Rune Ragnarok - Announcement Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gamers Adventure HD A new open world RPG called Rune Ragarok has been announced. The game is a sequel to the original Rune.

Rune Ragnarok Announcement Trailer (Open world RPG)

Subscribe :https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLcr...

Follow Gamer's Adventure HD for more

Twitter : https://twitter.com/_gamersad_

Ragnarok is "set in a dangerous Norse universe during the end of days" and places players "in the middle of an epic battle where gods, beasts, and the last remaining humans struggle to survive" according to Human Head Studios' press release.

The original Rune was a third-person action adventure game taking place during a war between Norse gods Odin and Loki where you played a Viking named Ragnar
More information.

Same here, Ovenall. It doesn't mean I won't play the game, if it's good, but it is a mark against it.

but but guys... it's perhaps another skyrim!!!

Hopefully without bugs this time.

Yea I love the setting and snow but its definitely been overdone that is for sure.

Rune was great fun!

It was a 3rd person action game which could learn a lot from the souls series. Will keep a close eye on this one. Very exciting!

Skyrim
Expeditions Vikings
Mount and blade viking module

I think there was a couple more as well.

I'm not a huge fan of the setting, but I enjoyed Rune back in the day. I didn't realize at first that this was actually a sequel to that game.

I'm surprised they're turning it into an RPG though, and I'm a little skeptical because afaik they've never developed an RPG before.

I'm happy for every developer that takes its first steps towards the glorious RPG genre.

Skyrim
Expeditions Vikings
Mount and blade viking module

I think there was a couple more as well.

Doesn't seem like a very big list. Not compared to scifi and traditional fantasy. I'm going to have to say most would accept the setting with open arms.

Banner Saga 1&2, Viking:Wolves of Midgard, every GoT game, Icewind Dale

OK, not all of them are RPGs, but Skyrim's success has spawned too many snowy, foggy games.

Banner Saga, sure. But ya I don't see it. Icewind Dale, for instance, just takes place in the mountains. It's not this big call to Norse viking mythology. If we're counting things like this, then we could say Call of Duty counts because one game had a bunch of snow in it. Again, it sounds like people really need to dig to find a good viking style RPG. What I think is really happening, is that Skyrim was the 2 ton gorilla that was very popular, and took over the media, and so everyone now sees that one game alone as "it's so overdone".

I mean I get it. For some people who are not into that thing, and every morning, for 4 years straight, their newsfeed is this:

elder-scrools-v-Skyrim-header.png

then it starts to feel old. But I think it's in everyone's head. List the "viking" style games, then list all the "traditional fantasy games". Yet even after many decades, people are still frothing at the mouth for the latter. I'm still convinced there's plenty room for more of the former.

Oh there's room for it alright. I just find it lazy. Hell, even Tolkien was based on Norse myths. I'm not specifically saying "viking" but snowy, wintry games are all over the place.
Would be nice to see one of these feature more alpine blue skies. But we get a lot of "winter is coming" howling winds, traditional northern european settings, wolves, Celtic/nordic decorations/runes.

How about more games in the desert? The jungle? Islands? I know they exist, it simply seems the "snowy north" is a go-to because it has so many previous games/movies attached too it, people think they understand it quickly. Which, I guess they do.

I really liked the way Witcher 3 handled the north europe feel, specifically that houses and inns/taverns had colorful decorations, like people actually lived there and wanted to make things better. So many of these wintry games have dirty, broken down hovels, joyless gray, black and white.

Well this isn't a new IP, it's the sequel to a 17 year-old game. Are they supposed to change the setting because a lot of wintery games have been released since the original Rune?

Banner Saga 1&2, Viking:Wolves of Midgard, every GoT game, Icewind Dale

OK, not all of them are RPGs, but Skyrim's success has spawned too many snowy, foggy games.

Yet this game is a sequel to a game first released in 2000...

Not a bad thing, viking-y or not. Old world mythology is filled with so many rich, wonderful tales you could set any rpg in ( so much better than dry, insipid babbling of what came after).
Long as they remain ( as true) to source material (that way you youngsters can even learn something ;) ).
An rpg where you play through adventures of Hercules, oooh...

Back
Top Bottom