Gothic 3 Solo mage after a decade break :)

tomaja

Watcher
Hi everyone!

Its been a decade since i last played. Now i have G3 from gog patch1.74 ab and ai on, medium difficulty. I am going a pure mage and i would appreciate some answers to my slightly noobish questions please ;)

1. is it worth it to get permanent potions? With mana regen it might be ok to stick to what i can get with LP and maybe use permanent potions for hunting and str?

2.where can i get so early in the game a good staff and some robes - I want to be a mage asap?

3. this magic shield u get with magic staffs looks nice and is so mage-ish;) is it worth learning? with mana regeni guess it is ok.

4, as i understand it ok - firemage perk makes your fire spells deal more dmg = fireball more powerful. But army of darkness looks nice and tempting. So fireball will suffer a lot when not becoming a fire mage?

5. reputation - i read that u cannot get over 60 rep with rebels for examle as all orcs will attack u on sight and u r unabl to do quests for orcs. Any other reputation thresholds I shall be aware of?

6. alchemy and str - shall i put any LP into them or lecterns / potions / herbs / arenas will be enough?

7.improved robes - doeas it work? i read it is broken somehow.

8 i did 2 quest in reddock and killed seveal orc scouts - the orc patrols - i hope it will not ruin the game .

9. How many animal trophies skills shall i learn - i read u need some for quests?

10. Fireball vs lightning vs ice lance - they all seem to do the same dmg depending on AK. so maybe i shall go all beliar for lightning and AoD and forget about fire mage path? Or fireball and skeleton / demon and firemage?

11. As a mage is it better to side with a certain faction? I read someplace when u r a mage its advisable to stuck to rebels?

12. Open lock spell - i want to wait a little and get the spell as i dont want to put points into the thief skill so later i can come back and open the chests - an ok approach?

13. And last ;) misc skills acrobatics wolf endurance, resistances - are they wort it? Poison looks good as the darn flies kill me instantly :(

Sorry for so many questions but atm i dont have much time for replaying the game over and over again - work kid mortgage…;)

Cheers guy !!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
Hello, and welcome to the forums!

Its been a decade since i last played. Now i have G3 from gog patch1.74 ab and ai on, medium difficulty. I am going a pure mage and i would appreciate some answers to my slightly noobish questions please ;)

1. is it worth it to get permanent potions? With mana regen it might be ok to stick to what i can get with LP and maybe use permanent potions for hunting and str?
I actually don't bother with them initially. After a while, if you happen to have a huge stash of herbs, it might be worth using it to get some hunting/strength, but only after you have all the important mage stuff.

2.where can i get so early in the game a good staff and some robes - I want to be a mage asap?
I actually tend to run with a shield/sword in the start, until I get some Ancient Knowledge, a few decent spells and a bit of mana. At any rate, almost all armor (including robes) is tied to faction reputation, so you're not likely to get a proper robe for a while. The closest you can get to something looking like a robe is from the Druids found in Myrtana. Beyond that, you need to either go to the water mages in the desert, or the fire mages in the north.

3. this magic shield u get with magic staffs looks nice and is so mage-ish;) is it worth learning? with mana regeni guess it is ok.
To be honest, the only thing you really need at higher levels is healing + the basic attack spell of your given deity (fire, ice or lightning). Everything else is basically just for fun, so get it if you feel like it. :)

4, as i understand it ok - firemage perk makes your fire spells deal more dmg = fireball more powerful. But army of darkness looks nice and tempting. So fireball will suffer a lot when not becoming a fire mage?
Not really. The biggest factor is Ancient Knowledge. Learning any of the "specialties" takes a long time, as they come from very specific trainers. That being said, the only trainer I can remember that had the incredibly powerful "Mana Regeneration" perk was the mage above Rhobar in the castle, and he's also the Fire Magician trainer.

5. reputation - i read that u cannot get over 60 rep with rebels for examle as all orcs will attack u on sight and u r unabl to do quests for orcs. Any other reputation thresholds I shall be aware of?
I actually don't think this is related to actual faction reputation. The way the game works, if I remember correctly, is in terms of "liberations". It's all down to how many cities you liberate, and who you talk to afterwards. As long as you don't do any liberations, nobody will go hostile. It's the same in Varant with Nomads vs Hashishin.

6. alchemy and str - shall i put any LP into them or lecterns / potions / herbs / arenas will be enough?
Like I mentioned above, I generally go with sword/shield in the start, so I do actually put a few points into Strength early on, to get access to certain perks and weapons. However, it's not really needed, and certainly not something to focus on over time. Getting 250 Ancient Knowledge and Mana Regeneration is by far the most important for mages.

It was broken, but I'm fairly certain it was fixed in some later patch.

8 i did 2 quest in reddock and killed seveal orc scouts - the orc patrols - i hope it will not ruin the game .
Nope, it won't. Just don't take sides in the city, as that will lead to either clearing out the rebel camp or liberating the city. Those decisions matter.

