Divinity: Original Sin II - Sir Lora & Quercus Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new video that introduces Sir Lora and Quercus which will feature in Divinity: Original Sin II: Definitive Edition.

Meet Sir Lora, a squirrel fleeing the Knights of Drey - an apocalyptic order of furry knights who believe in the coming of the Great Acorn. He’ll join you in Fort Joy (along with Quercus - his undead cat mount) and follow you through your adventure, sharing his wit, wisdom, apocalyptic warnings, and even some skill-crafting secrets.
More information.

That's the kind of "humor" I don't want to see in RPGs. Perhaps I'm to narrow minded, but it kills immersion for me.

I'm not against the humor myself but when I saw the video yesterday i more or less barfed. It isn't so much humor as much as they are trying too hard to be cute.

I feel like bits and pieces of this sort of thing are ok, but a companion that sticks with you for the entire game is going to have an effect on the tone. People already had an issue with the first game being too silly and they (at least slightly) toned it down. Now it seems like they’re regressing.

Yeah…that's a little much. :)

I liked their style of humor in Divine Divinity and The DKS, but it wasn't so in-your-face in those games.

It would have been fine if it were a hamster.

That's the kind of "humor" I don't want to see in RPGs. Perhaps I'm to narrow minded, but it kills immersion for me.
I agree it's just not funny to me.:nod:

It was the same with Two Worlds 2 and it's pirate expansion.

When I see this sort of cringe worthy "humor" the only thing that comes to mind is Graham Chapman's Colonel shouting "Stop this! It's silly."

Good thing I watched the video. Was expecting something way worse based on all the comments so far. Wasn't bad at all in reality.

Am I the only one that got a Terry Pratchett vibe from this?
(Death of Rats AKA "The Grim Squeaker" anyone?)

I guess that to each their own but I always found Larian's approach refreshingly tongue-in-cheek, there are plenty of "grim & serious" RPG games out there.

Sigh... not funny. Should be in a Rayman game or something like that... not in a deep RPG. And yeah, to each his own, but for me, this is the side of Larian I wish they'd tone down a bit. It feels like too many snickering 12 year olds are working for them sometimes.

Am I the only one that got a Terry Pratchett vibe from this?
(Death of Rats AKA "The Grim Squeaker" anyone?)

I guess that to each their own but I always found Larian's approach refreshingly tongue-in-cheek, there are plenty of "grim & serious" RPG games out there.

There's a wide range of possibilities in between grim & serious™ and tongue-in-cheek. But IMO this goes right past tongue-in-cheek and keeps going past Larry, Moe, & Curly slapping eachother with slapsticks.

Obviously humor is a very subjective thing, but when it doesn't connect, it just makes one cringe and roll your eyes. Which is really bad when you want to get immersed in an RPG. I'm all for some light-hearted fantasy RPGs or even a clever parody / satire. But this is, um, not that. To each his own though.

That's D:OS I levels of humor. I was glad they toned that down for D:OS II. Apparently, they lapsed...

A little too much.

I quite like it but won't really know how it affect the immersion of the rest of the game before actually getting to try it out.

Hm... after hearing about Giant Miniature Space Hamster "butt-kicking for goodness" etc for the last 25 years?

This is more of the same. I think it goes a little too far, but I appreciate some less-than-serious stuff in my RPGs.

I do agree with others that this is a bit too silly but at least this "Mini companion" is a preorder bonus only at this point. I think I remember seeing that unless you have the Pet Pal talent you won't even understand what the squirrel companion is saying.

It is a preorder bonus but all folks who own d:eek:s-2 prior to the release will receive it. Also I would not be surprise if at some point in the future it is offered for a nominal fee or given away for free.

Eh, I don't mind it. It don't think it'll kill immersion for me.

Most people like Minsc and Boo, so I don't see how this is any different.

Back
Top Bottom