General News - Chris Avellone Interview

Infinitron said: ↑

Mmmm hmmm, and yet, I think Chris' earlier response to me suggests that he was in fact willing to put up with all sorts of management failures if he thought it was for a worthwhile cause - an inspiring cause.

Chris Avellone said:
That wasn't it (although it would have helped). The issue was I felt loyalty and indebted to Feargus.

To explain, for a long time, I thought Feargus had protected me from my early management failures back at Interplay (I definitely made some as a first lead on Torment) and watched out for me when I was under stress and working double-time on Fallout 2/Torment - and he told me as much, which I thought was a noble thing for a manager to do, so I resolved to support him as best I could because he clearly had my back.

During the last year at Obsidian, however, one of the breaking points (and I think he didn't realize how much his Interplay protection had meant to me personally) was he then told me he had actually done the exact opposite of what he said he'd done and that he hadn't done anything at all, and in fact, encouraged some of the troubles I had experienced. Other Obsidian employees have experienced similar revelations of past actions that turned out not to be true by Feargus's own admission.

It was a big shock to me, but I made sure to double-check with him to make sure I'd heard him right, then went back to my office and thought for a while. One big problem with this revelation was it was one of the reasons I'd defended him at Interplay, gone with him to Obsidian, and then defended all he'd done for there for the past 9 years… because I thought he'd stood up for me and made sacrifices for me as an employee. But he hadn't. It was like a chunk of my life had been derailed, and I felt sick about it. After this, I stopped defending him to others (although I didn't attack him) and I became more aware of other things he did that were causing problems. It didn't cause anger, it was just like having a veil pulled from your face and you started seeing things around you more clearly. I also started being a bit more blunt when I saw things going wrong (reviews, feedback, lack of clarity in decisions, pipeline wastes in time, resources, and money), which I imagine went over less well when compared to my previous behavior of being careful bringing these things up.

Overall, I just wanted (and still want) Feargus to be a good manager, treat people fairly, take a breath before doing something to alienate publishers until he doesn't need publishers anymore, and show some empathy for the states of his employees - and realize how his behavior can hurt them, either directly, or by example. Even if he may do other things to help them, it can't be hit or miss or be carelessly affect their lives (repeated sudden layoffs, favoritism, not dealing with immigration problems properly, not paying employees back, not trying harder to prevent project collapses without working hard on a back-up plan, and more). A lot of the problems we had (ex: Stormlands) could have been avoided, or we could have made a better plan - before doing another round of layoffs. And each problem made our situation more and more desperate (until PoE1, although PoE1 didn't save the company, it just helped our image and company morale - Armored Warfare actually kept things afloat for a long time, although the team wasn't given much thanks for that, imo).

That said, the only other thing I wanted from Feargus? Was a plan. Where in the hell was the company going or supposed to go?

Fargo had a plan when I talked to him when I started working on WL2 part-time at inXile… he had a five-year plan that was very clear, made a lot of sense, and clicked. In all the years at Obsidian (no shit), there wasn't a sense of where the company should go, would go, or how it would get through the next few months.

Part of this can be explained by the financial desperation, but not all of it, and the frustration wasn't mine alone - the other owners (esp. Jones) would get extremely frustrated there wasn't some sort of compass guiding our efforts, and it showed. We just kind of reacted to things vs. planning them, which didn't help our stability.

It could be crowdsourcing may be the plan now, or making similar games to PoE and Indiana but it wasn't the 5-year plan at the time of my departur - and doing the same thing repeatedly may not help Obsidian in the long run without other changes. Also, I've noticed Feargus is taking more and more non-Obsidian roles (Fig, Zero Radius), and I'm worried those might be stepping stones for a future, final step from selling the company - which is good for him, but I don't know about everyone else.

Feargus sounds like a total narcissist. The narcissist strips a person of self esteem and makes you think its your fault but also that they are helping you. In this way Feargus controlled and utilized Avellone. It probably helped his egotistical need to be at the center of everything too.

. Also he said that he is being paid much more than when he was at Obsidian (this was part of his answer when people asked how he was able to get enough money to live 200 years)
Prove it as his work on various RPGs in the last three couldn't of paid that well. Anyway as i see the internet is divided between three camps in the this debacle

So lets see we have haters, fanboys, and of the course the neutral party. Anyway if I or another average Joe did this shit we would never get hired at another job.

Gotta love those double standards just because he is a beloved RPG icon.

We know the people at Obsidian are underpaid relative to industry standards. We also know that contractors get much higher rates of pay than salaried employees. Given that Chris has been involved with many developers at this point and given that he has a rock star status in the industry and so will be able to name his rate...I can see him collecting a sizeable chunk of change for his troubles.

We know the people at Obsidian are underpaid relative to industry standards. We also know that contractors get much higher rates of pay than salaried employees. Given that Chris has been involved with many developers at this point and given that he has a rock star status in the industry and so will be able to name his rate…I can see him collecting a sizeable chunk of change for his troubles.
He was probably paid a few grand and royalties with each game. That hardly makes enough money for 200 years. Sigh why bother when fans will just blindly believe him.

