D:OS Divinity: Orginal Sin - I have finished it!

Divinity: Original Sin

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Great game - superb final battle (duration: 2 hours on normal/no crafting).

My party: level 21

Lobo the Knight
Diana the Wayfarer
Layla the Rogue (Character of RPGWatch)
Jahan the Mage​

No quests left - playing time: 122 hours :)

I love this game - I encountered no bugs. Good game balance on normal difficulty level.

Attachments

• DOS.png
    DOS.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 173
Congrats!
I did it too, dunno how many hours, but more than 100. All characters were level 22, also on normal and no crafting. How's that possible? I did the charmtalk then killed them all later = double xp. :evilgrin:

Sadly one quest in my game was left unfinished:
2ynh312.jpg

I've checked later, that rift scroll is still in my inventory, I can't find bloody yeti anywhere, I thought he picked the spell automatically. :(

I will write a post in "finished" thread with some general things about the game with x/10. Later when my head cools off.

Some things are however left… Mysterious. I'd love to know if someone cracked those:

1. Orc Tavern upper level secret (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24911 ), how to open those two paintings?

2. Mysterious Stranger RPGcodex troll, okay, but what's with the illithid mysterious stranger that answers "…" when you try to talk to him in abandoned shack basement (Phantom Forest)? Teleporting him out of the cage doesn't help. Do I need some book to translate it or what?

3. What chatty spiderpig in King's Tomb (IIRC) was supposed to have? Unlike other pigs, this one's mute. And it's spiderpig, not mutepig!

4. How to save this chicken from tenebrium mines near Spider Queen, you can't teleport it nor pyramid close to it. How I know it's a chicken - she sounds like one! Oh and it's name is awsome:

n15ez4.jpg

5. What's this chain on the wall used for? You detect it with high perception, but you can't move it (Ice King dungeon):

16m3prm.jpg

Pics are taken with FRAPS as it's GOG game.
A bonus for the end since I see Hidden has it up there - a weresheep I wanted so eagerly to find just to get a semi useless armor set at that point of the game. A spoiler for those who can't find a place where she is lurking:
2wrp92o.jpg

Oh and these sounds in the attachment are definetly going on my phone. The first one goes either on SMS or on calls. The second one… Dunno, any ideas?
Note that both are in .ogg format so forget bloody WindowsMediaPlayer and use a proper media player (VLC for example).

Attachments

• DOSsounds.zip
    49.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The game's balance is severely broken as you can easily see skimming the official forums. I suspect you're similar to me though - building characters that seem to make sense in terms of the game's logic as intended by the devs, not fiddling around to find the biggest holes in the system (like a stealth party, it seems).

Personally I'm gonna wait to see if they add in more features (in the vein of AI personalities) or tweak the balance some more.

Do you feel like there's enough exclusive content that you didn't see to warrant a replay?

I'll play again on the hard difficulty settting (with crafting this time around) and different character classes.
I have only 43/63 achievements - so I think some secrets are still in the game.

I hope someone will re-build the original Divine Divinity…

@Joxer

5. What's this chain on the wall used for? You detect it with high perception, but you can't move it (Ice King dungeon)

you can use it - fiddle with mouse/camera a bit - it disables the guardians

Eh? Um… No. The chain by the stairs disables prison guardians and you don't need perception for that one. This one I'm talking about you can't operate at all. You can't pull it and you can't hit it.
There is also another chain on the end of the hall that disables guardians (invisibility, run, pull). Again that's not this one - this one is stuck completely.

The game's balance is severely broken as you can easily see skimming the official forums. I suspect you're similar to me though - building characters that seem to make sense in terms of the game's logic as intended by the devs, not fiddling around to find the biggest holes in the system (like a stealth party, it seems).

I didn't powerplay this game - neither did I try to min/max stats nor get maximum money. I used crafting only when it was necessary to fulfill quests.
Overall the game is challenging, but always fair. Some puzzles are really hard, but I like this kind of adventure-difficulty.

I can imagine party builds that are hard to beat - but what's the fun in this?

Sorry not interested into nostory or two-sentences-story games. :)

Yes I want an Ultima 7 remake too. But really, Diablo had a lot of story to it. It just sucked because it was a linear wall of text. Think of what could be done with this engine though, not to mention combat would be much more interesting.

