Balrum?

Anyone played this? It is on sale for like three bucks on gog and I am on the edge of getting it but have a huge backlog of both iPad rpgs to bear like the firet twoa vernuns and pc rpgs. However, I am relaly diggint the art style and olds chool looks from the videos Ive seen on youtibe. i love the atmosphere and looks and it reminds me of my two favorite rpgs of old time being the original diablo and divine divinity. There are just hardly any reviews and people complain its too focused on alchemy and crsfting which zim not sure Im into. Is it like divine divinity at all?

I actually like rela time combat like divine divinity or diablo much more so thans tuff like avernun with separate combat screens and fiddling with characters.

I followed it somewhat during development, I liked the art style and it showed promise. Didn't it even have a Kickstarter pitch or sth similar? As I understand the developers stopped patching the game at one point and left it as is.

I very much enjoyed playing Balrum a few years ago.

Balrum? Isn't that what Mary said in Lord of the Rings after drinking a little ent water and growing slightly?

It's decent, but not great. Maybe comparable to Eschalon.

Balrum has a well designed world with some Quests in the first half. In the second the world design gets much worse, and the combat density much higher and these combats are also not very exiting ones.

So yeah, overall decent but not great.
My (German) Review Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Ig-U0gD-4

Excellent game, played through it several years ago myself. It's a big old-school in the design and look, but to me that's a huge plus. Even if you should pay full fare on this product you'll certainly get all that paid back, and more!!

Definitely worth that price. I paid full price and was more than happy with it. Great atmosphere and gameplay.

I agree. Balrum is great, though Kordanor is right; the game was front loaded with content and the later areas are mostly combat-related. I'd say play the first 4 maps and then you could drop it and easily have your money's worth even at full price. I'm playing it right now, myself.

P.S. You can totally ignore the farm building aspect of the game and unless you really like that kind of thing, it adds nothing to the rpg. I never planted a single seed in any of my play-throughs.

I kinda liked it, but the base-building is literally in a little pocket dimension, with no enemies or anything like that. There's no real point IIRC, in building walls/gates/traps or any defensive elements, at least back when I played. If you enjoy building a base for its own sake then it might still appeal to you.

Looking at my old saves, I actually did plant a few things. I planted rosehips, gooseberry, sloe berries, and sun berries. These 4 items will heal common ailments and sloe berries raise mana. Since I played a mage that barely wore any armor, I needed all of those to stay alive. Even though I never grew crops, I stole tons of ingredients from the peasants so I could make meals that enhanced my stats and resistances.

I discovered an exploit back when the game came out that allows me to duplicate items, so I always made enough skill point books to raise all of the crafting skills to max. I really don't know why the devs didn't do this themselves. Their game isn't interesting enough to play through 4 or 5 times to raise each skill to max to see the results. I did it all in one play through back then and I'm doing it again.

I save all my LP for swords and magic skills. I use the books to raise all of the crafting skills to level 4 once I find the appropriate teachers.

Back
Top Bottom