Moving on I'll say sorry I need more proof then the word of one disgruntled employee with an vendetta, and his entire fanboy league who constantly defends him.
Anyway, not going to get into a debate over this, we both have opinions that are opposite - in different universes.
My opinion as well Arkadia7. As nothing will change my mind or his following.

Update: My last opinion this topic and I wont reply anymore.

Listen, the only thing anyone knows here is that Chris has decided to go ape shit on Obsidian. Many might trust he’s telling the truth, and maybe his stories corroborate what others heard in the past, but he’s doing this in the most unprofessional way possible.

Last edited:
Chris is not under NDA, which is rare in this industry. I wish others could be as forthcoming. Also I don't see the whistleblowing as attempting to harm Obsidian but rather attempting to save it. There have been interviews in the past where Feargus has admitted wanting to sell Obsidian. What happens to the employees then?

The way I look at it is, on one hand, you have the rpg developer Obsidian. Feargus was also involved with earlier games that are considered classics of rpgs such as Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale. Fallout New Vegas is another game extremely well received by old school rpg fans. You have to give the man his due, he has been involved with lots of great rpg games. Zoom ahead to present day, Obsidian is about to release a highly anticipated old school type rpg game in Pillars of Eternity 2. I'm ridiculously picky, but even I'm hyped about the way this game is looking (and no, I didn't buy the first one, because of how picky I am)

On the other hand, we have Chris Avellone, a rpg writer who has legions of fans. I'm not one of them. I said it already, in my opinion he has been way overhyped. I didn't think Planescape Torment was THAT good. It was OK. I have read much better books, both in fiction and philosophy wise. Maybe to people who don't read much, or never picked up a philosophy book, the game would seem like a revelation. Not to me.

The more important to me, by far, is *drumroll* Obsidian. I want them to keep making games I like. Maybe Chris Avellone can try writing a real book and maybe he will be successful in fantasy book fiction. If he hates or is bored with the rpg gaming industry, that is.

I've been following the last 100 or so pages of the Codex thread, because it's kind of like watching a train wreck: a horrible sight to behold, but you just can't look away.

As for Avellone, I'm not a huge fan of his either, but I guess his writing is OK. I can see why some love his work, though.

His accusations, however, are pretty severe. And I don't think that what he describes can be explained with "that's just your typical corporate culture". If what he says is true (and so far we can't be really sure), then Obsidian's upper management is teeming with nepotism, favoritism, mismanagement, and incompetence.

And sure, there's probably plenty of people who couldn't care less as long as Obsidian churns out the games they like to play, but it certainly puts a dent in their public image of being the underdog cRPG developers who have to fight the evil publishers to survive.

Over the weekend, this thread went from 96 pages (when I last checked) to 163 pages.

And now, judging by the pic that Infinitron posted, Chris is taking off the gloves.

Oh dear. :s

Last edited:
I guess maybe Chris feels that he is sufficiently well-established to get away with it. I mean, it would obviously be nuts to do this early in your career, but plenty of well-known people make a habit of twitter meltdowns and flame wars. Perhaps at a certain stage it doesn't do you that much harm to be known as a big talent with a volatile mouth.

Compared to PieDiePie Chris managed to hold it in much longer :D

The more important to me, by far, is *drumroll* Obsidian. I want them to keep making games I like. Maybe Chris Avellone can try writing a real book and maybe he will be successful in fantasy book fiction. If he hates or is bored with the rpg gaming industry, that is.

So that forgives all the horrible things committed by the upper management of a company? Because it's within a law and they make the product you like?

I'm not a fan of Obsidian nor Avellone himself. But if what Avellone says is true, then, Obsidian's upper management is everything I hate about the wrong corporate culture.

Anyway, that's all I had to say about it. Can't be bothered to read all that 150+ pages of drama.

Last edited:
So that forgives all the horrible things committed by the upper management of a company? Because it's within a law and they make the product you like?

I'm not a fan of Obsidian nor Avellone himself. But if what Avellone says is true, then, Obsidian's upper management is everything I hate about the wrong corporate culture.

Anyway, that's all I had to say about it. Can't be bothered to read all that 150+ pages of drama.

Well, first I'm not sure all these "horrible things" happened. I'm not saying Avellone is lying about all of this, but he obviously has a gigantic axe to grind against Feargus Urquhart, so maybe he is "exaggerating" the worst parts, or painting this whole situation to look the worst possible way to the outside, because it fits his agenda.

I am a strong believer in the principle of people having a proper chance of defending themselves from accusations. I'm not going to automatically believe someone if they are making ugly accusations or even accusations of crimes against a person. Sometimes, things are a lot more complicated than they appear, especially when we are only hearing one side of the story.

Second, to me, this stuff isn't so "horrible". Even assuming its true. Maybe I have a different sense of perspective. I mean, I can imagine much more serious and horrible things that Feargus (or any CEO type) could be accused of. Just look at the Harvey Weinstein story from the recent past, for example. I don't excuse that type of behavior, seriously disgusting and unethical type behavior (probably criminal as well) No way. No excuses for that, and that is an example of really serious accusations, in my mind.

