Witcher Will I like The Witcher?

The Witcher
Chapt4 did exactly the opposite for me - I thought it was great to get out of the usual main questing for a little while and solve for example the mystery of the lake, the noonwraith who didnt know she was dead, etc. Look at that environment, those sweeping fields, all that. I was loving it. The crypts in that area were pretty scary and fun, there was some good questline activity w/ Dandelion, then battling Dagon and being beknighted by the Lady of the Lake... no way dude, I was loving every minute.

Same here. Chapter IV was easily my favorite in the game. Beautiful interlude with some of the best writing, plotting, resolution, and lore in the whole game, and for once sort of cooling your heels while doing sidequests actually made sense in terms of the main story. The usual trope of urgently having to Save the World from Certain Doom Right Now, but then going off to help random strangers do completely unrelated things always mildly irritated me.

I really liked Chapter 4 as well. The only thing that bothered me a bit was how they integrated other works of fiction into it. As much as I thought having Dagon there was cool, part of me wondered why they needed to take lore from somewhere else when The Witcher universe obviously has so much of it's own. Same thing goes for the Lady of the Lake.

I especially enjoyed the metafiction in Ch IV. The spoof of the Da Vinci Code, that totally tongue-in-cheek encounter with the Lady of the Lake, the upside-down Lovecraftian thing, the beautiful Slavic folktale of the two sisters and the wedding... It was just emotionally compelling enough to sweep me along, and just light enough to be fun.

(By the way, The Witcher was chock-full of that sort of thing, and not just Ch IV -- the hard-boiled detective story spoof in Ch II, the drugged-out hippie druids, the other Lovecraftian storyline in the swamp, that whole Great White Hope boxing thing, and so on.)

(By the way, The Witcher was chock-full of that sort of thing, and not just Ch IV — the hard-boiled detective story spoof in Ch II, the drugged-out hippie druids, the other Lovecraftian storyline in the swamp, that whole Great White Hope boxing thing, and so on.)

Oh I caught most of those things, it was just using Dagon and LotL that surprised me a bit, being that they're unique individuals rather than themes.

Yeah, you're right. When looked at in that way, they are a bit jarring. I didn't experience it that way at the time, though -- I just thought they were laugh-out-loud funny.

Yes… and no. You *can* actually play and win by simple timed clicking, especially at Normal or Easy difficulty. That gets tedious very fast, especially since some fights will take very long as you gradually whittle down the enemies while (successfully) avoiding damage. (GothicGothicness hated the combat for this reason.)

But you don't *have to.* If you explore the different combat styles, Signs, potions, oils, and bombs, combat becomes way more varied and way more effective, but also riskier. And a lot more fun. The key to the fun was (for me anyway) when I realized that most enemies have a weakness which leaves them momentarily incapacitated, at which point you can pull a finishing move to insta-kill them. To exploit the weakness, you have to know what you're facing, and how to cause it, using the right Sign, bomb, oil, or fighting technique for the occasion; there's no magic button that works for everything.

IMO the game is flawed in that it doesn't really push you very hard to do this exploration — if you don't bother reading the bestiaries and figuring out what Pain, Bleeding, Stun, Incineration etc. actually mean and what cause them, you'll just keep mindlessly hacking, and the game lets you get away with it. But them's the breaks.

That's the key to fully enjoy the Witcher, even if the game has much more to offer than only this, it's still a big flaw in its design to allow boring fights. But thanks you can explore and experiment different path that trigger a very fun fight system.

One tip I would add to Prime Junta fights advices is to try use movements much more and at your advantage during your fights, it boost their fun.

I especially enjoyed the metafiction in Ch IV. The spoof of the Da Vinci Code, that totally tongue-in-cheek encounter with the Lady of the Lake, the upside-down Lovecraftian thing, the beautiful Slavic folktale of the two sisters and the wedding… It was just emotionally compelling enough to sweep me along, and just light enough to be fun.

(By the way, The Witcher was chock-full of that sort of thing, and not just Ch IV — the hard-boiled detective story spoof in Ch II, the drugged-out hippie druids, the other Lovecraftian storyline in the swamp, that whole Great White Hope boxing thing, and so on.)

Woo I didn't realized all of this, but it's been clear for me anyway that The Witcher writing is a lot superior to any other RPG ever released... cough cough well those I played. :)

you get to recognize the rythm of the movement and telltale swoosh of his blade when it's time to shift into 2nd gear

Did you read the other posts in this thread?

ya, i did ...

"Yes… and no. You *can* actually play and win by simple timed clicking, especially at Normal or Easy difficulty. That gets tedious very fast, especially since some fights will take very long as you gradually whittle down the enemies while (successfully) avoiding damage. (GothicGothicness hated the combat for this reason.)"

and

"IMO the game is flawed in that it doesn't really push you very hard to do this exploration — if you don't bother reading the bestiaries and figuring out what Pain, Bleeding, Stun, Incineration etc. actually mean and what cause them, you'll just keep mindlessly hacking, and the game lets you get away with it. But them's the breaks."

Same here. Chapter IV was easily my favorite in the game. Beautiful interlude with some of the best writing, plotting, resolution, and lore in the whole game, and for once sort of cooling your heels while doing sidequests actually made sense in terms of the main story. The usual trope of urgently having to Save the World from Certain Doom Right Now, but then going off to help random strangers do completely unrelated things always mildly irritated me.

