Larian Studios - Website Tease

It's a smart move, tying it in the with release of Avernus. My primary concern now is how we'll actually have to purchase the thing to play it.

I actually like this. Might even coerce me to pick up Descent Into Avernus even though I don't play the tabletop. I was a bit worried that it would tell the same story, but BG3 being a follow up of sorts is the best thing IMO.

I don't know much about Descent Into Avernus yet, but some of the things I've read worry me. It's a big departure style-wise from old-school D&D to say the least. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing in itself, but the new style doesn't appeal to me at all. Demons driving hotrods, etc.

https://www.inverse.com/article/559...ase-date-plot-setting-characters-and-vehicles

I don't know much about Descent Into Avernus yet, but some of the things I've read worry me. It's a big departure style-wise from old-school D&D to say the least. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing in itself, but the new style doesn't appeal to me at all. Demons driving hotrods, etc.

https://www.inverse.com/article/559...ase-date-plot-setting-characters-and-vehicles

Well, if wacky stuff like that stays in Avernus, I'm not too concerned about that. I'm not very knowledgable about the Lower Planes, but just by their nature, anything goes.

My thoughts exactly! :evil:

Btw, does any D&D lore buff know how a mindflayer can burst or transform out of a human?

I remember mind flayers but am not an expert on the lore. Here is good info page I found about them. Apparently they implant tadpoles in other beings and then they can turn into various monsters that the mind flayer can use as slaves or guards or other things.

Mind flayers also have all sorts of interesting monsters and variations that are considered freaks or twisted forms.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Mind_flayer

Btw, does any D&D lore buff know how a mindflayer can burst or transform out of a human?

Iirc, Mind flayers reproduce by laying eggs that hatch into larva (not sure if larva is the right word, but you get the idea). To reach maturity, the larva has to be implanted in a host body which it takes over and transforms into a Mind flayer.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen as quickly as it did in that trailer, but it made for some nice drama. ;)

So now that we know the relative timeline, what are the chances we'll see some old characters and/or how old would they be?

"It is Larian Studios’ biggest production ever and will be playable together with friends or as a single-player adventure."

That says something, considering OS 1/2 were pretty huge games. Also an online multi-player component, but not enough info to get upset lol

Also feel a bit sad for Obsidian. I wonder how they're taking this, considering how much effort they must have put into their version years ago… They almost touched the sun.

So now that we know the relative timeline, what are the chances we'll see some old characters and/or how old would they be?

Protagonist (Abdel Adrian) - Doubtful - Supposedly died in Murder in Baldur's Gate adventure module, that serves as a starting point for BG3 storywise. Longevity thanks to his divine heritage. Confirmed he is not the protagonist this time.
Minsc - Very high - Featured already in several 5e products. Petrified for 100 years at least, so maybe in his 30s or 40s.
Coran - High - Appeared in Murder in Baldur's Gate. Age 200+ I'd guess. As he is an elf, it doesn't matter much.
Jaheira - High - She'd be pretty old by half-elven standards, but she appears in an expansion for some DnD card game along with Minsc.
Xan - If they pick another elf from the original cast, this one is my guess.
??? - There are plenty of means of prolonging life in the Realms, particularly for mages, so theoretically anyone who can afford it can appear looking the same age or older.

Protagonist (Abdel Adrian) - Doubtful - Supposedly died in Murder in Baldur's Gate adventure module, that serves as a starting point for BG3 storywise. Longevity thanks to his divine heritage. Confirmed he is not the protagonist this time.

Have they confirmed that you don't import any save states from previous games? Even if only the name and ultimate fate of your bhaalspawn (for example whether you ascended to godhood or not)?

Coran was an elf? I thought I recall him being human or half-elf.

I'd rather not see any of the old characters, but I'm sure Larian will shoehorn some in for fan service.

I find it kinda strange that there was no word from Swen on how the game will play. He only said we will be "surprised." Since it also doesn't use the D:OS engine, will it be Skyrim-3D?

At least Realms Beyond looks like winner of what we know!

Have they confirmed that you don't import any save states from previous games? Even if only the name and ultimate fate of your bhaalspawn (for example whether you ascended to godhood or not)?

To my knowledge, no confirmation about that.

Coran was an elf? I thought I recall him being human or half-elf.
Yep, totally an elf. He kinda doesn't look the part though.:)

Yep, totally an elf. He kinda doesn't look the part though.:)

I remember now. His portrait was terrible for an elf.

coran.gif

Hopefully they will release a book maybe that describes the story of Descent into Avernus for those of us who don't play tabletop D&D.

I like what I read so far, and its impressive they have 300 people working on this game! That must be very expensive. And they said they don't even need to do crowd funding either? Wow, this game will probably be 20 million or more, I'm guessing.

Baldur's gate 3 doesn't deserve any less! Good thing there is no kickstarter. Project seems to be well funded and in good steady hands.

Oh FFS. That's the sort of nonsense that would really spoil it for me. I really hope we don't see any of that horrible mangling of the setting.

Eh? I didn't like it but it has great reviews from critics and fans on metacritic (93 and 8.8 respectively) and "very positive" user reviews on Steam. How did you conclude it had a tepid response? The evidence suggests otherwise, no? Or do you have conflicting information from elsewhere?

Probably using other data and sources.

It's been a while it was stated that most of these reviews are simple reviews of taste, they tell about the tastes of their authors and not much about the product itself.

It is all about spurring sales, not playing video games.

Back
Top Bottom