Obsidian Entertainment - Tyranny Revealed

Btw. the premise ‘What if evil already won?’ isn't that special. It has already been done 3 years ago in Demonicon where the part of the world the plot plays in is ruled by evil mages and demons.

@sea I must admit I was hoping for an rpg where you worked in human resources and fired people/got rid of them in evil ways which led to interesting choice and consequence as you progressed up the company ladder.

Do you mean Pillars of Electronic Arts? :p

Some more news. Tim Cain said on is facebook that he is working on this project (note I can't confirm that, I saw it on reddit).

Yeah, he's been working on it for the past year, approximately.

I'm tired of isometric myself. Haven't had a good first-person RPG in a while... oh how the tables have turned!

It sounds a bit like a Midnight-style setting. This could be good. For me it depend on whether I get to try and instigate some sort of (possibly futile) rebellion.

Btw. the premise ‘What if evil already won?’ isn't that special. It has already been done 3 years ago in Demonicon where the part of the world the plot plays in is ruled by evil mages and demons.

And being the agent of a repressive government has been done in both parts of Avadon (and to a lesser extent in Geneforge). I actually thought that the idea there was well done, especially in the first part. You don't have to be evil in Avadon, but you certainly can be, and while some supporters of the government have good intentions, others wildly abuse their power. The same goes for the rebels. The theme more is at what price would you support order and stability over freedom, or freedom over order and stability? Which can be very interesting if done right. I think its the execution that will matter.

Hard to get excited about anything Obsidian after PoE. Will still buy it though probably :(

Saying that, I have the impression that Obsidian/Paradox do not consider combat to be a selling point compared to fitting the game into the classic story rich RPG renaissance with PoE, Divinity Original Sin and Wasteland 2 do.[/I]
Ah, is that a quote from them in italics there, or a joke? Possibly both?

Ah, is that a quote from them in italics there, or a joke? Possibly both?

Here is what the press release says: “Four years ago, we hoped the world wanted to be reacquainted with classic, story-rich RPGs. As it turned out, the answer to that was an emphatic ‘yes,’” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “Since then, there’s been a renaissance in RPGs thanks to games like Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin and others.

Four years ago = 2012, the year of PoE KS. They aren't the first to call it the cRPG renaissance, Beamdog does as well.

Well hopefully it's a much better RPG than South Park was…

Excuse me but there are some people around the world that think South Park game is a nearmasterpiece. I'm one of them.

Of course I'll buy it, but I'm a little sorry to see them go the "In a world of darkest evil..." route. That's now been seen often enough that it feels less like a corrective to the conventional heroic RPG narrative and more like an equal and opposite cliche.

If it were made by someone other than Obsidian, including an unknown and unproven company I'd probably be interested in the game's premise. As it is, it will be a game that thinks "story focused" means pretentious, long winded prattling you don't care about and banal, endlessly copy pasted and boring mechanics - that is, it will be throughly underwhelming both thematically and mechanically, just like PoE.

This is by far the most common form of "story focused" game, so that's not a particularly strong shot at them. Even so, I'm not interested in a game that is unremarkable in any way.

One thing that Paradox usually requires from the games they make and publish is replayability, and not just 'good path and evil path', so I'm thinking this game involves procedural aspects so that you can replay the game several times and get different experiences.

One thing that Paradox usually requires from the games they make and publish is replayability, and not just 'good path and evil path', so I'm thinking this game involves procedural aspects so that you can replay the game several times and get different experiences.

Might not be procedural. Eurogamer mention this about creating the Fatebinder (aka player character): you customise not only their look but also their history as you select certain decisions they made in the recent upheaval. These drastically affect the state of the world, and Obsidian promises many branching storylines.

Sounds nifty. I would prefer turn based over RTWP.

Also, Obsidian, please send Sawyer out for coffee while you're designing the rules system.

Sounds nifty. I would prefer turn based over RTWP.

Also, Obsidian, please send Sawyer out for coffee while you're designing the rules system.
Sawyer is not part of this game development. He is going to be making PoE 2.

This looks like another PoE fiasco.... nothing to see here for me.

Looks like something I'd play. I agree that the website and teaser are pretty shoddy, though.

Just waiting for more information about gameplay. Action-RPG has become such a meaningless word.

But the glimses from the trailer say it's real-time. So the only question: With or without pause?
It doesn't really have impact on the game. It's not more evil than in Dragon Age: Origins, where evil also seems to reign everywhere and everyone. Evil hasn't won, it only threatens everywhere. Same for Demonicon. You're still the good guy in the city of the righteous people fighting for the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom