Mutant Year Zero - Preview @Rock Paper Shotgun

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden was previewed by Rock Paper Shotgun in a unique way.

FIND: Stand alone, self contained missions.
REPLACE: Open exploration in a post-human world where the characters think a boom box is a weapon of some kind, because of the name.

FIND: Near-as-dammit current day setting; humanity scrambling to deal with invasion from a more advanced alien society.
REPLACE: Fun post-human society set dressing – hundreds of years after we’ve gone, there are crumbling highways, rusted out ambulances, the remains of a playground.

FIND: Returning to the XCOM base between missions, to allow your troops to heal and resupply.
REPLACE: No rest for the wicked. Looting to find useful things, like medkits, or keys to locked doors from earlier in the level.

FIND: Different loadouts for different soldiers selected on deployment.
REPLACE: Finding new weapons as you go. Switching between silent and loud guns as the situation demands.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Another game I'm eager to play :)

Just look at the last 2 screenshots and read the descriptions ! :lol:

Thankfully this isn't due until December, it's hard enough to choose already with a PoE2 game in progress and BT4 and PF:KM just around the corner.

Last edited:
Thankfully this isn't due until September, it's hard enough to choose already with a PoE2 game in progress and BT4 and PF:KM just around the corner.

September????

I'm really hoping this game is simply crazy and lets you do things that many other games wouldn't. If you're going to go nuts in the genre, you should go all the way, in my opinion!!!

At first glance it looked too silly for me. Humor in games (where it's the main point) universally fall flat. But I really like the art & design in this one. Screenshots and models are gorgeous, and it's turn-based of course.

This game looks so cool... gameplay looks really good but it's the setting and quirky characters that's got me really excited. We need more games that are willing to eschew older, cliched tropes in favour of something different.

I realize that the article is trying to compare it to xcom but i wish there had been more details on the campaign. Yes I'm in the camp of thinking this will be fantastic but still would know more about the nature of hte campaign and value of exploration as well as the story.

I realize that the article is trying to compare it to xcom but i wish there had been more details on the campaign. Yes I'm in the camp of thinking this will be fantastic but still would know more about the nature of hte campaign and value of exploration as well as the story.

Yeah, I've been skimming previews trying to find something about the non-combat gameplay as well, but they only mention exploration is a thing but leave it at that. I would also like to know how linear the game is, and how many different party members there are. The campaign is supposed to be roughly 20 hours which sounds on the short side, but if I thoroughly enjoy those 20 hours and there's replay value because of different choices and party builds it's fine.

I thought the three starting mutants *are* the party, period. I can definitely see it being short because of the high quality.

I thought the three starting mutants *are* the party, period. I can definitely see it being short because of the high quality.

I read somewhere that at least one more party member is confirmed, but maybe that's it.

Back
Top Bottom