Anime Discussion Thread

@joxer
I know I was not asked...but still these two mystery/thriller/psychological animes where pretty satisfying for me.
Links to MyAnimeList:
Subete ga F ni Naru AKA The Perfect Insider
Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru AKA Beautiful Bones
These two are from 2015 Autumns list.

Ajin is next on the list to watch.
Erased seems pretty interesting and will check it out. Thanks!

But first, I have to finish Fantastic Children, only two episodes to go. It is a older series...but I also don't always follow the new series, but rather search for something that seems and looks interesting.

For example Mushishi blew my socks off. :) It is a masterpiece!

Active Raid
No way. I'll wait it gets either completed or close to an end before I give it a shot. Noted as "to check later".
I remember watched one episode of this but I didn't like it. It tried to be unique, but somehow it felt forced. Maybe I should give it another chance, but can't promise anything.
Shin Sekai Yori
https://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=9002
AniDB input describes it with "dystopia" and "rotten world", I say bring it on! Thanks on this suggestion.
Both have a warning "violence and profanity". A warning? That's exactly the honeypot my hand is aready reaching after! Thanks.
Mushishi blew my socks off. :) It is a masterpiece!
Erm I can't call it a masterpiece but it's definetly worth watching. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood back then.

Just keep 'em coming guys!

I know what I'll do this summer. :D

Last edited:
Sonny (12) recently started to become interested in Anime and Manga. Now I own a few, most of them from the 90s (95% of the manga I own are Shirow Masamune stuff, the same goes for a majority of the anime), but with two exceptions none of them could be considered as FSK 12-rated ( or PG-13, whatever).

So I allowed him to watch Inuyasha and read Dominion Tank Police. He liked both.

Then he started to google and discovered his new great love: Girls und Panzer. Nowadays he owns all available German-dubbed GuP Blu-rays and even an English language manga. He watches his disks each and every day, and because it started to get on my nerves, I dragged him to a local manga store.

Unfortunately, the store (with hundreds of manga series) didn't have anything even remotely similar to GuP, but the guy behind the counter selected seven series he thought would be suited to the kid's age and interests. Sonny bought two: Soul Eater and the classic Dragonball, and because he's apparently into moe, a K-On! DVD.

He enjoyed them all, even invested some of his pocket money in some more Dragonball and Soul Eater books, but we're still on the lookout for anime closer to GuP … featuring military equipment and girls, and, of course, rated FSK 12 or PG-13 … and at least available in English. The middle criterion is - obviously - the hardest to meet.

I found two series with girls and a military topic - Kantai Collection and Strike Witches - , but the latter is (I assume) rated FSK 16 and KanColle is only available in Japanese and incredibly expensive.

Any tips for mom Jaz?

Any tips for mom Jaz?
1. Try to get him into sports animes!

Baseball: Major - Excellent
Go: Hikaru no Go - Excellent; German sub available on Youtube.
Cart racing: Capeta - pretty good
Tennis: The Prince of Tennis - very good, a little over-the-top
Football: Eyeshield 21 - pretty good, a little wacky
Baking (haha): Yakitate!! Japan, pretty good, a little wacky
Boxing: Hajime no Ippo - very good, although rather for age 16+

Hajime no Ippo might be too early, the rest has 12-year-olds (or younger) getting stronger and stronger in what they do. All of them are very energizing and will probably make him want to go out and play. ^^

Some more I haven't watched myself (yet):
Cross: Cross Game
Swimming: Free!
Cycling/Biking: Yowamushi Pedal
Basketball: Kuroko no Basket (seems to be very good) / Slam Dunk!
Volleyball: Haikyuu!!
Ping Pong: Ping Pong the Animation (more mature? weird looking animation though)
Karuta (card game): Chihayafuru
Soccer: Area no Kishi (The Knight in the Area)
More Baseball: Big Windup! / Diamond no Ace! / One Outs (psychological side of baseball)
More Tennis: Baby Steps
Car Racing/Drifting: Initial D (16+ because of subject matter)

2. Make him watch everything from Studio Ghibli.

3. Introduce him to animes with subtitles.

4. If you want to really get him hooked for a long time, there's always Naruto, Hunter x Hunter, One Piece and Fairy Tail.

Last edited:
Thanks for the huuuge list, Arhu. I'll look it through together with sonny, but my son has absolutely no interest in sports! He's more of a, well, nerdy geek with a strong romantic streak.
The guy in the store also showed him Naruto and One Piece, but Sonny put those away. Studio Ghibli stuff is fine ... he loved the Ghibli movies we watched on TV.
Subtitles are a possibility, so I'll search on. Thanks again!
As for getting hooked for a long time ... well, there's so much Dragonball stuff around :).

