NWN - Have you played it?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Lucky Day spotted a short article about Neverwinter Nights on Rock Paper Shotgun:

Have You Played... Neverwinter Nights?

More like AriBEST!

Neverwinter Nights is a Dungeons & Dragons RPG from the early 2000s and it very handily got an enhanced edition last year. What timing! There's a sequel where you have prettier character models, but I still prefer the first one. This is party because I like complex RPGs, but mostly because of Aribeth.

Aribeth de Tylmarande is a half-elven NPC paladin for Tyr, the blind god of justice. A lot of paladins are stuffy and over-concerned with rules. They are basically narcs. They are the narc class. Do not @ me. I'm not even on Twitter so it won't work, haha I win!

[...]

That aside, Aribeth is actually one of my favourite game characters ever. She has a great arc in the story (extended if you also get all the DLC for the game, of which there is plenty) and despite being held back by her ridiculous armour, or perhaps pushed forwards, she is also a certified badass who swings a massive great sword around. Thumbs up for Aribeth.
More information.

Played it back in 2002 and have never stopped since then thanks to mods. Despite it not ageing well by modern standards this in my most played game along with NWN 2.

I tried to play ee earlier this year, looks like total shit; will wait for the graphics update.

I tried to play ee earlier this year, looks like total shit; will wait for the graphics update.
There is a mod overhaul in development that shows good potential.

BeamDog is supposed to be upgrading the graphics finally also.

A modder is also looking to enhance and modernize the NWN2 engine.

I played this in 2004, but I've never replayed it. I picked up the newest version a few months ago, and I'm planning to play it at some point this year. I do recall enjoying the original a great deal, so I'm hoping the new version is at least that good, if not superior.

Oh yeah! I'm one of those weirdos who even enjoyed the main campaign! :) I played a lot of NWN last year so I'm having a break for a bit, but I have Swordflight waiting for me when I get back to it. I've also never got that far with Darkness over Daggerford, so I need to do that at some point.

The EE is a weird one - the improvements aren't very obvious to me. But some of the recent changes are good, eg the new "keyhole" option that lets you clearly see your character through walls etc. Hopefully they'll continue adding new functionality and improvements and we'll continue getting new mods from those lovely folk at the NWN Vault.

I agree with Couch. I have been playing NWN1&2 for many years off and on. I'm even one of the weirdos that love the Persistent Worlds and play online with friends.

Love to play the mods based on the old AD&D modules like Keep on the Borderlands.

Love NWN - and just completed the entire main campaign and both official expansions on my Android tablet when it was released! I remember seeing this article linked by someone on Twitter (ironic) but it wasn’t worth commenting on the RPS site. Need to replay NWN2 once I finish my current game!

Also love NWN but mainly the community made modules. Didn't enjoy OC and SoU. HotU was awesome though!

Yep, completed the first two NWN modules and part of the third. It was okay once I got used to the interface, but I was frustrated by the lack of companion control and so switched to NWN2 once it came out. In terms of module construction, the fully-tile-based approach of NWN is easier but NWN2 is much more powerful and visually appealing. For me it's not a contest. They're both positive contributions to the cRPG market, and I haven't seen a suitable replacement come out that offers the same party-based functionality for the game builder. Perhaps Realms Beyond will do that?

Played it back in 2002 and have never stopped since then thanks to mods. Despite it not ageing well by modern standards this in my most played game along with NWN 2.

I've played both NWN 1 & 2 (w/expansions) multiple times, and enjoyed them more than the Baldur's Gate series. That said, I've not tried the enhanced versions.

I've played both NWN 1 & 2 (w/expansions) multiple times, and enjoyed them more than the Baldur's Gate series. That said, I've not tried the enhanced versions.
It's pretty much the same just updated to run better on modern systems. Correction it has some new graphic filters and changes but that's it. I'd say buy on a cheap sale.
Yes, his work thus far has been impressive. Plus he's made it much easier to port rigged models to NWN2.
To bad he doesn't have his own webpage but he does post on the Vault.

Link -https://forum.neverwintervault.org/t/project-fl/409
Project FL (FreshLook) is an implementation of a graphics engine for NWN2.
(Realistic?) Objectives:

• I want to develop a graphics engine because I’m serious about graphics programming and using NWN2 as a target is a good motivation for me.
  • I want to experiment with current-gen rendering techniques and see if I can get an interesting new fresh look.
(Dream-on?) Objectives:

• Maybe someday this graphics engine could modernize and replace the vanilla one.
  • Maybe someday the community will build a RPG engine like NWN2 using this graphics engine.

Here are some shader improvements that Beamdog has been working on for nwn:ee.

I presume we won't see any of these in the actual game until the 64 bit update is released

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/other/nwnee-shader-prototypes-advanced-content

with

displacement3.jpg

without

gtv2zf5f20iz.jpg

discussion here

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...w-shader-pipeline-nwn-ee-feedback-is-welcomed

Aged horribly. I found it amazing near its original release years. Tried it recently and found the thing annoyingly unplayable, boring to the point where boredom drove a spear into my side. Couldn't take it anymore, had to uninstall or else suffer total annihilation.

I played through it but lost interest at one point.
I guess I just got lost in too many sidequests.
I never played NWN2 because at that time my PC was too weak for it, so I lost interest in that, too. Plus I feared I might get lost by too many sidequests again.

Back
Top Bottom