What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 247 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

December 19th, 2019, 23:46
Originally Posted by ginger View Post
The Machinist. Strange movie about someone who suffers insomnia and starts hallucinating, from what I could tell. The reason he couldn't sleep seemed to be explained towards the end. Not bad but I was expecting better. 7/10
IMO a mustwatch before you die. Extreme case of Werther, not understandable by sociopaths with lack of conscience and a reminder loneliness is a health hazard.
One of the most unique movie ever. Yes it's explained but you should be very concentrated while watching it. The guilt ate him both physically and mentally.
Originally Posted by denj View Post
Ad Astra

Really didn't enjoy this, mainly because of the glaring stupid physics issues. And am I correct that in one of the first scenes the main character is actually climbing down a ladder? In space?!
Maybe I missed something but it really wasn't the film I was hoping for.
Utterly stupid hollywodian story in a classic russian scifi movie style. If the story wasn't so idiotic, it could have worked. Sadly I have to suggest - avoid at all costs. Wait till Hollywood finds a better scriptwriter for what could have been one of the most unique experiences but was turned into a pointless movie.
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
In 2019 seven out of the top eight grossing films of the year in the US will be Walt Disney. And the issue of depth is also at a long-time low this year with only 26 total movies looking like they'll break the $100m dollar barrier, and you'd have to go all the way back to 2012 to find a year with only 26 $100m+ grossing movies. If it makes it to 27 with Jumanji or something then you'd be going back to 2015.

Further to this, if one excludes sequels, remakes and 'universe' movies and just looks at 'new' movies, the barometer of creative freshness, then the top 10 would look like this (actual ranking in brackets):
While top grossing in US is of no interest to me as it's usually stuff I'd puke afterwards (Transformers), lemme comment the mentioned moneymakers ten:
1. Us (11) - loved it!
2. Pokémon Detective Pikachu (15) - don't care about pokemon bs
3. Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood (16) - will definetly watch in the future
4. The Upside (23) - neverheard and will remain ignorant
5. Hustlers (25) - never was nor will ever be interested in wall street idiocies
6. Ford vs Ferrari (26) - highly interested, will watch in the future
7. Rocketman (29) - milking on music biographies, will skip
8. Alita: Battle Angel (30) - loved it!
9. Good Boys (31) - not interested in this comedy type
10. Knives Out (33) - sadly couldn't watch now, will watch in the future
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

December 20th, 2019, 14:34
Dora and the Lost City of Gold.

Very enjoyable and funny. If people were even 1/10th as nice and friendly as the main character the world would be a lot better for it.

denj

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 20th, 2019, 14:51
Originally Posted by denj View Post
Dora and the Lost City of Gold.

Very enjoyable and funny. If people were even 1/10th as nice and friendly as the main character the world would be a lot better for it.
I loved the trailer for this one - our kids were just starting to ‘age out’ when Dora came along so we had a year or so of them enjoying it … cool stuff
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

December 20th, 2019, 23:29
Just home from Star Wars: Rise of the Skywalker. It had plenty of dumb moments, cringy moments, stuff that didn't make sense. Technically fantastic of course. Location and the overall tone is cool. Story wise its weak. I don't agree with the 4/10 reviews though, it's somewhere in the 6-7 range for me, better than the previous movie.
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.5

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

December 21st, 2019, 01:58
Saw Jumanji next level - while a lot better than knifes out (which i mentioned above is rather awful) it wasn't as good as the first one. It had a few new ideas and the actors did a fantastic job (to say in what fashion i would have to add lots of spoiler tags or jdr will throw a tantrum) - so i'll just leave it as they did a good job. Still it was kind of silly movie (but i suppose it is intended after all it is a comedy at heart). Dwayne johnson is getting old. I hate to give a number - 7ish maybe 8ish if you love it. You should stay to see the credits - well the start of the credits. Hum. i wonder if cats or frozen 2 is any good.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

December 21st, 2019, 03:30
Just a heads up StarWars: Rise Of Skywalker is not selling well on opening day in china.

Link - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne…-films-1264388

So that $1Bn might not be realistic as I mentioned earlier.

