The TV Series discussion thread

One thing I should mention also, in conjunction with watching series three of Twin Peaks, both the accompanying books are necessary to understand a lot of what happens before and after the events in the most recent series. Not reading those would certainly have a lessening overall affect on the story, in my opinion. In fact, the first book can elucidate much of what occurs in the original series, as well as the feature film.

One thing I should mention also, in conjunction with watching series three of Twin Peaks, both the accompanying books are necessary to understand a lot of what happens before and after the events in the most recent series. Not reading those would certainly have a lessening overall affect on the story, in my opinion. In fact, the first book can elucidate much of what occurs in the original series, as well as the feature film.

which are those? The Secret History of Twin Peaks: A Novel and Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier? There seems to be a few other books as well.

Well it makes sense that you'd need a book to help figure out wtf is going on in Lynch's mind with that series. :)

I've never watched it for the story tbh, i just love the characters and the world building, the dreamlike (or nightmare rather) vibe it has. But i could give the books a shot, maybe i'll enjoy it even more.

I do grasp the overall part of the story, but certainly some things are just extremely mysterious and i don't know what its supposed to be or mean (which hasn't really bothered me but…)

I've never watched it for the story tbh, i just love the characters and the world building, the dreamlike (or nightmare rather) vibe it has. But i could give the books a shot, maybe i'll enjoy it even more.

The characters were definitely what made the original series so good.

I thought they were lacking in season 3 though, especially since Dale Cooper was barely present which I thought was a terrible decision. All the best characters from the original series were either absent entirely or, like Audrey, were just a shell of their former selves. After a certain point, I was only watching it for the cameos.

The characters were definitely what made the original series so good.

I thought they were lacking in season 3 though, especially since Dale Cooper was barely present which I thought was a terrible decision. All the best characters from the original series were either absent entirely or, like Audrey, were just a shell of their former selves. After a certain point, I was only watching it for the cameos.

I do enjoy both Dale Cooper and especially the doppelganger, the characters he deals with are usually really cool oddballs. S3 has so many characters, far more than in the other seasons, some are very brief, like Wally Brando but many of them do leave a lasting impression to say the least.. But yes i get what you mean, they're not very fleshed out, they're more anonymous, very different from the other two seasons.

Watched the first episode of Too Old to Die Young. Truly fantastic. Dark, unsettling and beautiful. Almost has a Lynchian vibe due to the long scenes where the camera lingers for a little too long. Beautifully shot and great music. Stellar performances. Hope it continues like this.

Aye, you'll want to read both of those dossier-type books. I'd also highly recommend Jennifer Lynch's novel that came out around the time of the film that detailed much of Laura's tumultuous life.

Slight spoiler....once you understand that most of the third series is happening in a few folks' minds, it makes a bit more sense. I initially thought it would be a very different tale, but that's why I'm the consumer and Lynch is the master.

Well I've finished watching Game of Thrones ( last two seasons, courtesy of russian torrent site :p)
Yeah, they ran out of steam and kind of rushed the whole thing. Jon Snow becoming writer's favorite pet is the worst to happen to series.
Plus all the gibbering..."He or she that doth not wants power, is one that doth deserve it"...plain stupid and nonsensical, in context of the whole series.
But Me does not want power, Me does not want to be a king, me just want to sulk and gripe and sulk, and wander around happily in the North!...who in the right mind would think this guy would make a good ruler. Or Bran?
This is not LOTR. And they absolutely rushed entire relationship/char development.
Plus the main battles were pretty damn silly and lame, hell even the ones from Hobbit were better.
Not a bad series overall, but went downhill last 3 seasons or more.

Yeah Bobo, that's pretty close to my thoughts on the telly version as well. Hopefully the books do something very different. One party that literally had me gasping with laughter was when Tyrion says something like, "Who has a better story than Bran the Broken?" Wait, you mean the guy that was entirely left out of one series, and was barely in two others??

I tend to buy most of HBO's series when they are fully available on DVD, I guess I can be grateful that I get to keep that money this time.

The one good thing about the last season of GOT was that my daughter ( A GOT series watcher)was back from college and we watched the last season together. We were both glad we were able to share the pain. . . .

on other TV notes; Season 2 of Aggretsuko is out. The Japanese anima about the millennial office worker, who on the side is a death metal Karaoke singer who bottles her rage until she sings. I feel her pain.

