Siege of Dragonspear - Released - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Siege of Dragonspear - Released

Default Siege of Dragonspear - Released

March 31st, 2016, 22:38
The Expansion for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition - Siege of Dragonspear - has been released today:
A major new expansion to Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition adds areas, action, and adventure to the original!

"Fate leads him who follows it, and drags him who resist." -Plutarch

Though Sarevok is dead and his plan for war averted, peace eludes the citizens of Baldur's Gate. A crusade marches from the north, seizing supplies, forcing locals into military service, and disrupting trade along the Sword Coast. A charismatic warrior known as the Shining Lady leads this army, her background shrouded in mystery. Can the rumors be true—is she, like you, the child of a god?

The closer you get to the Shining Lady, the more you realize your father, the dead Lord of Murder still casts a long shadow upon your path. Baldur's Gate has put its faith in you, but you must determine whose interests you truly serve before you face the Shining Lady among the ruins of Dragonspear Castle…

Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear adds a new chapter to the Bhaalspawn saga. The events occurring between Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II are at last revealed in this 25-hour expansion pack for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

loading…

More information.
Last edited by HiddenX; March 31st, 2016 at 23:27.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

March 31st, 2016, 22:41
PCWorld published a review already:

Bottom line

New journey, old friends. I don’t know what possessed Beamdog to make Siege of Dragonspear an expansion to the original game, nor do I know what devil’s pact coerced them into making it thirty-odd hours long. It’s insanity.

But hopefully this isn’t Beamdog’s last bit of Baldur’s Gate content, because they’ve done an incredible job. As someone who first received Baldur’s Gate for Christmas way back in 1998 on six—six!—CD-ROMs, Siege of Dragonspear feels like a long-lost (and polished-up) chapter of the original, like it belonged from the start. That’s quite a feat, given the seventeen year spread in between.

Will it please every purist? Of course not. As with any beloved series, passions run high and nostalgia’s a hell of a drug. There are bound to be those who wish Beamdog had stuck to a purely conservationist role. But Siege of Dragonspear won me over, and I’d like to see what the team does next. Go for the eyes, Boo.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

March 31st, 2016, 22:56
I've held off on buying the Enhanced Editions of BG and BG2, since I have the originals and there are tons of great mods to update resolution, etc. This added content looks like exactly the thing to win me over.

suibhne

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

March 31st, 2016, 23:04
Well that review sounds promising. If gamers echo that assessment I'll breakdown and buy EE just for this.

greywolf00

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

March 31st, 2016, 23:25
For people thinking of buying BG:EE (require for SoD) it is 75% off on Steam until April 4th. That will require you of buying SoD on Steam too.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

March 31st, 2016, 23:31
Not too pleased to hear about the linear nature of the game, but still sounds pretty good, regardless. Hopefully we'll get a review here before too long.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)

March 31st, 2016, 23:35
I don’t know what possessed Beamdog to make Siege of Dragonspear an expansion to the original game, nor do I know what devil’s pact coerced them into making it thirty-odd hours long. It’s insanity.
I don't know what possessed PCWorld to employ this idiot, nor do I know what devil's pact coerced them into thinking more BG would be a bad idea. It's insanity.

But hopefully this isn’t Beamdog’s last bit of Baldur’s Gate content, because they’ve done an incredible job.
But hopefully this is the last bit of content from this writer because Beamdog have done an incredible job.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

March 31st, 2016, 23:36
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
I don't know what possessed PCWorld to employ this idiot, nor do I know what devil's pact coerced them into thinking more BG would be a bad idea. It's insanity.

But hopefully this is the last bit of content from this writer because Beamdog have done an incredible job.
Dude. He was praising them and the game.

I've been lukewarm on the EE, but this is enough for me to pick it up.