Here's a decent spoiler free opinion that fits my opinion.

loading…
I so wanted to love or at least like this movie, but for me, it was like watching a really expensive poorly conceived fan fiction. I know there are people who enjoyed this movie. Don't let my personal opinions get in the way of that. But I was super let down by the conclusion to a trilogy that was destroyed by a lack of cohesive vision.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

December 21st, 2019, 06:23
The less it makes, the happier i am, it would be an important message that they can't get away with sloppily made SW movies. Nerdy as it may be, it's important to a lot of people that its handled with respect and care. Just like people were pissed off how GoT S8 was handled.. They just wanted to be done with it, it's the exact same feeling you get here.
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

December 23rd, 2019, 14:44
Not interested in the SW movie at all. Maybe I still watch it in some future if there's nothing else to do.

Got hyped with the upcoming Nolan's scifi reverse timeflaw:
loading…

There are already doomsayers all over internet because Warner spent enormous amount of $ for something that isn't bore them to death drama/biography/history/war, but this movie will be a rarity. Hollywood making something original instead of rehashing the same old stuff deserves every cent IMO. Never thought I'll say this but thanks Warner.

OMG OMG!
https://www.soompi.com/article/13692…0-release-date
The distributor of “Peninsula,” the sequel to the hit film “Train to Busan,” has responded to reports that they have decided on an exact premiere date.

On December 3, reports were made in French media that, “Director Yeon Sang Ho’s ‘Peninsula’ is set to premiere in August 2020. Specifically, the date is August 12, 2020.”
Why noone told me the sequel is coming?!
And why must I be hyped over movies coming in the next year? That never happens. I'm getting old it seems.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; December 23rd, 2019 at 15:08.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

December 23rd, 2019, 23:05
Frozen 2 - was pretty bad - maybe 4 or 5 out of 10 for those who like ratings. THe first one was really good - this one had a convoluted story with lots of glitter (think Fantasia). I wonder how many kids actually followed the plot. The first was a very simple compact story and adding a bit of to it wasn't such a bad idea but this one was a mess. Also the music wsn't as good and the overall plot was contrived.

The glitter will probably keep kids entertained but otherwise skip.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

December 24th, 2019, 01:04
Good explanation by The Quartering why you can't trust Rotten Tomatoes..

loading…
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

December 24th, 2019, 01:12
Oh what a shock not like it's owned by an Ex-Disney CEO.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:

December 24th, 2019, 02:01
Saw SW

The pacing was terrible. It seems like it should have been two movies. I also think that JJ was going for a face paced disjointed movie serial type effect as if you were binge watching movie serials like Flash Gordon Trip to Mars one after the other. It felt like Indiana Jones at the Temple of Doom.

In fact, it felt like two movies - a first half and a long ending.

I also could have done with more Rose. She got the Jar Jar Binks treatment. I also would have liked to have seen Gen Xers - once again we're ignored with only Boomers and Millennials getting any visuals.

That said, I enjoyed it. It was Star Wars and I recommend it to everyone. I don't go Star Wars thinking its Citizen Kane. And its quite a bit better than any Marvel movie.

I will probably not watch anymore if Disney keeps giving it the new Star Trek treatment. Star Wars was always fun and not meant to be political. The fact that it wasn't Vietnam, etc. was what made the first one enjoyable.

Spoiler
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

December 24th, 2019, 02:28
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Just a heads up StarWars: Rise Of Skywalker is not selling well on opening day in china.
This has always been the case in China. Unlike its neighbour Japan, no one was allowed to see Star Wars in China when they were first made so it was not able to take cultural root like it did everywhere else in the world.

By the time China did see the new ones, big budget space operas were already everywhere, some of them were animated - Star Wars was just one of many.

It would be like expecting John Carter of Mars to do well after Avatar came out.
--

Lucky Day

Daywatch

December 24th, 2019, 02:51
Star Wars has never flopped in China afaik. Not like this. Rogue One did better than this there..

Not even bending the knee to them, hiding Finn in the far back + brightening his skin in the china promo posters helped.. lol, so much for standing up for diversity and being "inclusive" yada-yada..