9. How many animal trophies skills shall i learn - i read u need some for quests?
I tend to just learn all the basic ones, just to be sure (skins, hides and teeth/claws/etc). I don't remember specifically which quests needed what though.

10. Fireball vs lightning vs ice lance - they all seem to do the same dmg depending on AK. so maybe i shall go all beliar for lightning and AoD and forget about fire mage path? Or fireball and skeleton / demon and firemage?
You are right about the damage. Basically, that means you can mix'n match, depending on what your preferred style of play is. I often get things like Light and Healing from Innos, but I do prefer Lightning and Summon Demon or whatever it's called from Beliar. You'll have to make a bit more of a choice towards the end, at which point you should have enough learning points to just get whatever spells you need.

11. As a mage is it better to side with a certain faction? I read someplace when u r a mage its advisable to stuck to rebels?
In general, yes. You can still get most of the perks even if you ally with the orcs, but it's a bit easier to come by the good trainers and such if you're with the rebels. That being said, I prefer to just wait with making the choice, and just do all the basic quests in all the cites, camps etc. That way, you can build yourself up past needing anyone from the rebels before making the choice of who to ally yourself with.

12. Open lock spell - i want to wait a little and get the spell as i dont want to put points into the thief skill so later i can come back and open the chests - an ok approach?
I'd love to say yes, but the open lock spell is only available very late in the game. A real shame. I always end up getting the actual perks to unlock stuff.

13. And last ;) misc skills acrobatics wolf endurance, resistances - are they wort it? Poison looks good as the darn flies kill me instantly :(
Get the curing spells from Innos. They are totally worth it.

Sorry for so many questions but atm i dont have much time for replaying the game over and over again - work kid mortgage…;)

Cheers guy !!!
No problem, anytime!

Hi everyone!

Minor note: there is a more recent version of the community patch, more specifically version 1.75. Download here.

Enjoy the game! :)

Thank you - it's been most informative :)

I wander if 1.75 will be compatible with 1.74? There are no major changes there so maybe just to be on the safe side i will stick to 1.74 as i have already put several hrs of time into playing.

Btw, with AB on open lock spell has been modified and is available earlier :)

Last edited:
I dtalling 1.75 will be compatible with 1.74? There are no major changes there so maybe just to be on the safe side i will stick to 1.74 as i have already put several hrs of time into playing.

Ah, yeah, if you don't want to lose your current save game you're probably better off sticking to 1.74. AFAIR there's mostly only graphical enhancements and fixes in 1.75.

You need to mix spells a bit to have a plan B if a fire golem isn't impressed by your fireball. ;)

Mages get very powerfull quickly. I simply played it like a shooter in the second half and just shot everything down.

Ok - backup plan. So i have to decide between ice and lightning. Or maybe just stick to lightning to keep it simple. I wander what things will look like LP - wise with AB on.

And i just vhecked it - open lock spell requires 2oo AK and telekinesis as prerequisite. I need to find someone to teach me this spell.

Hi everyone!

Yes permanent potions are always helpfull. Its a been a while, but if you're going with alternative balancing, increasing stats begins to cost twice of learning points & gold once you go over certain stresshold. I think it was 250. So in other words increasing strenght to 250 costs 250 points and after that each strenght point costs you 2 points. Same applies for every other stats (Dex, ancient knowledge).

Also this applies for mana, health and stamina as well, but learning costs are more generious. 5lps = 20 health/mana/stamina. After 250, the costs are doubled as well.

You need only 60 skill points for brewing permanent potions skill and you can slowly learn 60 points of alchemy throughout the game from bookstands without investing any points.

There are also bookstands and stone tablets that give you a permanent bonus to ancient knowledge. So if you're a mage, you should prioritize of learning 250 ancient knowledge and only after that point start using stone tablets since after 250 every point costs double ammount of lps and gold.

Commmunity patch 1.74 changes a lot of things. Now most clothes are classified as robes. So in addition to mages robes, leather grab, nomad robes, ranger clothes gain the bonus from robe skill. Earliest "robe" is either farmer clothes or leather grab. More expensive early robes are likely the ranger clothes, but I'd save my money for druid robes.

As for staves, novice staff can be bought almost everywhere. I think even Milten gives you one. Bladed staff can be bought from silden. There is also a magic staff inside Shaman's quarters in Gelden. Also the mercenary trader in Cape dunn may sell a staff or two. Be sure to save before talking to him, since part of his inventory is randomized when you talk to him first time.

Magic staves are generally worthwhile because each staff grants you a bonus of some kind (protection bonuses usually). The magical shield however is useless. Its only usefull against other magic users and those enemies are so deadly that you should not rely on blocking their spells.

Well it won't be as powerfull. That being said, increasing ancient knowledge also effects on your spell damage. So if a mage has 250 ak and decent ammount of mana, the fireball can be still quite deadly even without firemage perk. If you're thinking becoming a dark mage, you could learn lightning spell instead (its just not that cool looking though).

Well Nomads and Hashishin hate each other as well. Orcs and druids are mortal enemies as well.

You need only 60 skill points for brewing permanent potions skill and you can slowly learn 60 points of alchemy throughout the game from bookstands without investing any points.

As for strenght, well many strenght bonuses can be gained from arenas, but keep in mind that arena battles are more difficult (as they should be). Also many weapons have high strenght requirements, but if you're sticking to staves, it should not be a problem.

It works yes. Community patch fixed it among other things.

It won't. :)

All trophy skills are worth of learning as early as possible and quite many quests require you to do some hunting. Plus its a roleplaying game for heaven's sake. So extra loot = more gold. :)

Just stick to what you find intresting. If you find dark magic spells more intresting than holy magic / fire magic, go with it. Besides nothing really stops you from learning spells from each school. Only three most powerfull spells require you to make a choise.

Not really. Adanos magic is just more difficult to learn since there are no altars. You'll have to find a druid or a water mage to teach you those kind of spells.

I'd say that its not really worth of waiting. You come across so many locked chests that it becomes quite a drag not to be able to open them right away. Just learn open difficult lock skill and life is suddenly so much easier. And you will find plenty of open lock scrolls from the chests anyway which you can use to open the most difficult locks.

Acrobatics basicly protects you from falling very high. So instead of dieing, you are left with small ammount of health. It can be usefull in Nordmar, but if you keep an eye where you're going, this should not be an huge problem to overcome. :) Endurance of the wolf is quite usefull as it allows you sprint twice as long. I'll always get this skill sooner or later.

Resistance to poison is nice, but there are plenty of ways to counter poison (potions & spell scrolls). Oh and try to take out bloodflies afar with a bow or a spell.

Resistance to illness protects you from the sickness you catch if you're hit by an enemy which carries it, like a ripperbeast, a lizzard, a mummy or a troll. You'll notice this when your stamina bar turns suddenly grey and won't regenerate stamina anymore. It is not most essential skill since there are only limited number of enemies which cause illness. And there is a cure spell and cure potion, so no need to spend lps.

Resistance to cold and heat can be usefull, but you can actually find armors which grant you these bonuses freely. In nordmar player character takes a hit to his stamina regeneration since its so cold there. In Varant same thing happens in the desert areas.

Last edited:
Yeap roleplaying. Im just finishing atm G2 with a pure dex bow toon so i desperately need to try out sth else ;) i have collected ao many trophies and skins for Bosper… .

thank you very much for the tips :)

i guess i will have more questions in future ;)

Edit: im foolibng around with some spells now and:

1. At AK 105 fireball looks more damaging as i need 1 cast of fireball to kill a mob while it takes 2 lightning to kill the same mob-burn effect?

2. AI of skeleton isnt very impressive…is there a way to "command / steer" him?

3. Maybe fireball and ice lance as backup would be ok

4. What AoE spell will u recommend? I will test them out later myself but now id appreciate your opinion :)

5. And in the end - i could use a spolier on how to get mana regen asap once my AK is 2oo...

Last edited:
Ok - one question again. Im running around montera and orc patrols are red and attack me on sight. When in town all orcs are white. I did not liberate any cities. I only killed 2 orc patrols in starting town. My rep with orc is now at 0 but i will work on it ;) is it ok to kill orc patrols if they attack me on sight or just outrun them which is easy? I will be siding with rebels btw.

Like a bumerang - whats the deal with summon akeleton? Is there any way to make him tank? All mobs keep chasing me and the skeleton keeps chasing the mobs :( the mobs wont target the skeleton in most of the cases :( and if they do once i cast a fireball i become the target :/

I didnt know u can have 2 or 3....silly me. I will give it a shot then.

Strange - i killed Ortega and all the bandits yet i did NOT received any rep with the orcs. I killed the bandits on my own AND with this guy Cirus. Either way no rep bonus with orcs and it should be +1 for this mission.

I got exp. I hot +10 rep with cape dune. But my rep with Orcs is still 0.

Do u guys know what the problem is?

Hmm, no. I seem to remember mainly getting rep with the actual city, not the entire faction. Very few quests give faction reputation, and it's usually related to liberations or clearing out rebel camps.

I just found it out - i have a very old quest checklist and it looks like it had been changed in 1.7o.

none the less...struggling along :) just hit clvl 15 and got myself fireball and ice lance as i find myself using both actually depending on situation.

Skeleton was getting on my nerves - maybe im too used to soloing ;) i do not take npcs neither . With ab and ai on and medium difficulty it is tough atm but with mana regeb i can already tell it will beeasier.

cheers!

Back
Top Bottom