ll do with HZD.

Wasteland 3 Upcoming Stability & Co-op Fixes - Patch 1.1.0
Greetings Rangers,

First, we want to just reiterate our gratitude to everyone that’s decided to take this trip with us into post-apocalyptic Colorado. We’ve been blown away by the response from players, press, and even when there have been issues encountered, people letting us know how much they’re enjoying themselves.

However, we know that’s not true for all of you, and we’ve been working hard to resolve bugs and issues that are in some cases making the game unplayable.

Before we go any further, we ask that everyone refer to our Known Issues list as it does have some workarounds we’ve seen helping folks over the past week. Disabling auto-saves and temporarily disabling antivirus and/or firewalls have, as we’ve seen, resolved everything from crashes to progress losses to co-op disconnections.

And Dialogue is only first person in FO4? Are you sure you have played that game? I always watch the entire dialogue in third person, never first person.

That's why I wrote IIRC there. I didn't boot it up and check, and if I was remembering incorrectly, that's fine.

I understand how grating it can be for someone to present something as fact that isn't fact (see: other ongoing thread), so I do apologize for that.

Some good fixed in there.

However the issue which is most annoying for me hasnt been fixed yet, ot at least its not listed:

If you have a item which incrases a skill by +1, leveling up that skill costs more as long as the item is worn.

So every time I level up I check if I am wearing any item which could break something which is...annoying.

That's why I wrote IIRC there. I didn't boot it up and check, and if I was remembering incorrectly, that's fine.

I understand how grating it can be for someone to present something as fact that isn't fact (see: other ongoing thread), so I do apologize for that.

Tis all good. The higher my work and life stress gets the more intense and aggressive I seem to get on forums and the last two months have been brutal :p

I often cringe and edit my replies sometimes when I read them later :p

Tis all good. The higher my work and life stress gets the more intense and aggressive I seem to get on forums and the last two months have been brutal :p

I often cringe and edit my replies sometimes when I read them later :p

I'm probably being overly pissy lately too... The start of the semester has been beyond chaotic this year and every day is an adventure, and not the fun kind we talk about here.

Back
Top Bottom