Worthy Turn Based RPG of the 10"s decade

Dasale

SasqWatch
I don't think there's any good tools to get such list, there's plenty problems, genre filtering, lack of criteria filter, holes and errors, and clearly "worthy" means everything and nothing.

I never get much results form similar thread in the forum, but I can try once more, and eventually add that links to fairly good tools to get such list is a way to answer the topic.

When collecting title so few are turn based that I gave up limit to TB.

2010, only found:
Mass Effect 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Drakensang: The River of Time, Alpha Protocol, Arcania: Gothic 4, Two Worlds II, Eschalon Book II (TB), A Farewell to Dragons.
1 TB RPG.

2010 rejected (most are guess): Fable III (Action), Lost Planet 2 (Action), Numen: Contest of Heroes(Action), DeathSpank (Diablo like), Mount and Blade: Warband (RTS/Action), Puzzle Quest 2 (Strategy), Puzzle Chronicles (Strategy), Dead Rising 2 (Adventure/Action), Desktop Dungeons (Roguelite, TB)

2011 only found:
Skyrim, The Witcher 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Avadon (TB), Dragon Age 2, Game of Thrones, ArcaniA: Fall of Setarrif
1 TB RPG

2011 rejected (most are guess): Avernum: Escape from the Pit (Remake, TB), Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale (Action), Hunted: The Demon's Forge (Action), The Lord of the Rings: War in the North (Action), Dungeon Siege III (Action), Bastion (Action), Half-Minute Hero: The Second Coming (Action), Terraria (BUILD), Minecraft (BUILD), Might and Magic: Heroes VI (Strategy, TB), Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (Tactical RPG), Space Pirates and Zombies (Strategy/Action), Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword (Strategy/Action), Dead Island (Survival), Lair of the Evildoer (Roguelite), Unepic (Platform)

2012 only found:
Mass Effect 3, Legend of Grimrock, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Risen 2, Of Orcs and Men, Inquisitor.
No TB.

2012 rejected (most are guess): Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (Remake), Dust: An Elysian Tail (Action), Fortune Summoners (Action), Dark Souls (Action), Borderlands 2 (Action), Dishonored (Action), Sleeping Dogs (Action), Diablo 3 (Diablo like), Darksiders II (Action), Torchlight II (Diablo like), XCOM (Tactical, TB), King's Bounty: Warriors of the North (Strategy/Tactical), Confrontation (Strategy), Spellforce 2: Faith in Destiny (Strategy), Lego The Lord of the Rings (Kids), Confrontation (Action)

2013 only found:
Shadowrun Returns (TB), Avadon 2 (TB), Expeditions Conquistador (TB), Mars War Logs, The Dark Eye Demonicon, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Aarklash: Legacy, Driftmoon
3 TB RPG

2013 rejected (most are guess): Baldur's Gate II : Enhanced Edition (Remake), Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Remake/JRPG), Fairy Fencer F (JRPG), Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster (Remake/JRPG), Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed (JRPG), Dark (Action), Krater (Action), Charlie Murder (Action), Path of Exile (Action), Dungeonland (Action), Forced (Action), BioShock Infinite (Action), Young Justice: Legacy (Action), The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (Action), Legend of Dungeon (Roguelite), Evoland (ADV/Action), Driftmoon (ADV), How to Survive (SURV), Dead Island: Riptide (SURV), Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves (Tower Defense), Omerta – City of Gangsters (Sim/Management), Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Roguelike)

Many JRPG, I suppose it's weird not put them in the RPG section, at least those that aren't remake.

2014 only found:
Wasteland 2 (TB), Dragonfall (TB), Divinity Original Sin (TB), Dragon Age: Inquisition, South Park: Stick of Truth, Might & Magic X Legacy (TB), Legend of Grimrock II, Blackguards, The Banner Saga (TB), Lords of Xulima (TB), Eschalon Book III (TB), Risen 3, Child of Light, Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms
7 TB RPG

2014 rejected (most are guess): Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Action), Lichdom: Battlemage (Action), Sacred 3 (Action), Gauntlet (Action), LISA (Adventure), Final Fantasy XIII-2 (JRPG), Pier Solar and the Great Architects (JRPG), Final Fantasy XIII (JRPG), Valkyria Chronicles (JRPG), Agarest: Generations of War (JRPG), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (JRPG)

Last edited:
2015 only found:
Blackguards 2 (TB), Pillars of Eternity, Underrail (TB), The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Age of Decadence (TB), Sword Coast Legends, Legends of Eisenwald (TB), Shadowrun Hong Kong (TB), Serpent in the Staglands, Chroma Squad (TB), Dex, Ruzar - The Life Stone
6 TB RPG

