Dragon Age - PC Delayed

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Seems the PC version of the game will be released alongside the console version according to Blue's News.
BioWare announces a delay to the Windows edition of Dragon Age: Origins, saying the PC installment is now due in the second half of this year coinciding with the release of the console editions of the role-playing game. They do not offer a reason, but the pronouncement does include reassurances from Dr. Ray Muzyka, who says: "Dragon Age: Origins is shaping up to be quite amazing in its level of quality and polish," going on to say, "I’m really proud of our team, who are working very hard to make Dragon Age: Origins the biggest and most exciting BioWare game yet, and we will work to ensure it not only meets, but exceeds the expectations of our loyal audience of fans."
I purused the Bioware forums and here is what Chris Priestly post:
We wanted to give the community a heads-up on a recent decision to move the launch of Dragon Age: Origins for the PC to the last half of 2009. That’s a change from the previously announced date of March 2009.

Why is this happening? Both EA and BioWare are really excited about the potential of the game on both PC and consoles and we want to ensure we deliver a blockbuster, AAA BioWare-quality title - as the game is shaping up so well already. An incredible amount of time and effort has gone into Dragon Age: Origins and this extra time will ensure we deliver the quality kind of launch you have come to expect from our games.

At BioWare, our fans and community have always been top priority, so we wanted to you to hear this news from us first. Please discuss this topic here: Click Here
More information.

This is a very big bummer imo.
First they start by saying Dragon Age, PC exclusive.
Then we find out that a console version is also planned, but the PC still has priority.
Then the PC version gets delayed until the console versions are also ready, which by the short delay, of just a couple of months, seems that the console versions were in development for quite some time.
Bummer.

The reason is simple, regardless of what is said:
- Rampant PC piracy *will* cannibalize their console sales. Simul-reease with good ol' draconian EA DRM is the best way to ensure maximum ROI. Actually, based on numbers they could delay the PC release about a month after the console and release it DRM free ... but ...

Funny but no surprise.

It's a pretty solid theory that EA delayed the PC release of DICE's Mirror's Edge because they were afraid of leakage - PC piracy cutting into console sales. Releasing for PC prior to console release in today's schizophrenic world is a highly unattractive wager, especially to a company like EA.

It's just prioritizing. It is what it is.

it's very sad. the days of single player pc games selling millions of copies are over when everyone got a broadband. a game like the Witcher shouldn't have struggled to sell a million copies. few years back it would have sold double or triple then that. i wish there was a better DRM systems out there as we clearly need one which will both prove to be sustainable against crackers and won't limit legally buyers in anyway. Steam is a step forward. but it ain't perfect. if it was, we wouldn't have had pirated copies of HL2 out there.

I nearly choked on this line- "At BioWare, our fans and community have always been top priority, so we wanted to you to hear this news from us first."

I'm pretty sure MONEY is their top priority now!!

If Dragon Age has Draconian DRM I'm not buying it.

PR-talk is quite a language. With so many words, they manage to say so little.

Come on, how can people be down on a company for wanting to make money as well as please the fans? It's great to make good games, however if you don't have business sense you become troika.

This, I suspect, will no go down well at all with some people out there. Wait, this will not go down well at all with me! :O
Either they've been lying throught heir teeth for a long time or someone up there has forced them to change priorities. Both do not bode well. And I somehow doubt a single development day they're gaining will go into the PC version.
In fact, 50 virtual bucks say that there will be a further "short delay" for PC due to some phoney hardware reason, pushing the release date "just" a couple moments after the console release...

Funny but no surprise.
Funny? FUNNY!?? GHAAAA!!! Zloth jumps Brother None and starts carve his face off - being careful not to insult him in the process, as that would be against forum rules. ;)

A little more info, if you can call it that, from Gamespot:
Finally, Riccitiello admitted that the rationale for delaying Dragon Age may sound a bit odd, but said, "Too much quality can make you reassess your options." The game was shaping up to be so epic in scale, quality, and innovation--according to Riccitiello--that EA thought it would make for a stronger launch to have the console versions of the game arrive at the same time as the PC edition. Additionally, the time would allow for extra polishing of the content.

Heck if I know what it means. "We don't want PC pirates to ruin console sales" fits a lot better.

its highly insulting, but doesn't matter in the long run. the fact that we replay games proves that when a game comes out is of less importance than it being a good game. if dragon age manages to appease even the unappeasable when it finally comes out people will forget having to languish in the pc pillory(stocks). if it doesn't, i excpect even worse than mass effect rantings;)

so yes pc rpgers will still buy it in droves. the console-kiddies who can't get mum and dad to buy them any more console games will download it off the internet as will the adults who can afford it but have the self-esteem of toilet paper.

PR for this game is truly vile.

I´m not buying this crap. Figuratively and literally.

No, not the end of the world but disappointing.

As we'd say here: don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining. Just dispense with the "PC is the lead platform" rubbish and get on with it.

Last edited:
Chris Priestly: Yes, part of the reason for this change is that it means a simultaneous launch for PC and console versions.

On the next page of the thread he says: The PC is not getting delayed "because of the console".

It's fairly clear that the motivation for the delay is to have a simultaneous release. That doesn't mean they can't use the time to further polish the game, which in itself is a good thing.

Still, I always say that it's rather silly to blame businesses for making good business decisions. It's not like they owe us March release, or PC release before the console release, or even a game at all. They aren't doing the best PR job, Riccitiello is making it very hard for the CMs. I am dissapointed, March is going to be a month where I will want a lot to keep myself busy, but I'll still have Empire: TW to play, and that looks really sick. GTA: Chinatown Wars looks good for my DS as well.

Edit: not to mention Alpha Protocol, when is that due?

As we'd say here: don't piss in my ear and me tell it's raining.

Yeah, they really ought to shit or get off the pot *). Make the game console-exclusive and release PC versions or special editions with "extra content" one or two years later like they did with Jade Empire. They could call it "Dragon Age: Origins: The Beginning" or just add the year after the title, like EA usually does.

*) apologies for the language, but it fit so well with Dhruin's phrase

hey gang!

lets fight the pirates by treating every pc gamer like one and lie to them out right by saying that PC is our chief development platform while designing a multiplatform game.

gee i wonder why people pirate.

@Arhu: don't encourage that type of nonsense..... its the commercial equivalent of color changing monsters in the older JRPGs(same thing with minor alterations). people are smart enough to know when they are being ripped off.

@Arhu: don't encourage that type of nonsense..... its the commercial equivalent of color changing monsters in the older JRPGs(same thing with minor alterations). people are smart enough to know when they are being ripped off.

I'm with you. I was just trying to be sarcastic. ;) I abhor consolitis and everything else consoles did and continue to do to PC gaming - which doesn't mean I dislike console games, far from it, but I realize that they are very different. I'm also not fond of homogenizing streamliners like EA, which is why I find the whole matter slightly aggravating on an intellectual level.

And judging by the responses in this thread, we all know what the delay announcement means and we'd rather have BioWare speak plainly and not make up excuses.

I think BW are just doing what their masters have told them to do!! I still haven't forgiven EA for U9

Back
Top Bottom