Darklands - Retrospective Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Digital Antiquarian looked back at Darklands:

Darklands

Darklands may well have been the most original single CRPG of the 1990s, but its box art was planted firmly in the tacky CRPG tradition. I'm not sure that anyone in Medieval Germany really looked much like these two...

Throughout the 1980s and well into the 1990s, the genres of the adventure game and the CRPG tended to blend together, in magazine columns as well as in the minds of ordinary gamers. I thus considered it an early point of order for this history project to attempt to identify the precise differences between the genres. Rather than addressing typical surface attributes -- a CRPG, many a gamer has said over the years, is an adventure game where you also have to kill monsters -- I tried to peek under the hood and identify what really makes the two genres tick. At bottom, I decided, the difference was one of design philosophy. The adventure game focuses on set-piece, handcrafted puzzles and other unique interactions, simulating the world that houses them only to the degree that is absolutely necessary. (This latter is especially true of the point-and-click graphic adventures that came to dominate the field after the 1980s; indeed, throughout gaming history, the trend in adventure games has been to become less rather than more ambitious in terms of simulation.) The CRPG, meanwhile, goes in much more for simulation, to a large degree replacing set-piece behaviors with systems of rules which give scope for truly emergent experiences that were never hard-coded into the design.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Ah, the memories this game evokes. I wanted to like this game. I realized there was something interesting in it. But my PC at the time simply refused to run it in a stable fashion. I was never able to keep it running for more than a few minutes. I called their support number so many times that a few of the folks there recognized me by my voice. I was quite practiced at dealing with issues of the time in getting games to run. Still, this game was a nightmare. Every potential fix lead to another new crash. When I finally gave up on this game, I burned it... a unique distinction... no other game has led to me destroying it. :mad:

Ah, the memories this game evokes...(

I had problems with it too. I vaguely recall that it was something about keeping as much free memory under 640K of the DOS limit (writing bat files with manual address allocation for mouse drivers etc). I had a whopping 1M of RAM on my i386 LOL.

My childhood memories of this game are limited to its mention in CIV1 end screen credits (along with railroad tycoon, covert action & tie fighter game, LOL this screen will stay in my head till I die). Went on my radar again when I saw Matt's interview with Hendrick and some let's plays. It's in need of some quality makeover (recent bard's tale quality imho). Judging by Hendrick's comments it appears he is eager for a remake or spiritual successor of some sort, he lacks the funds but certainly not the spirit.

I was fortunate enough to be living in Maryland when this project was underway, and got to test it for several months. It's one of my favourite games of all time, and likely always will be!

Back
Top Bottom