CD Projekt - GOG Open Beta Starts

Dhruin

SasqWatch
It seems my key got lot in the mail but Dan writes in to say the Good Old Games open beta in underway as promised. Here's the latest from the site:
New games hit the catalogue during the Early Access Beta. The Early Access Beta launched on Monday, the first few thousand users have received their access codes, the first games have been bought, and the first new releases have appeared in GOG.com's games catalogue. Two great RTS games were just added to the ever-growing catalogue - Perimeter from Codemasters and Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising from Interplay. Early Access Beta users can buy these games now, but you don't have to worry. We still have some surprises up our sleeves (yes, there are multiple sleeves at work here). Just enter your email above – we’re still accepting signups! Our kindness won’t last forever, so enter your email address already, would you?
More information.

The keys can take a while to reach people, since they're being sent out in batches.

I got mine today. Also, if you purchase a game you get one Interplay game free. Hurray!

Catalogue isn't too strong yet and they need to add payment options, but the service looks fantastic.

Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising

Oh, wow. I didn't think anyone remembered this one. It was truly a fun game back in the day... I wonder where my copy went.

BTW, is it just me, or is there no way to see the gamelist without signing up? I've (mostly) gathered the info from the various sites I've seen GOG mentioned on, but I'd still like to see the "official" list somewhere.

We may see there games from Electronic Arts catalogue in the near future, including Dungeon Keeper (I hope for DK2 fully compatible with windows XP and VISTA) and System Shock series. At least that's what I heard of.

As far I know the game list is not public yet, but they've said we are allowed to repost it. They say they plan to add new games regularly so this may be out of date soon, but their current game list is:

1nsane
Colin McRae Rally 2005
Conquest of the New World
Descent + Descent 2
Descent 3 + Expansion
Die by the Sword + Expansion
Earthworm Jim 3D
Evolva
F/A-18E Super Hornet
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Freespace + Expansion
Freespace 2
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business
Kingpin: Life of Crime
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2
MDK
MDK 2
Messiah
Operation Flashpoint GOTY
Original War
Perimeter
Redneck Rampage Collection
Sacrifice
Shattered Steel
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division
Soldiers: Heroes of World War II
Stonekeep
Toca Race Driver 3

Have they altered the likes of Fallout to not black screen on nvidia cards and the like?

I don't know yet ... have to decide what to get ...

Have they altered the likes of Fallout to not black screen on nvidia cards and the like?

Yes. Though they have not addressed every problem with every game, they have edited the game's source code to address problems with XP/Vista/new computers.

I doubt they've addressed all problems with all hardware combinations, bug GOG's games should run more easily than if you got them off the shelves.

There's no charge to sign up right?

Definitely want to get that Redneck Rampage Collection. I remember playing the demo for the original RR, the game was an absolute blast, not sure why I never bought it.

I also wonder if these games can be played in higher resolutions than the original releases.

There's no charge to sign up right?

Nope. Nor is it obligated to sign up if you don't want to, you can purchase a game without registering. But if you do be sure to keep the download file on a back-up disc/burn it to a CD, because it'll only be available for redownload for people with accounts.

And you won't get the buy-1-get-1-free thing without an account :p

Definitely want to get that Redneck Rampage Collection. I remember playing the demo for the original RR, the game was an absolute blast, not sure why I never bought it.

Arundor also listed the coming soon games: Redneck Rampage isn't for sale yet. It will be next Tuesday.

I also wonder if these games can be played in higher resolutions than the original releases.

No, unless a fanmade patch exists for it. I don't believe CD Projekt issued any fixes for it.

RR had a great soundtrack, too, featuring Psychobilly and Cowpunk acts of the time. It was a great game, though a tad on the difficult side... at least in places. I haven't played the '...sucking grits...' addon and never thought of getting the cuss pack, but the sequel ('RR rides Again') which seems to be included in the Collection as well was pretty much unplayable under Win98+ (about 3 frames/sec... or so). If you get the GOG RR Collection, please tell me if they managed to iron out the old problems or if you managed to have the game run smoothly, and how!

Last edited:
Thinking of pocking up Fallout and Fallout 2. Never played either. Only thing is I read that they are turn turn-based, that really turned me off of ToEE, so not sure if I'll like it. Of course, it's only $5.99!

I got Shogo MAD, Max 1 (and 2, but who cares) and Fallout. If tested Shogo and Max 1 to date and it works fine on my Vista64 machine.
I really like GOG, they have some nice games I'm going to buy in the next months (Freespace, Fallout 2, etc).

And do Timeslip's Fallout tweaks work with the GOG Fallout?

Jeez, that was close. Mine came in at 6am and got shunted directly to my junk email folder. I'm glad this news item was here to remind me or I would have missed out!

Now if only this had started a week BEFORE Spore had come out...

Jeez, that was close. Mine came in at 6am and got shunted directly to my junk email folder. I'm glad this news item was here to remind me or I would have missed out!

Now if only this had started a week BEFORE Spore had come out...

At least you were chosen..... :(

I must be missing something -- I got my key, went to http://www.gog.com/ and... got the English intro, with no links to anything else, as far as I can tell. Yet the intro says that early beta folks are able to use the service and buy games. I sure as hell can't. What gives?

Back
Top Bottom