The wifey and I tried watching Designated Survivor. Great premise and the show starts off great but soon the show devolves into a hijinks of the week and we both felt we were being subject to writer story plot conflicts instead of a compelling narrative. We kinda gave up after the 12th episode and watched the balance of season 1 and 2 via short clips just to catch up on the story. We'll probably watch season 3, which is only 10 episodes long and basically involves him running for office… for the first time. The show was apparently picked up for a 4th season, but I wont be there.

Plus the main battles were pretty damn silly and lame, hell even the ones from Hobbit were better.

Eh? I can agree with some of the other things you said, but the battles? No way. The Battle of the Bastards at the end of season 6 was Braveheart-level brutal. Even the Battle of Winterfell, despite a few questionable scenes, was a hundred times better than the Disney-like crap Peter Jackson gave us in The Hobbit.

Eh? I can agree with some of the other things you said, but the battles? No way. The Battle of the Bastards at the end of season 6 was Braveheart-level brutal. Even the Battle of Winterfell, despite a few questionable scenes, was a hundred times better than the Disney-like crap Peter Jackson gave us in The Hobbit.

I agree, the pacing was completely gone during battle of bastards, ain't sure what the team was thinking when making it

In the end, it's almost like the people behind the Song of Fire and Ice show were more concerned about how people might think about the show rather than actually telling a good story. Some parts to me just look/seem like maybe it was overthought, you just cannot toss themes on the firepit and still believe you're telling a great tale. You need those basics to convey everything.

While visiting family I got to watch a couple of shows I don't have access to in the US: Titans and Star Trek Discovery. I'm watching the last 2 episodes of Discover S1 tonight so I will talk about it tomorrow. As for Titans, basically it sucked as bad as I expected. Why do the heroes engage in lethal violence? Robin blames Batman but since WHEN did Batman ever kill, or encourage the Robins to?? Casting is ok for Dick, Raven, and Beastboy (although he is too old, I always pictured him being more like 12-13), but horrendous for Starfire. Too old, too black. She should be a super-hot red-headed beach girl, not THAT. Jason Todd was awesome and perfect! Story arc would be ok if it went anywhere, but it just ends randomly. Not even a cliff hanger, it's like the show got cancelled mid season, but I don't think it did.

Watch Discovery. Expect crappy season 1, then it follows with brilliant 4 short trek episodes and then season 2 is good.

Titans is not teen titans, new titans nor any previous universe reset from comics. It's a show of it's own only with known characters. Two episodes suck (hospital filler and doom patrol spinoff introduction), the rest is good.
If you can't accept any of that, skippit and watch some not as heavy superheroes shows. That'd be Inhumans, The Gifted, Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, Krypton, etc. Titans is utterly different from those - everyone is flawed, the story is not about whatnot spielbergish family and there is no doctor/nurse in the team.

By mentioning The Gifted, I have to say that thai show of the same name is far better than Hollywood's one. It's a different srtory and setup, shows share only the name.
Note that I didn't add Umbrella Academy on the list, while it's about a sort of "family", the overall tone is closer to Titans than to any of above "lemonades". ;)

Last edited:
I have no problem with dark material, but these characters ARE pre-existing, as is the universe, so to pervert them like this is obscene. If Robin want's to take issue with Batman's reign of terror approach to crime fighting, that's fine. I just don't get where the killing comes from. He isn't Punisher's protoge.

I finished the mini series "The Name of the Rose" this evening, it's pretty good. I've enjoyed this tale in all three iterations that I've sampled it in to date, and I was fully expecting to not enjoy the television version, but I'm happy to report it's surprisingly enjoyable.

The one good thing about the last season of GOT was that my daughter ( A GOT series watcher)was back from college and we watched the last season together. We were both glad we were able to share the pain. . . .

on other TV notes; Season 2 of Aggretsuko is out. The Japanese anima about the millennial office worker, who on the side is a death metal Karaoke singer who bottles her rage until she sings. I feel her pain.

The wifey and I tried watching Designated Survivor. Great premise and the show starts off great but soon the show devolves into a hijinks of the week and we both felt we were being subject to writer story plot conflicts instead of a compelling narrative. We kinda gave up after the 12th episode and watched the balance of season 1 and 2 via short clips just to catch up on the story. We'll probably watch season 3, which is only 10 episodes long and basically involves him running for office… for the first time. The show was apparently picked up for a 4th season, but I wont be there.

Designated Survivor S3 is probably the best out of them. Pacing is much better. Season 1 was a mess, but basically I enjoyed it as mindles entertainment. Season 2 was more of the same, with a bit more character development. Season 3 is what the series should have been in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom