Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Me too - to her review and the game both :)

I have had alpha access but avoided it. But with winter break coming and COVID cases on the rise I relented as I want something fun to do stuck inside. So downloaded the alpha and will probably dig into it a bit over thanksgiving break since I am not going anywhere or having guests. A good time to play :)

Want to try and avoid burn out though. Will see how my self control goes lol.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker captures the charm of the Baldur's Gate games in ways that many of the "spiritual successors" failed to. Why is this so? I honestly can't say.
I think the main reason is simple: It's a D20 ruleset.

Yes, I've written it :)

You may consider proposing your review to @felipepepe; for his update of The CRPG Book. If that's still on, the list of games is here (link found on this page). From that list, that particular review is not assigned yet.. but I don't see many updates of this document, so I'm not sure ;)

You may consider proposing your review to @felipepepe; for his update of The CRPG Book. If that's still on, the list of games is here (link found on this page). From that list, that particular review is not assigned yet.. but I don't see many updates of this document, so I'm not sure ;)

Hey, I was considering too but I think mine will be too long for his book and I will have to update my review to include changes implemented with enhanced plus edition.

Which means you could play again :)

I would but I'm so wrapped up with Wrath of the Righteous alpha playthroughs!!! :)

I just finished alpha 2 for the first time and going to replay chapter 3 again (I played chap1 and 2 dozen times before alpha 2 so trying to avoid burning myself out).

Another strategy would be targeting Wrath of the Righteous, which should be in the 2020-2024 book update. That leaves you 4 years to do it ;)

I can ask felipepepe if he'd be interested in using my Kingmaker review first, I guess. I'm just happy with the amount of detail I've put in Kingmaker Watch review and unsure how much I can cut it down without losing too much detail for felipepepe's book.

I want to do the same for Wrath of the Righteous - as in, I would like to write another detailed review without being restricted to two pages (or whatever word count felipepepe wants).

The book already includes my Baldur's Gate 2 review, so I'm already happy :)

I would but I'm so wrapped up with Wrath of the Righteous alpha playthroughs!!! :)

I just finished alpha 2 for the first time and going to replay chapter 3 again (I played chap1 and 2 dozen times before alpha 2 so trying to avoid burning myself out).

Happy you're having so much fun with these games. I couldn't finish PKM in the end due to its length and that stupid house of time. I tend to get tired of games after about 100 hours or so unless they have an amazing ending and I found PKM going to wrong way with that map.

Really enjoyed it a lot though. And that's saying a lot from me because I generally dislike RTwP. I didn't try with TB mod, but I might for the Wrath of the Righteous.

Happy you're having so much fun with these games. I couldn't finish PKM in the end due to its length and that stupid house of time. I tend to get tired of games after about 100 hours or so unless they have an amazing ending and I found PKM going to wrong way with that map.

Really enjoyed it a lot though. And that's saying a lot from me because I generally dislike RTwP. I didn't try with TB mod, but I might for the Wrath of the Righteous.

You will be glad to know WotR will be shorter than Kingmaker but with lots of replayability :)

It's a shame House at the Edge of Time was so poorly done - they've made some changes with the recent patch so its a bit less tedious now though!

IMO, the story in Kingmaker is great but you don't get to see the amazing twists until you hit the ending slides :/

My first attempt to play Kingmaker was very frustrating, to say the least. During the first three hours, I've encountered many problems with the combat system. For instance, Linzy (if I remember correctly?) while fighting with a bow missed four times in a row, despite shooting almost at point-blank! As this repeated a couple of times during the first part of the game supposed to be the tutorial part, in the starting location, I had no other option than to leave a “not recommended” comment.
I was so frustrated I left the game aside for a couple of months.
Since then, I gave it another try and, magically, everything went just fine! I've played approx. 13 hours now and find it really enjoyable. However, I won't correct my previous comment as I bet that kind of issue/bug will surely occur again since I don't think the game received, nor will, any patch recently.

My first attempt to play Kingmaker was very frustrating, to say the least. During the first three hours, I've encountered many problems with the combat system. For instance, Linzy (if I remember correctly?) while fighting with a bow missed four times in a row, despite shooting almost at point-blank! As this repeated a couple of times during the first part of the game supposed to be the tutorial part, in the starting location, I had no other option than to leave a “not recommended” comment.
I was so frustrated I left the game aside for a couple of months.
Since then, I gave it another try and, magically, everything went just fine! I've played approx. 13 hours now and find it really enjoyable. However, I won't correct my previous comment as I bet that kind of issue/bug will surely occur again since I don't think the game received, nor will, any patch recently.
Being closer to the target doesn't boost your chance to hit with a bow in Pathfinder, so being point-blank is basically irrelevant. (Not to mention, if you're literally point-blank with an enemy, firing a bow can provoke an attack of opportunity - although there is a feat to remove that)

Leaving a bad review because you got unlucky in dice-based combat is actually pretty ridiculous.

Being closer to the target doesn't boost your chance to hit with a bow in Pathfinder, so being point-blank is basically irrelevant. (Not to mention, if you're literally point-blank with an enemy, firing a bow can provoke an attack of opportunity - although there is a feat to remove that)
Yep. You need the feat "Point Blank Master" to avoid the AoO. It is sometimes even worse than that as well! If you are in point blank range there is also a pretty good chance you are getting attacked or the enemy is getting attacked which means the attacker gets a -4 attack malus unless you have the "Precise Shot" feat.

If you don't have both "Point Blank Shot", "Point Blank Master" and "Precise Shot" your character should be standing as far away as possible i.e. max range for said range weapon.

I'm enjoying it as well. There's definitely a learning curve, even for vet fantasy gamers.

The game itself is a real juggling act, between your conventional dungeon romping and managing your kingdom. And managing the kingdom is itself a juggling act. A juggling act within a juggling act. I personally like it, but I can see why it would turn others off.

At the same time, I am at the moment very slowly slogging my way through Varnhold's Lot and am not enjoying it at all. The only reason I'm chipping away it one tiny flake at a time is to set up a savegame from which I can always import certain items into the main campaign. Not everything can be a joy ride I guess.

I initially had huge problems with this game, I wound up taking like an eight month break to let all the patches/updates land, then came back and had like a solid two months' worth of joy with the product. I have the second game as well, right now I'm waiting on all the content to land and then I'll be exploring that one as well.

Back
Top Bottom