Here, let's go and make an absurd scenario, just to make the point. If Avellone had said that Feargus was acting like a Mob Boss, doing things like extortion, blackmail, and ordering his rpg industry competition to do what he wanted, or else, a hitman would "engage in a visit" , then my reaction would be very different. But not what he is being accused of - mismanagement, doing slightly shady business shenanigans, to gain business advantages, and basically being an asshole CEO all around. I think most CEOs are kinda like this anyway.

Well, first I'm not sure all these "horrible things" happened. I'm not saying Avellone is lying about all of this, but he obviously has a gigantic axe to grind against Feargus Urquhart, so maybe he is "exaggerating" the worst parts, or painting this whole situation to look the worst possible way to the outside, because it fits his agenda.

I am a strong believer in the principle of people having a proper chance of defending themselves from accusations. I'm not going to automatically believe someone if they are making ugly accusations or even accusations of crimes against a person. Sometimes, things are a lot more complicated than they appear, especially when we are only hearing one side of the story.

Second, to me, this stuff isn't so "horrible". Even assuming its true. Maybe I have a different sense of perspective. I mean, I can imagine much more serious and horrible things that Feargus (or any CEO type) could be accused of. Just look at the Harvey Weinstein story from the recent past, for example. I don't excuse that type of behavior, seriously disgusting and unethical type behavior (probably criminal as well) No way. No excuses for that, and that is an example of really serious accusations, in my mind.

Here, let's go and make an absurd scenario, just to make the point. If Avellone had said that Feargus was acting like a Mob Boss, doing things like extortion, blackmail, and ordering his rpg industry competition to do what he wanted, or else, a hitman would "engage in a visit" , then my reaction would be very different. But not what he is being accused of - mismanagement, doing slightly shady business shenanigans, to gain business advantages, and basically being an asshole CEO all around. I think most CEOs are kinda like this anyway.
https://techraptor.net/content/interview-chris-avellone-obsidian-entertainment

The biggest shock, though, came when the matter arose about paying back employees (not the owners, but our employees) who had given up their paychecks to keep Obsidian from going bankrupt. When we did start getting money in the bank again after this bleak period, however, the company’s spending began accelerating again. And when this occurred, it made me uncomfortable. At that time where our finances had become healthy again, I brought up that since we had the means to do so, we should pay back the employees who gave up their paychecks to keep us going. That comment was met with silence by all the owners.

I repeated the concern, but this time when I brought it up again, Feargus simply said, “we never promised we’d pay the employees back,” as if that excused things – it didn’t seem like a technicality to me, this was the right thing to do. He then said he wanted the matter dropped.

Fortunately, when another owner did finally admit he agreed with me sometime later (mostly because one of the unpaid employees confronted the owner on what was going on with it), we were able to push Feargus into establishing a payback plan and get restitution for the employees who sacrificed for us – and this was well before any owner paychecks resumed (by this point, the owners were resolved to not getting paid back, so it wasn’t a huge shift).
This is OK for you? I hope you got such a OK boss, I really do. And I hope your kids also will have such OK bosses.

https://techraptor.net/content/interview-chris-avellone-obsidian-entertainment

This is OK for you? I hope you got such a OK boss, I really do. And I hope your kids also will have such OK bosses.

I think I have made my position very clear. This does not rise to a serious enough level for me to consider anything like boycotting the company or something. If you or others who are big fans of Avellone are that upset over this, then you can boycott the company and refuse to buy their games in the future. Or whatever.

I will say again, in this scenario, I'm a consumer, and all that I really care about is the product. Unless it is something especially heinous like I mentioned before, most of the time, like most Americans, I just want the best product I can get for my money. What happens behind the scenes, meh, not really my business.

Obviously, when it comes to personal circumstances, that scenario is entirely different. I don't act like a social justice warrior, and try to hold every company that I buy something from to some standard that I would only apply in my private and personal life. Every company will have issues and problems in management, there is no utopia. I am a realist.

And I'm now starting to get tired of responding to posts about this topic. I'm some nobody on the internet, who likes to post in forums, and likes rpgs. I'm also very much into politics, so that is one reason this topic interests me. The political dimensions (and the drama) grab my attention. But I'm not the official representative of Obsidian or Feargus Urquhart.

Second, to me, this stuff isn't so "horrible". Even assuming its true. Maybe I have a different sense of perspective. I mean, I can imagine much more serious and horrible things that Feargus (or any CEO type) could be accused of.

I'm not commenting on whether what Avellone claims about Obsidian is true or not. But I find it sad that you find examples quoted not a big deal. Sure, until this happens to you and you suffer a great deal. Been through some of quoted examples myself - its not fun.

I've certainly known people that can grind you down. You don't want to end up feeling defeated and hopeless and I feel sorry for anyone feeling that way. I think taking a position of empathy until proven otherwise is advisable. Of course holding onto your skepticism is completely fine and admirable.

If the product of Obsidian is good you should buy it and not trouble yourself in that way unless you feel very strongly about it. Voicing criticism and asking questions through should be considered not a problem either side of the issues. It is not the same thing as taking a side. As my teachers would say, "there is no such thing as a silly question."

Back
Top Bottom