Thanks for the huuuge list, Arhu. I'll look it through together with sonny, but my son has absolutely no interest in sports! He's more of a, well, nerdy geek with a strong romantic streak.
The guy in the store also showed him Naruto and One Piece, but Sonny put those away. Studio Ghibli stuff is fine … he loved the Ghibli movies we watched on TV.
Subtitles are a possibility, so I'll search on. Thanks again!
As for getting hooked for a long time … well, there's so much Dragonball stuff around :).

If he has bit of romantic streak in him then you should get him to watch Rurouni Kenshin. Its not romance anime but more like being nostalgic about the past and that kind of stuff. To me one of the best Anime ever created. They even have live action move now and they are pretty good.

Its freely available for stream here,
http://www.crunchyroll.com/rurouni-kenshin

I'll look it through together with sonny, but my son has absolutely no interest in sports!
Same for me actually, but it's no excuse in this case. ;)

Hikaru no Go is a board game like chess (you might have heard about AlphaGo recently), so it's a mind sport (in case it's just the PE stuff he doesn't care about). I had no interest in the game whatsoever before I watched it, but the series was just really fun.

As for a romantic streak.. how about Nadia: Secret of Blue Water (German title Nadia - Die Macht des Zaubersteins, also available on Youtube)? It's a bit older too (90's), but I liked it a lot. A Steampunk adventure story very loosely based on Jules Verne's 20,000 Miles Under the Sea, with some powerful emotional moments.

(..) Rurouni Kenshin. Its not romance anime but more like being nostalgic about the past and that kind of stuff. To me one of the best Anime ever created.
Agreed, though I'd probably wait 2-4 years before watching it (not sure if I would have liked it that much at 12).

Age 12, geek, romantic…
I say kill Dragonball for now and wait a few more years. :)
IMO Joshi is too kinky for someone that's only 12

In fact perhaps it's the best not to start with it at all.
That goes also to Naruto, Bleech and some similar shows with hundreds and hundreds of (filler) episodes. Sure some of that stuff is great, detective Conan for example, but who wants to follow the same thing for a lifetime?

Suggested on mal, whoever likes GuP will also like Saki:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5671/Saki

Show him some Mahjong game of course so he doesn't get confused.

Suggested on mal, whoever likes GuP will also like Saki:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5671/Saki

Show him some Mahjong game of course so he doesn't get confused.

MAL recommendation is sometimes way off, Saki being like GuP is a good example of that.

The real question is if Jaz's kid is into cute girls, school settings or military stuff… That should help a bit. Cute girls+school is everywhere, but cute girls+military is rarer and half of those animes have nudity.

Thanks, guys, for all the suggestions! :)

Rurouni Kenshin is something sonny might enjoy, so I put it on the list for later.
Nadia is something he'll definitely like.
I see why people who like GuP might enjoy Saki - same story, same style, different background.
The son is into all of those - cute girls, school settings and military stuff, so a combination of all of these is perfect. Any two might do as well (which is why he also likes K-On and might like Saki), but nudity is (still) a turn-off :p.

Thanks, guys, for all the suggestions! :)

Rurouni Kenshin is something sonny might enjoy, so I put it on the list for later.
Nadia is something he'll definitely like.
I see why people who like GuP might enjoy Saki - same story, same style, different background.
The son is into all of those - cute girls, school settings and military stuff, so a combination of all of these is perfect. Any two might do as well (which is why he also likes K-On and might like Saki), [I]but nudity is (still) a turn-off[/I] :p.

For you or for him? :)

My nephew is 9 and sort of starting to get into anime and he talks to me about it. However I have not encouraged him about anime yet give his age and how easily you can run to all sort of wired anime very easily. My sister (his mother) will bite my head off if she ever discovered that it was me who got him into to it!

Anyway do you as a parent worries that the harmless ones can leads your son into all the wired stuff?

No, I'm not worried yet. Sonny has been using the net (under our tutorial) since he's 4, and so far he has had a pretty strong sense of what is okay for him and what is not - besides, he's squeamish and doesn't dare to look at the TV screen when a mystery series is on (unless it's Monk). Usually, he's the one who looks at the PG ratings of movies etc. for guidance.

As for nudity in anime ... it's a turn-off for sonny. I don't mind that at all.

Wait, what nudity?
I can't remember any popular anime that isn't "censored" with either towels or scenery if there are scenes where people are supposed to appear naked per script.

IMO they overdo the censoring like it's something very bad, but it does make animators go creative with methods to hide stuff from watcher's eyes so it sometimes feels as better solution then showing everything. Kinda reminds me why Hitchcock's movies were so successful.

Sure, actual anime nudity does exist, but it's rated and not distributed as free watch on legal sites like Crunchyroll.

Wait, what nudity?
I can't remember any popular anime that isn't "censored" with either towels or scenery if there are scenes where people are supposed to appear naked per script.

Censored elements in the TV broadcast (or website like CR) are not always censored in the DVD version.

