Days Gone - First Impressions @ MG

I didn't get that impression at all, and I really don't see how anyone would unless they weren't paying much attention to the story segments and flashbacks.

Well, I did get that impression - and yes, I was paying attention just fine. And clearly lots of other people who played the game had similar impressions... there are lots of articles and forum debate about how divisive a protagonist he was... some people liked him and some did not.

Well, I did get that impression - and yes, I was paying attention just fine. And clearly lots of other people who played the game had similar impressions… there are lots of articles and forum debate about how divisive a protagonist he was… some people liked him and some did not.

Odd, you just said it was a little fuzzy in your previous post.

I didn't say everyone liked him, but your description doesn't match the in-game character much at all. Feel free to share some links to these articles you claim give similar impressions.

I think burnout emotionally damaged military type is a better description. The wiki does a good job of breaking down his background - all of which comes out as you play the game.

Yeah, I can agree with emotionally damaged military type. Even if that's not the whole picture.

Odd, you just said it was a little fuzzy in your previous post.

I'm not certain what's odd about that? My memory of the details being fuzzy has nothing to do with me knowing I paid attention while playing the game because I pay attention in every game I play. I'm a professional game designer... I pay close attention to all aspects of every game I play - narrative, mechanics, level design ui/ux, etc. And I spend a fair bit of time debating the merits of these things at the studio I work at... it's how I operate, so yeah, I know I paid attention and I see nothing odd or contradictory in my comments.

I didn't say everyone liked him, but your description doesn't match the in-game character much at all. Feel free to share some links to these articles you claim give similar impressions.

If you google it, you'll find numerous articles... but a couple interesting tidbits since you seem to want me to do some fact finding for you...

Jeff Ross, who was the lead director on this said that in designing Deacon, "It wasn’t about trying to make him likeable.".

And Emmanuel Roth, who led animation on it (I think), said "...Deacon — as you will see in flashbacks that we will present — was a biker outlaw doing some not very nice stuff."

Anyway, regardless of these, I don't think my description is inaccurate because it is subjective - it's my opinion. I don't have any issue with you liking him and thinking he's cool... but you seem to have an issue with my opinion, as if it were "wrong" when wrong really isn't part of this imo. My point is I didn't like him and thought he was kinda a dick at points (and had some oddities in his character arc - but that's another thread) - and clearly some people feel the same and some don't.

If you google it, you'll find numerous articles… but a couple interesting tidbits since you seem to want me to do some fact finding for you…

Jeff Ross, who was the lead director on this said that in designing Deacon, "It wasn’t about trying to make him likeable.".

And Emmanuel Roth, who led animation on it (I think), said "…Deacon — as you will see in flashbacks that we will present — was a biker outlaw doing some not very nice stuff."

Cool, but that doesn't really support the way you described him. Again, I didn't say he was likeable, but I didn't find him grating and hateful as you claim.

Anyway, regardless of these, I don't think my description is inaccurate because it is subjective - it's my opinion. I don't have any issue with you liking him and thinking he's cool… but you seem to have an issue with my opinion, as if it were "wrong" when wrong really isn't part of this imo. My point is I didn't like him and thought he was kinda a dick at points (and had some oddities in his character arc - but that's another thread) - and clearly some people feel the same and some don't.

I don't have an issue with your opinion. I just don't find your description of the character to be very accurate, that's all. I never said anything about him being likeable or "cool", but don't let that stop you from putting words in my mouth.

Honestly, if I knew it was going to trigger you like this, I wouldn't have said anything.

One of the "rules" of the genre (Post apoc Zombies) is that traditional heroes don't last very long. You have to be willing to do what needs to be done to survive - exactly what Deacon does. Like Rick in TWD.

If you don't like Bikers then it is understandable you might not like Deacon. I also agree with JDR13 though because I didn't see any hint of him being a loser - as you described him. He is a war veteran who saw too much death and got pulled into a club through friendship. War changes people. He never sets out to do evil things and often goes out of his way to help people.

"Action story game with no progression" doesn't describe Days Gone. There is steady progression through most of the game as you acquire more skills and better weapons. There are even bike upgrades and some hideouts. ;)

Not sure what you mean by less combat zombies. You're not constantly fighting the infected.

So we bought it!

I quite liked the main character from what I could see on youtube, but he reminds me more of Wolverine, so I imagine him as werewolf - I would like a game about werewolves more than with zombies :) And it can be postapocalyptic.

I quite liked the main character from what I could see on youtube, but he reminds me more of Wolverine, so I imagine him as werewolf - I would like a game about werewolves more than with zombies :) And it can be postapocalyptic.

You kind of lost me when you started talking about Wolverine and werewolves, but I hope you enjoy the game as much as I did. :)

Thought I'd dig up an old thread to apologize, sort of. I picked it up on the recent Steam sale and am really impressed with the game.

I still don't like that you're forced to play a biker dude, but it's a very well-acted role. Actually all of the acting in the game is pretty well done.

Back
Top Bottom