Win7 End Times…

Windows 10 or bust??

• What's the big deal? Windows 10 all the way baby!

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • They'll pry Windows 7 from my cold dead hands..

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • A little of both: I'll boot as necessary

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I think you're overthinking this. Who cares

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
I never had a problem updating windows 10 till today. I just go the issue resolved - it was throwing kbmode exception on boot up; wouldn't roll back or forward. I was on 1903 and it tried to update something i think 1909 and that really screw things up. Anyway it might work now or might not.
-
Yea i had linux update screw up royally but the difference between linux and windows is no freaking registry. I can reinstall linux on the system disk - copy over a few custom config changes to /etc and not have to worry about reinstalling all my gigs of software. On windows screw up that registry or reinstall and your (well i am) stuck with reinstalling gigs of software (mostly steam and gog games). Technically they should run without install but some of them store data in the registry and it is a guessing game what needs what.
-
That's not to say i like linux burps - and i won't go into some of the problems i have had with their video drives other than to say ubuntu 18.04 broke sandybridge hd graphics and the ati driver has its own set of issue.
--
If it helps i have some friends at ms (i'm sure you do too) and they had rather interesting things to say about the current windows 10 development team. Conversely i found a gazillion posts with my issue unfortunately - the ones responded by microsoft frequently had different solutions - most of them not working. A common solution or frequent comment is just reinstall windows which sadly would be a real nightmare

And I never, ever had any problems with Windows update, from Windows 7, through 8 and 8.1, to 10. I actually had Linux break many, many times after an update (mostly graphics drivers but also DEs and once X broke). And I'll be the first to tell you that the way Linux does updates is way better than Windows. It's not as apocalyptic as you and other people having problems make it out to be. There were some pretty stupid bugs due to updates last year, but it was fixed. It always gets fixed.

Not so sure about monopoly. At least not a secure one, they are slowly loosing market shares to Apple (in terms of desktop OS).

Very, very slowly.

Win 10- —————47.65%
Win 7 - —————32.74%
Mac OS X 10.14 - 5.21%
Win 8.1—————-4.09%
Win XP——————2.03%

Sorry but how do you get the free version? That page you linked says: "To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10"

You use your Windows 7 license (or higher). Keep in mind it needs to be the same user version (win7 Pro to win10 Pro, etc).

You can even just enter your window 7 license when doing a fresh install of Windows 10.

Keep in mind that technically you don’t even need a license for Windows 10. You’ll get a little nag logo in the bottom right corner to activate it, and you won’t be able customize your desktop (although there’s a workaround to change your wallpaper) but everything else including updates is fully functional.

Getting a Win7 license is so cheap though, might as well. You can even search various electronics recycle bins and find a tossed Lenovo or HP workstation in there and use the OEM license sticker. Free OS. I’ve even used OEM win7 license stickers from broken laptops (usually found under the battery slot) to do Win10 installs on brand new desktops. Works fine. Microsoft is very lenient so as to have a unified OS.

My parents have Windows 10 on their Laptop. I just can't help them. The UI so much BEEEEEEEEEEP that I just can't find anything at all. Because that I just can't help them when they have a problem.

[ "Beep" is a way for me to write down even the worst swear-words without anyone seeing them. :D ]

What is that anything you can't find? That's not possible.

Whatever you want to get to, type a few starting letters in the search "window" which opens when you click on mag. glass:
pic.jpg

To be honest I can't believe you have a problem with windows UI after accepting mmo UI which is always a mess.

What is that anything you can't find? That's not possible.
Whatever you want to get to, type a few starting letters in the search "window" which opens when you click on mag. glass

This x 1000.

If you want a more traditional File Explorer view (rather than the default Quick Access view), perform a search above for the words "file explorer options", click on the result, and change the Open File Explorer drop-down option to This PC:

Wb1mnhd.png

Also, right-clicking on the start-button gives you a ton of faster shortcuts over Win7:

Wv8JGbY.png

10x is not ment for common users.

Update: Microsoft has terminated support for Windows 7.And Microsoft still offers a way to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7,like the Windows Media Creation Tool,it can be used to download and burn the Windows 10 iso.

You have been assimilated. Resistance was futile. Your life, as it has beeeen, is now over. From this time forward,
you will service
us.

Yeah, those "guys" are these types of people:

Otherwise they wouldn't be on the technical forums…

I have a Windows 7 laptop that I haven't updated in about five years and haven't upgraded ever that I use solely for gaming and I've had zero issues with it for 10 years now.

Apart from going on-line… (or playing later than 2010 high graphics games)

As soon as I connect it to the internet and open Explorer it slows to an almighty crawl and practically stops working.

So I just don't go on-line with it.

And this is the same issue I had with my Windows 7 desktop. It plays games and does everything you can do off-line perfectly, but as soon as it tries to do the internet it struggles. So the desktop now languishes in a cupboard unused until very occasionally needed.

The issue was never being infected by viruses and trojans, the issue was always that each day the graphical requirements and RAM requirements increased to match current capacity. But just using an old laptop for old games and things like Word and Excel shouldn't be any issue at all.

I guess if you have loads of PCs connected on a very public network like in a business environment then there's more of a chance of infection?

Windows Seven still seems to be working fine for me, and I'll just keeping using it until this computer gives up the ghost. Even when that day does roll around, I'll likely try to get Windows Seven on my next computer simply because it works well for me, and I like the way it looks and functions. Windows ten, at least what I saw of it two years ago, graphically looked awful and I heard much about how older games simply don't seem to run well on it.

I can only hope that redundant firewalls, virus protection and common sense continue to serve me well. I do generally yank the plug to the internet whilst gaming, so I'm only online usually briefly.

Because it makes no sense.
Hardware manufacturers stopped caring and no new drivers are being made for win7. Eventually you'll have to buy a new rig and then what. Petition to make all drivers opensource?

The problem with windows 7 (if you connect to the internet) are all the remote explotations that can be triggered without you visiting a website.

Which remote exploits are these? I wasn't aware of any current open ones.

If people persist with using windows 7 I would recommend updating it to as of Jan 2020 and disabling any unneeded services and features (to reduce the attack surface). Then get a decent firewall (a good free one is https://www.pfsense.org/).

Back
Top Bottom