Edit: I don't think even two movies would have sufficed, a TV series would have been more fitting for this theme.. I don't hate the story in it, i just really, really dislike how little time everything is getting, it's only teasing the viewer with various locations and plots and moves on to the next.
--
Last edited by vurt; December 24th, 2019 at 03:06.

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

December 24th, 2019, 18:17
Apropos RT userscore by crpgnut (yes I still think it's him undercover) - that thing was "fixed" for like a decade and not only for Disney involved products.
For user scores, always go imdb and read a few impressions that go into some details. When possible. The best option is always word of mouth, but when a title wasn't seen by any of friends you trust, go imdb.

In any case I suggest ignoring professional critics unless there is one or a few who often seem to share your taste. Professionals tend to adore style over substance and pretend that the peak of filmography is bland drama or sterile facts. If such a film can also bore a viewer to death, expect raining of good scores from professionals. I'm saying professionals forget that most of movies are made for an audience and not exclusively for critics (there are always a few junk movies out there shot not for the audience but for Oscars voters).

China is a specific market and I wrote something about that before. Your movie won't air in China if not compatible with current political climate unless you carefully pack stuff so censors don't notice hints and undertones that are considered "dangerous". If censors do spot something they don't like, assuming it's not the whole movie, such scenes will get cut out and the audience will eat spaghetti without any sauce.
Imagine you're living in such a country, aware that all you'll see on screen is a bland story and tons of special effects just because it's enforced by law and not by incapability of pisspoor Hollywood screenwriters to make a good script. Well… At one point you'll say screw it, install Steam and play The Witcher 3 instead of going to cinema.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

December 24th, 2019, 18:21
All good points too. You have to think the downplay of Rose in this one didn't help it in China either.

I did like the return of Haydn Christiansen though.
--

Lucky Day

Daywatch

December 24th, 2019, 22:58
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Star Wars has never flopped in China afaik. Not like this. Rogue One did better than this there..
Yes, Rogue One did better … BUT, no Star Wars movies has EVER succeeded in China, period. The entire franchise combined did less than opening weekend for Avengers Endgame in China.

- Original Trilogy was never shown.
- Prequel Trilogy TOTAL was <$20 million
- Biggest success was Force Awakens with $124 million. Rogue One got $69MM, Last Jedi less, Solo even less, and Rise only ~$12 million so far.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

December 24th, 2019, 23:23
Just saw The House that Jack built by Lars von Trier. The first 3/4 of the film were very von Trier, meaning kind of pretentious and shock for shock value. But I absolutely loved the ending. A real twist.

The first 3/4 which I didn’t hate but didn’t particularly like, were very similar to Nymphomaniac, but replace sexual deviancy with the mental deviancy of a serial killer. Very pretentious rationalization and dialogue while trying to disturb the audience. Felt a bit cheap. And gratuitous. Especially the family incident. But, it really found redemption with the ending.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

December 26th, 2019, 13:29
I saw Star Wars:Rise of Skywalker yesterday, so much better than the Last Jedi. Some silly things being done during the movie but I enjoyed it much more than the previous two movies in this series. 7/10

denj

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 26th, 2019, 19:34
I plank to see Star Wars Rise of Skywalker again with my kids (saw with older son, younger son home for a few days), and will hopefully clarify my feelings more at that point.

Two thoughts:
1. I liked the movie, I continued to feel emotional connections to the main characters and was happy with the overall story and movie and conclusion.
2. It drives me ABSOLUTELY INSANE just how obvious it now is that this ‘trilogy’ was not written as a trilogy. For all the critique of the prequels, it followed the core project management principal of ‘start with the end in mind’. And while perhaps they DID have the ending envisioned, there was a lot that happened that shows any through-plotting was ‘block diagram’ level at best. And to me that was the biggest issue.
2a. Because of #2, the movie ended up overstuffed with things that had no place in the conclusion of a trilogy. Revenge of the Sith is actually pretty great in that regard (and Return of the Jedi somewhat weak).

Oh well …
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread