Bard's Tale I - Original vs Remastered Versions

Except for music, I thought 2018 won everything; as it should. I think I liked the 2004 music better though. Don't know why. I've bought and played BT 2018 but I couldn't get into it. I hit about 7th level before getting bored. I enjoyed the nostalgia though for those hours. I'd rather play PoExile or Diablo 3 though. Still was happy to have the games on Steam though and will likely play them off and on. Note I skipped the wine cellar and just played the catacombs the whole time :)

I have best memories of the C64 version of Bards Tale III on a big color TV (28 years ago), NPCs were animated, it looked magnificent!

I've perfected the art of pressing AAAADD in quick fashion. Of course whenever a summoned or wandering monster joins, that screws up my flow though.

Is there a way to disable automap in the 2018 remaster? I suppose I could always just not use it, but don't trust myself. For some sadistic reason I found mapping on graph paper an integral part of the BT fun when I was playing on the C64.

I don't know if it's active yet, EMC, but there is a legacy version that turns off ease of play features.

Why on Earth is there so much empty space on screen in the 2018 version? They could have made the game window so much bigger. Or at least, you know, made the font larger.

They should make this into a reality test. Anyone who thinks the older versions look better would automatically get medicine treatment for their psychotic break :)

Seriously, though, what's with the "2004" version? Did I miss something. It looks almost identical to the Amiga version - which came out in the mid-80s.

Maybe I'm the one needing that medicine.

I believe the 2004 version was exactly that, a version for PC based on the old Amiga version which was far superior to the PC one at the time. So, no medication required. At least not for that malady. ;)

Amiga version looks the best. :) (Not shown in video! Though it looks pretty much like the 2004 version.)

That said, I love the new versions mouse-over info! Finally I know what the spells do.

I still need to finish Trails in the Sky part three, but after I do I will be jumping right back into Bard's Tale. The three hours I played maybe a week ago now were fantastic and left me wanting more.

For MAXIMUM FUN, what they should have done in The Bard's Tale Trilogy Volume 1: 2018 is maybe to leave in the oldie-style, scrolling, combat log lines and make new Injured-Stages for the enemies and signify the enemy-hit event by displacing the enemy portrait sideways and down in a couple subsequent quick steps - without screen-shake. If the enemy has been "hit in the flesh" display the ever more bloody injured-stages afterwards, until the last stage, where the enemy looks really beaten up, then it dies on the next hit. That would have been FUN! But with an option to disable any screen shakes or eye-straining flashings of the enemy portrait in blinding white!

I'm just over 30 hours into the remaster now and loving it!

Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom