Original Sin EE - A Must Play @ Gamezone

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamezone recommends the Enhanced Edition of Divinity: Original Sin:

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition Review

Last year, both cRPG and Divinity fans were treated to an absolutely stellar experience with Original Sin on PC. The once prominent genre faded into obscurity in the 2000s, but Larian Studios decided to do something about it, and of course, gauge public interest through Kickstarter. Divinity: Original Sin was a fantastic combination of both old and new. It preserved the classic turn-based gameplay that cRPGs were known for, and kept the open ended gameplay of Divinity, while introducing some stellar new companion mechanics, and bringing the once 2D isometric game into a full 3D isometric view, with a fully rotatable camera view.

This year, owners of the original will be getting the Enhanced Version for free while console players will be getting a chance to try out this previously coveted PC-only genre for the first time.

But how does The Original Sin translate to consoles, and is the Enhanced Edition worth checking out?

Let's find out.

*Note: Since we never got around to reviewing The Original Sin when it first came out, we'll be diving into the story as well as the gameplay elements that make this game unique, which would have already been covered in the original review.

[...]

The Verdict

If the previous page wasn't an indicator, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition. Sometimes it certainly pays to wait and in this case, with the crazy amount of tweaks, changes, and updates, Enhanced Edition was an absolute joy to play.

PC players who have already delved into Original Sin get the Enhanced Edition free, which comes with all the new goodies as well, so it's worth revisiting there as well. However, the biggest triumph is that console owners will get to experience this otherwise PC-centric title with fantastically translated controls, stellar voiceovers for all characters, and some gorgeous graphics for good measure.

Don't let Divinity: Original Sin pass you by, especially if you're a fan of long, deep and ultimately enjoyable RPGs. What made reviewing this game even better, was knowing that Divinity 2 successfuly got funded on Kickstarter just under a month ago, meaning that an entirely new adventure awaits next year.
More information.

game is hard.
but i do like how it rewards you with new content for tacking the challenge.

i think i restarted the game 6 times till i knew what i wanted )

It's a nice example of what can happen when a game developer gets a do-over. I hope we see more of this in the future.

I started twice on tactician. Needed a heal to get past the 1st encounter (at least without using items). Shadowblade and modified Inquisitor (water, fire, earth). I've taken Madora and Bairdotr, so I can try dual wands play vs both bows and dual daggers.
Loving it so far, not every encounter has extra opponents. There's a water resistant exploskeleton right where you'd expect one :)

Having a Blast. Loving the crafting UI enhancement.

How hard is the "Normal" difficulty? Is it challenging enough for a first run or does it become too easy halfway through the game like most RPGs?

Inxile should send their people over to Larian to learn to properly do a EE

How hard is the "Normal" difficulty? Is it challenging enough for a first run or does it become too easy halfway through the game like most RPGs?

If they didn't change the difficulty curve from the pre-EE version, it doesn't get easier halfway through like most RPGs. The pre-Cyseal stuff (the tutorial area) is the easiest part of the game and after that it really depends on your party build.

The game difficulty is more in how well you devise a plan to defeat the enemies (counter skill/immunity/resistance/positioning) than anything else. Which mean your skill selection (aka party building) and combat tactics is really what define how difficulty something is going to be.

I personally suggest starting on normal for first time players.

In single-player mode the camera is proving more awkward to use, and it has a tendency to lose its focus on the characters and stay in one spot. Not exactly an improvement.

A couple of the new voice overs aren't of the greatest quality either, particularly the one for the talking sea shell. The old one was fine, so why did they replace it?

They've also made it nearly impossible to click on the rats, to the point where it isn't worth the bother trying.

They've also made it nearly impossible to click on the rats, to the point where it isn't worth the bother trying.
I think that is a feature, from what I read in D:OS those poor rats were murdered plenty :D

I think that is a feature, from what I read in D:OS those poor rats were murdered plenty :D
They have a fantastically cute voice though (Pet Pal talent) which makes hunting them *) worthwhile all in itself.

*) for a friendly chat, of course.

So far I'm quite happy with it ( just about done with first zone ). It's mostly the same with a few tweaks here and there. Story is a more comprehensible as promised.

The biggest annoyance left from the original is the vendor screen still sucks with the same problems: can't multi-character trade, only compares conversation starter not active party member's items, no repair all button.

And I'm sure it's an unintended consequence of consolization but the item tooltips are huge so after a half second when it goes to compare your items it pushes the tooltips all over the screen making quick glances impossible and a bit nauseating. I wish they had an independent slider for tooltip scale from the UI scale option.

Back
Top Bottom