Steam Cloud blows

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor
More and more these days I find Steam cloud getting in the way, and it's annoying. If a game goes down, then it sits there waiting to update the cloud. If you try to bring up Steam in offline mode, it won't start until the Steam cloud is synchronized. I've had to wait 10-15 minutes just to restart a game. Grr...

I've had all sorts of issues with Steam since its inception, which is why I favour great old games for my gaming needs. I'll resort to Steam if I must, and if a product isn't available through great old games or steam, I'll do without. I'm not sure why Steam insists on making things so difficult at times, but I can assure you that you're not alone in noticing the slackness.

I've been using Steam for over a decade and have rarely had any issues. I've never had any problems with the cloud function except for the fact that not every game has it.

I turned Cloud off when it first showed up and haven't thought about it since.

What do you mean “if a game goes down”?

Anyway, have you tried re-installing steam?

Then don't use it. Also this is not relevant to forum topic general rpg.

More and more these days I find Steam cloud getting in the way, and it's annoying. If a game goes down, then it sits there waiting to update the cloud. If you try to bring up Steam in offline mode, it won't start until the Steam cloud is synchronized. I've had to wait 10-15 minutes just to restart a game. Grr…

I turn off any cloud saving functions as a matter of course in both steam and all/any of the game launchers I have installed. I just don't see why I would want the hassle connected to the cloud, when I have drives and space and it isn't like hard drives are expensive these days, SSD drives are getting cheaper and cheaper and coming with more and more space for cheaper prices, plenty of room to store my saved games on...

Bottom line, my attitude is, "F--- (blankety blank) the cloud and cloud gaming!" :biggrin:

What do you mean “if a game goes down”?

Anyway, have you tried re-installing steam?
"Goes down" could mean the game crashes, or maybe you just want/need to exit it and restart it for whatever reason. Anything that causes you to have to restart the game.

When that happens, Steam insists on sync'ing your save games to the cloud before you can start the game again. Depending on the size of the save files for the game you're playing, and the speed of your connection, it can put you out of commission for a long time in certain cases. Definitely can be annoying.

Charging people for a service and letting them the option to bail out. That is good business.

The opportunity of not using it but not being charged for it. The path to wealth in the american system.

There is no explicit price for using steam cloud. You must be alluding to the virtual unseen price.

Charging people for a service and letting them the option to bail out. That is good business.

The opportunity of not using it but not being charged for it. The path to wealth in the american system.

Steam cloud comes at no cost. Just like the other services provided by Steam. No point in passing inexisting costs to customers.

Now vid products provided on the Steam platform are down by 30 per cent. Everyone rejoices.

Steam Cloud is awesome! Heh. I like it, it backs up your saves in most games, so if something bad happens it can be a lifesaver.

Uploading is sometimes superslow on Valve's side and forces you to go for a smoke one or two before you can continue as @rjshae; noticed.

But sometimes it's the code optimization =zero that produces gigabytes of bloated savegames data.
As videogames tend to be bugged every experienced player, assuming the game allows it, makes a new savegame on each quest started in order to revert back if something breaks (remember KCD release?). That makes dozens of savegames before exiting the game in some cases. If size of these are huge, of course syncing will take time.

As usual, I always get irritated when so called professional reviewers completely ignore optimization in videogames. Sure, in some near future it probably won't matter:
- our SDD with savegames will be synced with fastupload dirtcheap clouds
- steam will upload savegames to preserve for future only on game uninstall
- internet will become at least 10 times faster than today
- Ryzen CPUs will have an integrated coprocessor with special instructions boosting archivers performance (as currently most efficient ones take very long time to unpack)

But that still doesn't mean paid reviewers should ignore bloated stuff.

But sometimes it's the code optimization =zero that produces gigabytes of bloated savegames data.

At one point I made .ZIP files out of my several GBs of Drakensang savegames.
The result were only a few hindred MBs.

Back
Top Bottom