Realms Beyond - Combat Development & Goblin Barbecue

@Ripper; - Yes, I spent a bit more time reading their posts and I like the way they think. If they can pull it off, then this should be very enjoyable - D&D 3.5 with TB combat? Yes please! I'd still like to see more about the story line though... seems that part hasbn't been expanded on anywhere. I remember the criticism that ToEE was an excellent TB D&D engine, but was quite lacking in the story department...sure people wouldn't want to see that again (although I quite enjoyed TOEE's temple delving).

Can never keep this sorted from Unknown Realm, the devs of which only update us every three months.
I haven't seen an update from those guys since November 2017, so nearer six months. Which is a bit rubbish really.

On topic, I think this game looks great and what the Devs say about it is exactly what I want to hear. It's high on my list of things to look forward to.

In terms of the asset drama, there were two projects that came out of the Chaos Chronicles collapse. This one, which was more recently announced, and the grammatically challenged "Demons Age", which appeared on Steam briefly in December and then vanished again when its devs (Big Moon) were challenged over certain assets taken from Chaos Chronicles. Big Moon said they would change the contested assets and put it back on the store, but it hasn't happened yet. The views of the Watchers who played Demons Age (I wasn't one) weren't positive in any case.

Yes, hopefully they'll expand on that in due course. As I said about the Bevontule project, I agree with the idea of developing and refining the core gameplay first, and I'm keen to see what they deliver here.

I haven't seen an update from those guys since November 2017, so nearer six months. Which is a bit rubbish really.
There was something in March or April, but now I don't know where I read it... Anyway, they *are* still working on it.

@Ripper; - Yes, I spent a bit more time reading their posts and I like the way they think. If they can pull it off, then this should be very enjoyable - D&D 3.5 with TB combat? Yes please! I'd still like to see more about the story line though… seems that part hasbn't been expanded on anywhere. I remember the criticism that ToEE was an excellent TB D&D engine, but was quite lacking in the story department…sure people wouldn't want to see that again (although I quite enjoyed TOEE's temple delving).
Devs are active on Codex topic about it.. one of the devs is a long time Codex member.
You can read a lot of details about the game there and get answers to any question fast.

Well I've seen better fireball VF/X, but that should be good enough for turn-based combat purposes. I guess we're not going to see Paladin, Bard, Monk, or Druid classes?

If I was developing a D&D game, and had to choose classes to cut, Bard and Druid would get the axe first, because they have so many unique spells and abilities that would require a lot of extra work. Monk also has a lot of unique wonky abilities and unique mechanics. The Paladin, though, would be in an interesting omission, since you could just run with cleric spells and the class doesn't have many unusual abilities.

I can live without the Monk and Bard. Paladin and Druid though are two of my favorite classes. Hopefully some day they'll be added in as "enhancements".

Leaving Paladins out is fine by me (they're booooring), but I would miss the druid. Of course, the more classes the better, both in regards to Character creation anxiety (which is my favourite disorder) and enemy variety.

Realms Beyond will have paladins and druids. Just not fully implemented in this prototype that the update refers to, I suppose.

Bards and monks are not currently planned, but are "under consideration" according to the developers' postings on their own forums.

I was most surprised they didn't include sorcerer, but it seems their wizard has some of the features of sorcerer, ie not having to memorize specific spells:
https://www.realms-beyond.com/forum/index.php?topic=30.msg92#msg92

Last edited:
Never run bards or monks, almost never run paladins. Druids are funky though, or at least the old school AD&D druids were.

Hmm waiting for the usual members to say something is wrong about this game. Wait no comments seriously? Not one member saying it's another knock-off.:cool:

Anyway I'm waiting for more game-play footage to judge this game.

I'd make my usual complaint that I wish more developers would create RPGs in ANY setting other than generic pseudo medieval Euro- fantasy…, but considering that Ceres games is making an isometric turn-based tactical RPG with D&D 3.5 rules and a hex grid the likes of which we haven't seen since forever… the unoriginal setting is totally forgiven.

As long as this game has a half-decent story, and mix of good challenging combat and other stuff any good modern RPG should have (some choice & consequence and quests that tend to be more interesting than Fed Ex and Rats in the Cellar). Then I will be very happy when it's released.

I hope they include either Sorcerer or Bard as I like playing charisma based casters.
Would be a pity if it wasn't possible.

I'm a huge fan of monks, and slightly less on bards, but prefer both hugely over any kind of straight-up finger wiggler types. I really used to be a great fan of playing the paladin class, but nowadays, not so much. It tends to be, at a basic level, much more powerful than the average class available in most games.

The Paladin and Druid classes will be part of the show.
The Monk class is still under consideration because its implementation depends on high-quality martial arts animations which we don't have yet.

*whispers to Hobgoblin* Monk is good; bard is better….and sorcerers...

Give the monks similar melee animations, I don't really care about that at all. I'd prefer not to have to administer boots to the head!! (kidding!)

It seems that Ceres is planning a Kickstarter this summer. Source: RPGCodex

Back
Top Bottom