Anything with the ecchi tags is heavily sexualized as well, even if there is no actual nudity (lots of side boobs and revealing clothing though) and some very popular animes are ecchi.

-----

Thinking about animes Jaz's kid might like: Mai-Hime and Mai-Otome (if he is squeamish, probably more Mai-Otome than Mai-Hime, these aren't sequels and Mai-Hime has a darker plot). He might also like Sky Girls, it's a bit fanservice-i though.

Both Mai-Otome and Sky Girls sound fine. Will check them out, thanks!

Censored elements in the TV broadcast (or website like CR) are not always censored in the DVD version.
ecchi… Everything in anime and every anime is IMO ecchi unless contains actual sex scenes. Then again I might be wrong as I believe that term describes humor that comes out of innuendo or confusion over something that just look like.

I'm pretty sure DVDs have big rating stickers and are also marked as uncut/unrated/uncensored if different from theatrical/aired release. ;)

But why did we go to nudity direction?
There are superb animes definetly kids shouldn't watch that contain absolutely no nudity. For example Death Note, Another and Parasyte Maxim. Just that Another anime is a great example, cute kids in a school, no nudity, yet IMO a nearmasterpiece kids should stay away from as I can imagine not being able to sleep if I watched it when I was a kid.
On the other hand, there is an absolute masterpiece anime Ghost in the Shell where the opening already contains a nude body (okay, it's not actually a human body) that kids can watch and won't feel awkward but kill me if they could understand anything that happens in there so it'd be a waste of time to them.

Last edited:
Another has a 17+ age rating. I remember skipping it, because something about it reminded me of Gilgamesh and Ergo Proxy which I didn't like that much 10 years ago (maybe I should give them another go, hmm).

I wonder if Jaz's son likes singing/j-pop idols? The iDOLM@STER, Lemon Angel Project and AKB0048 (for some action). Lemon Angel Project is the shortest series, but I have no idea if it has dubs.

ecchi… Everything in anime and every anime is IMO ecchi unless contains actual sex scenes. Then again I might be wrong as I believe that term describes humor that comes out of innuendo or confusion over something that just look like.

The term covers everything from talking about sex (innuendo included) to nudity, but the tag is reserved for animes that go overboard with sexual fanservices.

azarhal said:
I wonder if Jaz's son likes singing/j-pop idols? The iDOLM@STER, Lemon Angel Project and AKB0048 (for some action). Lemon Angel Project is the shortest series, but I have no idea if it has dubs.
Oh, he instantly liked AKB0048 when I showed it to him :).

But why did we go to nudity direction?
There are superb animes definetly kids shouldn't watch that contain absolutely no nudity.
Sure, and that's something kiddo is quite concerned about. He was afraid of watching InuYasha (at least the series had some pretty scary scenes ), but the movies are harmless in that regard, and when I told him that we would watch it together it was okay with him.
Heck, he even came out of bed cyring after reading an especially suspenseful Three Detectives novel ^^.
Innuendo and towels, now that's fine with him, but … well, he really loves romantic Hollywood comedies (IDKW, none of us did back then - but having to watch those with the son, well, you get used to them) yet he usually leaves the room once things get awkward, or if people lose their clothes.
He also watched Paprika with me and survived; now there's hardly any violence and no blush-worthy content, but it can be a bit haunting at times.
On the other hand, there is an absolute masterpiece anime Ghost in the Shell where the opening already contains a nude body (okay, it's not actually a human body) that kids can watch and won't feel awkward
True.
but kill me if they could understand anything that happens in there so it'd be a waste of time to them.
He knows it contains some gore, so he did not want to watch it - the political and philosophical topics aside. But he actually read two issues of the Appleseed manga and was not turned off by that stuff.

Hah, thinking of it, I remember how I watched the second GiTS movie for the first time - in Japanese with no subtitles. And yet I understood most of what was going on.
Sonny did watch two episodes of GitS: SAC with me, though, after I promised that they didn't contain any bloody violence. And we watched two of the three (newer) Appleseed films - he liked the action, and he liked Deunan, so there.

To be honest, as long as he doesn't give up searching for quality and as long he doesn't turn to pokemon and yu-gi-oh which are milking scemes and not stories made just for stories sake, it's all good. ;)

Another has a 17+ age rating. I remember skipping it, because something about it reminded me of Gilgamesh and Ergo Proxy which I didn't like that much 10 years ago (maybe I should give them another go, hmm).
I didn't watch Gilgamesh.
But Ergo Proxy is IMO overrated. There is my old post about it, and I suggest skipping that one completely:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061251248&postcount=814

I managed to acquire a not-so-expensive, EN-subbed copy of Kantai Collection for Sonny, by the way. Warships, girls, school ... he's pretty happy with what the Easter bunny brought him :).

Back
Top Bottom