After reading all the praise heaped on Chap. 4 I've decided to give 'er another go. Enjoying it quite a bit. I think some time away from the game has helped, and that I've found the more interesting quests in the chapter.

I still resent the forced heel cooling. I guess I should give them points for providing some kind of rationale. Also, while some of the posters seem to appreciate the beauty of the fields, I'm more apt to appreciate their size while repeatedly running across them.

Yes you can win just by clicking on the easier difficulty levels, but if that's a concern then simply don't choose those levels.

I'm replaying on hard, which is really the best difficulty to play this game on. On hard your normal beasties are still easy, but you need to do a lot more preparation for your bosses.
This game has a rich lore, and yields more the more you dig.

It depends on what you call 'strategy'.
If you wanted it to be console-like mashing of different buttons, you probably won't be entirely satisfied, since timing your combo's and tumbling forward or backwards etc. (jumping all around the place ;) ) is mainly the only action addict's element.

The other elements of strategy is knowing which sword and which style to use for which enemy, the brewing and use of potions, sword preparations and bombs; and yes, you do have to research your in-game info a bit for that. I don't understand the complaints about this, unless you prefer games that totally spoonfeed you. In that case games like Oblivion or Sacred 2 or Titan's Quest would be more your cup of tea.

I've just become very irritated by a gamer on another forum - a person with experience of shooters and RPG's say the following:

My problem is not my failure to progress or my understanding of what to do. I have leveled up to 8, I think, and I have killed everything I can kill—ghouls, glowing dogs, drowners, bandits, tall plants, even myself a few times.

I understand how it works, what I need to drink, etc. It ain't rocket science, but it is unduly overcomplicated to me. (Yes, I know that's a hallmark of the genre. I'm just sayin')

I don't like pausing the game while I drink a potion, slime my weapon, eat a chicken leg, comb my hair, and shine my boots…then un-pause, as if nothing has happened. To me, that's a cheat.

Then, if you lose the battle, you "learn" that, hey, you don't shine your boots last, you shine them first! And it starts all over again until you finally get it right. *sigh*

And the Aard blast works only sometimes. It is quite effective and I got very good at killing some opponents with one blast and a stab….then it just got a bit boring…until it started not working well on some enemies.

In this game, you don't become more skilled at fighting, you become a better flame clicker and sword slimer, after you pause the game and quaff potions in your recliner and return to the game only when you feel like it.

As I said, I do love the rich environment and all the people and life. It is truly great. I wish I could see the rest of it without all the prissy fighting and potion drinking.

Perhaps if I was a helpless human hero, I could understand better how I needed all the artificial and magical supplements so I could battle each class of enemy.

and

it's fighting I dislike, and in this game everything revolves around preparing for the fight. I mean, how on earth do you even know that Blizzard exists, much less that you need it to defeat the beast? Or, maybe there are multiple ways to kill the beast, but all of them I honestly don't want to be my game.

Well, bless my soul. I thought fighting and strategy was mainly what RPG's and Action RPG's were all about… i don't quite get what this guy was expecting from the game; if the "story-driven" tag made him to expect there would be no combat in the game? :thinking: <_<

Btw, this guy ditched the game in disgust because he couldn't beat the beast on "easy".

I must admit that i think it was a silly design choice to put such a relatively hard boss so early in the game. That Beast seems to have pissed many gamers off before they even properly got to taste the game in it's fullness.

Anyway, the guy's rant has now set me wondering. If you see a game tagged as an "RPG" or action-RPG, should you not expect it to be combat-heavy? I know some older games like Planescape: Torment was not combat-heavy, but at least it did have some combat at least.

Are there any RPG's out there that have no combat at all? (Not a rethorical question; I'm hoping to get an answer for the latter question.)

Hmm, I wonder if one could count the type of "combat" you get with some JRPG Console games such as FF to be proper combat, -but still, even in FF there are a few combat choices to be made here and there..
*sigh* we really need a better classification system for the different types of RPG, you know. :/

I must admit that i think it was a silly design choice to put such a relatively hard boss so early in the game. That Beast seems to have pissed many gamers off before they even properly got to taste the game in it's fullness.

Heh heh… http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6666

Still, it's a relatively small blemish on an otherwise incredible game.

Btw: That gamer from the other forum needs to change his tampon, and go back to playing Torchlight. ;)

Are there any RPG's out there that have no combat at all? (Not a rethorical question; I'm hoping to get an answer for the latter question.)

There's the Harvest Moon series for consoles, although it's more sim than RPG imo. I can't think of any crpgs that are completely devoid of combat.

Heh heh… http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6666
Still, it's a relatively small blemish on an otherwise incredible game.

:lol: I see I also added my 2c in that thread… Actually, they should release a patch to decrease the difficulty for that fight. They're losing fans who might have loved the game, were it not for that fight.

Btw: That gamer from the other forum needs to change his tampon, and go back to playing Torchlight. ;)
That guy should be ashamed, there are for real little old ladies who play TW and drool over Geralt. :biggrin:
Anyway, I've noticed him exchanging Oblivion mods and cheats with another guy, so I can imagine them playing it on easiest setting with god mode on. :p

They probably cheat themselves more cash too. ROFL

I wouldn't know, I've never been silly enough to waste my time even trying to play Oblivion on easy with god mode on, but I'll take your word for it. ;)

..and here I'd just taken it for granted that Greek men had lotsa balls. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom