D:OS Translation Trickiness

Divinity: Original Sin

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
Something that shocks me a bit about this game and Divinity 2... the rhyming. "Wherever thou runneth, be it near or afar, I will find thee still, I Bellegar!" Nicely done... but then that gets translated to German, Russian, French, and so on!? In fact, the developers are in Belgium to start with!

Do they have to re-invent the rhymes and alliteration for every translation they do??

I have no idea, because I didn't meet him yet.

But I guess so, because rhymes are based on words, and they hardly ever are the same words in any language ...

Talking statues Alrik. Use four elements offensive spells (scrolls) on them.
Won't say/spoil more. :)

Oh, you use it ON them! I kept trying to drop stuff in front of them. Time to give some statues what for!

The puns wouldn't convert, either, much of the time. They could just take those where they can get them, I suppose, but Bellegar always speaks in rhyme. He was a pretty major character in Divinity 2's expansion, too. That means he can't just spout off any old rhyming text - he's got to say essentially the same thing in all languages AND still keep the rhyme! That's pretty impressive!

Me, too !

He could be seen in one of the very first videos Larian made about that game, which was … a year ago or so ?

Bellegar from Divinity II is also in D:OS?
Not only he's in, you'll meet him more than once.

A hint from my journal:

jzujr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom