Notre Dame Cathedral

Macron says it will take five, which sounds crazy, but it depends on how many people are working on it at the same time. Plus they aren't even close to evaluating all the damage yet.

More likely on how it is done.

4 years is already a huge worksite to fund and maintain. Using the techniques they used in the past is no longer sustainable.

They had not a market economy in those days and funding 50 years of wood cutting as material for the wood work was doable. Today, with the consumption, people will not even be sure they got access to wood for 50 years.

If they just put a corrugated iron roof on it and called it a day it would be finished in a few weeks and they would save a couple of billion dollars :)

Iron is too heavy for this kind of structure. An alternative might be aluminium.
Saving money is not the goal.

Iron is too heavy for this kind of structure. An alternative might be aluminium.
I'm not so sure about this. Cologne Cathedral has a steel roof framework and some say that's the reason why it was still standing after it was hit by dozens of bombs during WW2. The Vienna cathedral had its wooden framework replaced with steel after it burnt down in 1945. And if I'm not mistaken, Chartres Cathedral also had its wooden framework replaced with a metal one.

I don't think steel, steel reinforcement or any iron is the answer. Iron rusts and needs to be maintained. The iron in steel reinforced concrete attracts water and breaks down the concrete.

Carbon fibre is your answer.

Also, a thing like this needs to be made with love and the builders I expect will be devoted to God and not just to France.

It will be caught up in some of the same politics as the World Trade Center (why is there only one tower?) but I think devotion will prevail in this case. And not just something old.

The shock I had when reading / hearing the news was in my place much like 911. I mean, it's one of the most well-known buildings of the world !

So, I'm now so glad that it can be restored again.

(And glad that we Germans didn't bomb it in WWII.)

That is sacrilege as it should be restored to what it originally was. Just imagine if someone destroyed the statue of liberty and a wood/glass replica was put in it's place.

Damn philistines.:p

Just imagine if someone destroyed the statue of liberty and a wood/glass replica was put in it's place.

I'd say that's currently in progress. :p

I'd say that's currently in progress. :p
Metaphorically maybe but not physically.

The old house of glass metaphor.

I want be Nero playing a fiddle to see it ends.:biggrin:

main-qimg-28c11cd63654787c83a7a6d10a2bc13b

Put some wooden planks over it, and it'will do. The Lord will provide protection! :p

Back
Top Bottom