You may make practically anything with this engine except FPS. Or Candy Crush. :)
You don't have to make RPG at all, it allows making a puzzle heavy adventure!

But to make grind, grind, grind... Isn't that a waste of resource?

Sure. But i thought that diablo is a click fest. In contrast to the turn based tactical combat of dos.

I didn't powerplay this game - neither did I try to min/max stats nor get maximum money. I used crafting only when it was necessary to fulfill quests.
Overall the game is challenging, but always fair. Some puzzles are really hard, but I like this kind of adventure-difficulty.

I can imagine party builds that are hard to beat - but what's the fun in this?

that's what I'm talking about. I'm tweaking characters regularly, but when I've figured out something that makes the game a cakewalk, I go 'meh' and try some other setup. I'm not playing through a game like that, and I'm not complaining about balance issues if I can avoid them easily. That's not always possible though - rest spamming in Infinity Engine games comes to mind. They just were designed with this playstyle in mind and there was no real way around it.

Mysterious Bottle - RPGWatch style - is working now:

Attachments

• 2014-07-21_00001.jpg
    2014-07-21_00001.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 76
Just finished a few minutes ago. Some final thoughts:

-the game's engine and general combat system is very good. Nearly rock solid stable on my system, with only about 3 crashes, and strangely enough those crashes were completely recoverable, with a momentary black out of the screen, some garbled audio, and then it automatically returns to the game exactly where I left off. This was interesting.

-story was okay, with lots of humor. But once it started to get heavy & serious, my interest level in following the plot & reading dialogue started to wan. Began to skip though dialogue screens a lot, relying on my journal to give me the short, pithy version of what happened & what I needed to do. After a point I just wanted to have fun solving puzzles, killing things & moving forward to the end. All in all, the story wasn't overly compelling & didn't grab me.

-game was a bit too long. Will be looking forward to shorter, less rambling user modules where I can sit down and have a fully contained 4-5 hour session with a complete story instead of 50-100 hours split into smaller sessions.

-combat was generally a blast and highly addicting, though too many battles seemed to involve spending 30-60 minutes just chipping away at an encounter until it's dead, Jim. Still not as fun as the many hours I spent on NWN modules but admittedly this is a very visually pleasing & powerful engine that can go places NWN couldn't go.

Really looking forward to what the modding community does with this.

Final rating: 8/10

DONE!

Da Sloth - Archer/Geomancer
Windy - Water/Air mage with a dash of fire (mostly for Haste)
Madora - Straight up fighter
Ithalos - Witch/Fighter at the start, ended up maxing witch and spread points through man-at-arms, fire magic, water magic, and air magic.

I ended up half way into level 20. There were a few quests I didn't finish, though I only really regret missing the Troll King. My archer crafted some lockpicks but that was it for crafting - though I still picked everything up, of course, just in case. I must have had around 200,000 in gold by the end.

I started at normal difficulty. About half way through, I missed the mines quest and ended up going straight after Mangoth. It was a tough fight against +1s but I beat them. After that I put the difficulty up to hard to try and make the mines a challenge but honestly, I never got a serious challenge again.... until the VERY final battle. That void dragon is death incarnate on hard! After a few turns, I had to drop back down to normal difficulty.

I liked the game quite a bit but it definitely has some issues that could use fixing. The first time I fought the void dragon, Madora tried to put fortification on herself, missed, and fortified the void dragon! Miss-clicks like caused three or four reloads in the early game.

Now I need to see if I can hunt down the proper soundtrack I was supposed to get with my kickstart!

Dunno about Steam version where it is (rightclick on the game title in Steam list, properties, DLC) but on GOG version you may download Soundtrack separately.

However you don't get all ingame scores in it as some were featured also in previous divinity games. Only new ones are in this OST.

There's one in the Steam directory but its just .WAV files. I sure hope that isn't it!

That isn't it. I emailed support asking what's up and it seems they're still in discussion about some of his unreleased works.

Something I should have mentioned about the game - it really was THE best for role playing I've ever experience in a single player game. The extra challenge of keeping two characters straight helped me keep better focus.

Back
Top Bottom