Final Fantasy XIV

lostforever

SasqWatch
Its a MMO but the last expansion for is getting some rave reviews from users and press alike. People are claiming in fact the story is so good that it can complete with even the best single player final fantasy games. Some final fantasy fans are claims it might even be the best final fantasy game!

Anyone here plays it?

I have played the original final fantasy XIV for while and got to level 50. I found the story to be good and better than many MMO stories. However, I stopped and never played any of the 3 expansions due to friends moving to other MMOs.

What I am reading is that the real story actually kicks in from the first expansion and the original was really a setup and in fact they all find the original to be boring.

I wouldn't mind giving FFXIV a try. It looks beautiful. But I just can't justify a subscription price. Right now I probably have a backlog of 20 games that I've gotten for free. Literally 20 games, mostly from the Epic Store, that I haven't played yet. I might pay for a game that I really wanted to try, but there's no way I would pay for a subscription.

Are there any plans to make a single-player version of FFXIV? I think I heard that somewhere, or maybe if not FFXIV, then another famous MMO. Honestly, I don't like online games, but if I could play a game with all the same maps and character classes, but with computer-controlled allies, I would love that.

And you played the original FFXIV? Like, as in, the original original? I heard that it was awful. One of the worst games ever. I thought that was why they nuked it and made a Realm Reborn.

Its a MMO but the last expansion for is getting some rave reviews from users and press alike.
Do not trust any of it.
It's mmo. And by now you should know what mmo means.

Don't let a digital product control your life.

Note that some reviewers and gaming media is recently avoiding to say mmo, but instead writes online action, online RPG or whatever online. It's still mmo and it's still trying to manipulate your free time. Avoid it.

I wouldn't mind giving FFXIV a try. It looks beautiful. But I just can't justify a subscription price. Right now I probably have a backlog of 20 games that I've gotten for free. Literally 20 games, mostly from the Epic Store, that I haven't played yet. I might pay for a game that I really wanted to try, but there's no way I would pay for a subscription.

Are there any plans to make a single-player version of FFXIV? I think I heard that somewhere, or maybe if not FFXIV, then another famous MMO. Honestly, I don't like online games, but if I could play a game with all the same maps and character classes, but with computer-controlled allies, I would love that.

And you played the original FFXIV? Like, as in, the original original? I heard that it was awful. One of the worst games ever. I thought that was why they nuked it and made a Realm Reborn.

Like you I have many games in my steam library that I could play but right now I am not in the mood to play them! But for some reason I am sort of interested in FF XIV right now, maybe due to the hype going on. The subscription price does not really bother me as I think £8 a month is really cheap for amount of hours you can get out of it. I mean I pay like £15 for 2 hour movie!

I don't know any plans to make it single player and I based on what I know, I doubt it will work well as single player game anyway. For example, the maps and monsters are designed and placed with many people on map and killing them etc.

Actually I didn't play the original original. I started with Realm Reborn and I had loads of fun playing it mainly because the world felt different and fantastical compared to other westerns MMO at that time like Everquest 2 and WoW.

I really enjoy the Final Fantasy single player games, but I've never tried any of the online versions. I have two friends that like this game, as of now though I think my online games are behind me, save for Pantheon.

I played FFXIV at the time of the Heavensward expansion, and I stopped not because I wasn't enjoying it but because it was taking too much of my time. The crafting system in particular is the best I've found in an MMO.

Honestly, though, the story at the early levels is not amazing, so if you start the game brand new on the basis of the good reviews for the expansion you may be a bit put off, especially if JRPG clichés and anime-style characters are not your thing. This is a game that lets you play as a catgirl or catboy. There are a lot of them.

But there's also awesome-looking ginger elfs rocking puffy-sleeved shirts, such as this one!

6902B26F312A25BB089223835BF5D1FC9BAA66CE

I finally caved under the hype and re-subbed to Final Fantasy XIV! I am few quest away from starting Heavensward expansion. People say its the best, so if I don't like it, then I will never ever try the game ever!

Despite some of my misgivings about the main game, something about Final Fantasy XIV got my imagination going which most MMO can't do these days. The whole game world and lore felt new and "fantasist".

So I hope Heavensward delivers :)

I finally caved under the hype and re-subbed to Final Fantasy XIV! I am few quest away from starting Heavensward expansion. People say its the best, so if I don't like it, then I will never ever try the game ever!

Despite some of my misgivings about the main game, something about Final Fantasy XIV got my imagination going which most MMO can't do these days. The whole game world and lore felt new and "fantasist".

So I hope Heavensward delivers :)
Heavensward is amazing but after it story wise all the expansions are great. My favourite is Shadowbringer.

New expansion relasing next summer.
-Graphic update of the game
-4 new jobs
-Total new continent
-More lifestyle content
-Dungeons,Trials and Raid.
And so on so forth.

I never did try the online version of FF, yet my son and his friends love it. One of these days I might dip a toe in.
Ff14 is fantastic tho i suggest you to play it like if you would play a jrpg. If you are going to skip dialogues a you wont have a good experience considering the game has a great writing. The base game story is long and bad paced because is also the preparation for Heavensward the first expansion.
From Havensward on you will have a huge production value.

Oh, I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, though only for games one through twelve. The online stuff and action games I tend to take a huge pass on. FF games one through eight I've played numerous times and will continue to do so!

I never saw the appeal, but I have to give credit where it's due. Next month will be the 10 year anniversary since the game launched, and it's still going strong. I wouldn't have believed it would last this long.

I never saw the appeal, but I have to give credit where it's due. Next month will be the 10 year anniversary since the game launched, and it's still going strong. I wouldn't have believed it would last this long.
Look i joined the game with low expectation and i been in pretty much every mmo in the market. But this game surprised me and won over me. Now is one of my favourite :)
Also very nice community.

Last edited:
Heck, even the original Everquest is still alive and kicking. Once these games build an audience, they tend to retain a lot of them. And if you did the beta for the original EQ, that means you played it over twenty-five years ago.

Back
Top Bottom