Nioh - Review @ Gaming Age

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gaming Age reviewed the Complete Edition of Nioh:

Nioh: Complete Edition review for PC

The announcement that Nioh, the ultra-hard, Samurai action RPG from Team Ninja and Koei Tecmo was going to be released on PC came out of nowhere. The original game released in February of this year exclusively on the PlayStation 4. The Dark Souls/Ninja Gaiden inspired RPG was incredibly well received, but something that the community largely assumed would remain a PS4 exclusive, not unlike 2015s smash hit, Bloodborne. Then out of nowhere, they announce not only a port, but a “Complete Edition” coming to PC, and coming soon! The Complete Edition includes the base game, as well as the three-story expansions that came to the PS4. This looked to be the definitive version of an already amazing game, but I tempered my excitement, mostly due to being bit by PC ports too many times in the past. Unfortunately, I ended up getting about 50% of what I wanted here, with the game still being absolutely fantastic, but the port ending up with more issues that I had hoped.
[...]
Assigning a grade here is exceptionally difficult. I would like to judge the game based on its own merit, PC port notwithstanding, unfortunately, this is a review for the Complete Edition, which is the PC port. If you have ever praised the sun, or if you have any fear of the old blood, Nioh is an absolute must play. A fantastic and deep combat system, coupled with great boss design and a difficult yet fair effort/reward loop put Nioh right up there with its not so distant brothers in Dark Souls and Bloodborne. If I were to assign a score to the game, simply for its content it would absolutely be a solid “A”. Unfortunately, even though it is the Complete Edition, this is not necessarily the superior version of the game. If you only play games on PC, this game is still a no-brainer to pick up, but if you’re like me and have consoles as well as a computer, I think the PS4 may still be the place to play Nioh.

Grade: B-
More information.

No love for ninjas?

This game is awesome!

I'm up for it, but they've pissed off a lot of the PC crowd with the lack of mouse support. A friend of mine said it was good fun.

I like dark souls better but this is a very good game. Have it on the ps4. Lack of M&K support on PC is pretty lame. Having beat DS 1-3 and lords of the fallen with keyboard and mouse and spending a significant amount of time with this game I see no reason why they couldn’t have made good M&K controls if they wanted to.

I’m guesssing they don’t expect many PC sales so they wanted to invest as little as possible in the port.

Well, it was a PS4 exclusive. There were no plans on a PC version for a long time.

Thing is, they made a great game and good controls are a big part of why the gameplay works so well.

It's too late to design the game for mouse. The games complete. All they can do is their best effort at porting the controls to mouse and that is going to be so much worse than a proper mouse designed game you might as well not bother. I'm sure if they set out to make a PC game from the start then the decision to have mouse would change more than just controls and effect inventory GUI and all sorts of things.

Then the hypothetical mouse port players could go and user review the game, played as it wasnt supposed to be, and say "wow, this gameplay sucks"

It's just a pity that the user reviews on Steam are not all from people who expected to play a PS4 exclusive with its intended control device. Then we could get a more accurate score.

That and if more people would realise that their 960M laptop isn't actually any good for gaming.

edit: Here's some mod I haven't tried if you want to port your own mouse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDxfhL1LEC4

Last edited:
Well, it was a PS4 exclusive. There were no plans on a PC version for a long time.

Thing is, they made a great game and good controls are a big part of why the gameplay works so well.

It's too late to design the game for mouse. The games complete. All they can do is their best effort at porting the controls to mouse and that is going to be so much worse than a proper mouse designed game you might as well not bother. I'm sure if they set out to make a PC game from the start then the decision to have mouse would change more than just controls and effect inventory GUI and all sorts of things.

Then the hypothetical mouse port players could go and user review the game, played as it wasnt supposed to be, and say "wow, this gameplay sucks"

It's just a pity that the user reviews on Steam are not all from people who expected to play a PS4 exclusive with its intended control device. Then we could get a more accurate score.

That and if more people would realise that their 960M laptop isn't actually any good for gaming.

We’ll have to agree to disagree then.

Dark souls was also specifically made for controller but played great with K&M once mapped properly.

Not sure why everyone thinks there’s some huge difference between pressing a button on a controller or pressing a key on a keyboard. There’s not, just map each button to a mouse button and keyboard key. Then allow them to be remapped and people can make what’s comfortable for them.

How do I know? Well that’s exactly what I did for dark souls 1 with third party software because official support was so bad. It worked great. I played the crap out of it to the tune of 250 hours, new game++ and multiplayer.

I have no problem playing with controllers when needed. I platinumed DS3 and bloodborne and am midway through nioh ( guesstimating) on ps4 but to think that these games are somehow designed in a way that they can’t be played with mouse and keyboard and play great is just plain wrong.

We 100% agree on the 960m comment. I blame pc manufacturers and sellers for that though. Marketing them as “ gaming PC’s” to people that don’t know any better.

Also agree that nioh is a great game and if you play with a controller on PC I’d highly recommend it.

If indie studio can do then publisher should copy (decent pc interface). Problem is not real port just money grab. BTW there was one fantastic game Sega did something like Val???nthat game was so good and had decent pc interface added. Yum I should replay.mpity no sequel occurred.

Personally, my fondness for the PC platform is all about the freedom it provides. IMO, to release a PC game and make it clear that it's for a controller is absolutely fine, as it would be if it required a flight stick or steering wheel. People are free to reject it on the basis of their preferences, but I don't think the studio has done anything wrong, as such.

Back
Top Bottom