Kobu

User Defined Class

+1:

March 31st, 2016, 23:44
VentureBeat published a review, too:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/31/ba…t-and-present/

Score: 87/100

I guess I wait until the GOG release and german translation arrives.
--
A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage

Avantenor

Keeper of the Watch

March 31st, 2016, 23:50
As someone who first received Baldur’s Gate for Christmas way back in 1998 on six—six!—CD-ROMs,
…The original BG was on 5, not 6 cds I still have the original carboard'esque packaging.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

April 1st, 2016, 00:48
Originally Posted by Kobu View Post
Dude. He was praising them and the game.
Yes, what a shame he had to start his praise with words that suggest he's a complete moron.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 1st, 2016, 00:56
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
…The original BG was on 5, not 6 cds I still have the original carboard'esque packaging.
That's what I thought when I read it as well. i was going to check when I got home but now I don't have to, thanks.

Also steam has BGEE for $5 until April 4th for those that don't have it.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

April 1st, 2016, 00:57
Yes, what a shame he had to start his praise with words that suggest he's a complete moron.
How is he a moron? Because he's amazed by what they've done?

Kobu

User Defined Class

April 1st, 2016, 01:12
Mmmmm, new content for Baldur's Gate, weeeeeee!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

April 1st, 2016, 01:20
Baldur's Gate, the most overrated cRPG of all times. I replayed it (well, I tried) recently, and I finally found out why back in the day I was never too pleased with it. Because it is NOT a good game. And it is not just becuase of RTwP or the engine, Planescape used the same engine and even now I enjoy playing it. But Baldur's gate is just so boring….

mbpopolano24

Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 1st, 2016, 01:27
How is he a moron? Because he's amazed by what they've done?
It might help if you read my initial post again… I honestly can't help you if you think one sentence acts as a coverall for all other words used by someone. "I hate macaroons, I love shortbread" = see two distinct parts to that sentence, for which a love of shortbread does not mean the previous words are ignorable because the person likes shortbread. You are free to ignore the part about macaroons if you want, that's your right, but challenging someone who's talking about the macaroons and claiming the macaroon part doesn't matter because you're only reading the shortbread part is a pretty inept method of communication, and one that will ensure I put you on ignore the second you reply with "WTF are you on about macaroons for you nutter"…

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 1st, 2016, 01:34
Originally Posted by mbpopolano24 View Post
Baldur's Gate, the most overrated cRPG of all times. I replayed it (well, I tried) recently, and I finally found out why back in the day I was never too pleased with it. Because it is NOT a good game. And it is not just becuase of RTwP or the engine, Planescape used the same engine and even now I enjoy playing it. But Baldur's gate is just so boring….
You don't like BG, I can respect that, but overrated because you don't like it?

I don't think so.

For instance, I'm the exact opposite of you. I find BG to be great and torment to be one boring dialogue after another but I wouldn't call it overrated.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

April 1st, 2016, 02:58
BG is great. Tales SC also. BG2 too. And ToB. PST is no different.

And now in a thread about some phone product slaps are being exchanged about tastes on stuff that were not made for phones and for whatever reason god didn't stop defiling those?
I suggest a chill time.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)

April 1st, 2016, 03:32
It might help if you read my initial post again… I honestly can't help you if you think one sentence acts as a coverall for all other words used by someone. "I hate macaroons, I love shortbread" = see two distinct parts to that sentence, for which a love of shortbread does not mean the previous words are ignorable because the person likes shortbread. You are free to ignore the part about macaroons if you want, that's your right, but challenging someone who's talking about the macaroons and claiming the macaroon part doesn't matter because you're only reading the shortbread part is a pretty inept method of communication, and one that will ensure I put you on ignore the second you reply with "WTF are you on about macaroons for you nutter"…
So in summary, you wildly misinterpreted what the author wrote to be somehow negative about Beamdog or the game and don't know how to communicate that properly, or even politely. Got it.

Kobu

User Defined Class

+1:

April 1st, 2016, 03:42
So in summary, you wildly misinterpreted what the author wrote to be somehow negative about Beamdog or the game and don't know how to communicate that properly, or even politely. Got it.
No mate, I haven't said one single negative word about Beamdog or the game, I can communicate fine, but you're off your head, welcome to my ignore list…

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Siege of Dragonspear - Released