2015 rejected (most are guess): Avernum 2: Crystal Souls (Remake), Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (JRPG), Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (JRPG), Tales of Zestiria (JRPG), Dragon Quest Heroes (JRPG), God Eater Resurrection (JRPG), Mugen Souls (JRPG), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC (JRPG), Apotheon (Action), BLADESTORM: Nightmare (Action), Satellite Reign (Action), Overlord: Fellowship of Evil (Action), Undertale (Adventure), Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure/Action), Dragon Fin Soup (Roguelite), Guild of Dungeoneering (Roguelite), Hand of Fate (Roguelite), Dying Light (Survival), Chaos Reborn (Strategy), Mordheim: City of the Damned (Tactical), Armello (Tactical), Ultimate Space Commando (Tactical), Templar Battleforce (Tactical)

2016 only found:
Tyranny, The Banner Saga 2 (TB), Avadon 3 (TB), Deus Ex Mankind Divided, The Technomancer, Ember, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire (TB), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, The Deep Paths: Labyrinth Of Andokost (TB), Heroes of the Monkey Tavern
4 TB RPG

2016 rejected (most are guess): The Dwarves (Action), Grim Dawn (Diablo like), Dark Souls II (Action), Salt and Sanctuary (Action), The Deadly Tower of Monsters (Action), Tom Clancy's The Division (Action), I am Setsuna (JRPG), Ys VIII : Lacrimosa of Dana (JRPG), Dragon Quest Heroes II (JRPG), Darkest Dungeon (Roguelite), Hyper Light Drifter (ADV), Dead Rising (Adventure/Action), Stardew Valley (SIM), XCOM 2 (Tactical), Little King's Story (Sim), Starbound (BUILD), Planet Explorers (SURV), Rencounter (Roguelite), The Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming (Tactical), Super Dungeon Tactics(Tactical)

From 2017 I have nothing yet.

About my worthy definition I would argue that now the list provide examples but I admit, some are borderline. It's more a way the reject old mobile games vaguely RpG and ported to computers. Not that's I'm against mobile ports, but pure mobile founded RPG that aren't ports tend be very short and light games.

With a quick check those more borderline worthy are: Of Orcs and Men, Aarklash: Legacy but it's even more a sort of Diablo like I'll check and put it in rejected list, Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms, Chroma Squad well it's more a Tactical game or eventually Tactic RPG, Ruzar - The Life Stone, The Deep Paths: Labyrinth Of Andokost.

Quote that in rejected list there's some games I enjoyed a lot but no way consider them as RPG or then they are JRPG. And there's certainly some incoherencies between some rejected and some not rejected, I didn't played many in rejected lists, some in selected list.

Anyway suggestions are welcome even if worthy and what is RpG have vague meaning.

Errr, you can set Steam to search on tags RPG and turn-based then set number of players to single. Maybe sort by release date. Now you can decide what is "worthy."

Errr, you can set Steam to search on tags RPG and turn-based then set number of players to single. Maybe sort by release date. Now you can decide what is "worthy."
If XCOM and plenty more are RPG for you, then it's a mediocre tool for that but it works, for me XCOM isn't a RPG.

RPG Steam tag is used for games with RPG elements.

EDIT: But yeah, it's how I did for older years, pick similar lists, and try quick filter, I think some lists disappeared, and games tagged RPG on steam skyrocketed.

If XCOM and plenty more are RPG for you, then it's a mediocre tool for that but it works, for me XCOM isn't a RPG.
It won 2nd place in the RPG-of-the-year award here, as I recall. ;)

But, like skipping games that aren't worthy, you can also just skip the games you don't consider RPGs. It doesn't seem that hard to me.

Maybe what you're really after is "best turn based RPGs by year" lists? With a few empty years?

We do have our release list, which is sorted by release date. But, it allows no further filtering, so it basically has any game we added into the database.

For 2017; Expeditions: Viking, Battle Brothers, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Starcrawlers, Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

*Viking is the only one of the above I've played for a significant amount of time (actually completed three times) and would personally recommend, but have included the others because they're turn-based RPGs alot of people like.

Why do you need a list. It would be subjective and only relevant to the maker anyway. I mean one persons “ worthy” is another persons shit.

As far as a “tool” you are using the only tool you need a quick search on the internet will give you more lists then you could ever want. There’s one on the main page now that at least one person thinks is “worthy” ( the maker of the list).

You’d be better served by Just playing the games and making your own list.

Rpg is super vague nowadays. Almost any game adds RPG to their tag system. For me to consider a game an rpg I must roll up a character and then play a role. I consider games that don't allow this to be an adventure game with role-playing elements. The Witcher 3 fits this category. However, I would be in the minority with this view and I can live with that :) Games with a whole party and turn-based combat are war games, etc.

Back
Top Bottom