Paradox Interactive - Acquires Harebrained Schemes

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Harebrained Schemes have announced that they are now apart of the Paradox family. Video at the link.

We just announced some big news today and wanted to share it with you personally.

[…]

From the Paradox forum

Greetings everyone,
We just wanted to answer some of the (probably) most likely questions you may have so please read this entire post before asking your questions ;)

What will this mean for Paradox and HBS?

Harebrained Schemes will continue to operate with its own internal management and creative teams, designing and developing the games that have earned them their outstanding reputation. HBS and Paradox have a shared vision for where to take narrative rich tactical games. Of course each title will be greenlit via Paradox's publishing process. HBS will continue to have the freedom to creative direct our games and build our player experiences.

In their new role as a division of Paradox Interactive, Harebrained Schemes will gain access to an expert publisher with a strong reputation and a global audience. Paradox will handle finances, marketing, PR, and distribution, and leave the development to HBS. Paradox is bringing HBS on board because they like what the studio is doing, so nobody wants to change that. Fans of Harebrained Schemes can continue to count on the community involvement and visibility that the studio has always provided.

This arrangement came about due to the excellent experience both companies have had while working together on BATTLETECH. Everybody believes this is a great fit.

Is Paradox removing any of the executive team at HBS? Will they be installing new studio managers from their side? Will there be other staffing changes?

All the executives of HBS are remaining at the company in their current roles. There are no plans to install new studio management from Sweden in the HBS offices. The only anticipated staffing changes is that we at HBS are currently hiring for the studio!

Will PDS make games using the HBS IP? Will there be Mechwarriors in Stellaris?

There are no plans for “crossing the streams” at this point.

Will HBS make games using Paradox IP? Could we get a CK2 RPG? Victoria 3 when?
HBS will continue to focus on what it does best which are tactical games with rich stories.

Is HBS going to shift its focus to developing tons of DLC?

We will be supporting BATTLETECH with updates and additional content and we are starting concept development for a new title.
More information.

Last edited:
Whelp there goes another developer. Look forward to constant DLC and overpriced expansions in the future. Damn this month just keeps getting worse for RPGs.:mad:

Yuck, that's almost as bad as defecting to Electronic Arts/Origin platform nastiness. Almost, but not quite, and terrible news for gamers.

RIP(ish) Harebrained Schemes. HBS was one of the best companies to deal with during the early days of kickstarter mania, and one of the remaining few I would trust to put money into today.

That said, Paradox didn't overwhelm us with Tyranny DLC. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Damn. Was really hoping they'd jump to new Shadowrun ( league better than any crpg "classics") after Zloth&co are done playing with mech toys.

Ya, whilst not as bad as selling your soul to EA or the like it doesn't fill me with great optimism. I've generally liked HBS stuff and hope they can maintain some independence. The test will come in a little while and there's changes in management at Paradox. +1 wait and see.

Microsoft own the IP for BattleTech and Shadowrun, what is in this for Paradox? I guess Harebrained can continue to license the IPs but for how long? Paradox is a competitor after all. Will the new Vampire game be made by Harebrained Schemes now?

So many questions but time will tell I guess.

Noooooooooo! Why did they have to sell out?

That said, Paradox didn't overwhelm us with Tyranny DLC. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Tyranny DLC was awful. Bastards Wound was cut content, Tales from the Tiers should of been a free content patch, and don't even get me started about the portrait pack.

Microsoft own the IP for BattleTech and Shadowrun, what is in this for Paradox? I guess Harebrained can continue to license the IPs but for how long? Paradox is a competitor after all. Will the new Vampire game be made by Harebrained Schemes now?

So many questions but time will tell I guess.

Hmm, That had not occurred to me, but I think that would be a pretty awesome move. HBS told some good stories in the SR games and could do VtM justice. Although I'd still like to see some of the Troika guys that worked on Bloodlines involved.

Not sure how I feel about this otherwise. Paradox has a rep for nickel & diming DLC, whereas HBS gave free director's cuts for Dragonfall & HongKong. I expect I'll keep buying / backing their RPGs as long as their DRM-free and judge any paid DLC as it comes.

Yeah I'm not writing Hairbrained off as of yet, they've a proven record as far as trust and delivery goes, but this only fills me with dread. I'd be quite pleased if they prove me wrong, though. I certainly hope to see more Shadowrun and Battletech games from them in the future.

I hope the owners are happy with their paycheck, because they sold their souls to get it.

I hope the owners are happy with their paycheck, because they sold their souls to get it.

We don't know the financial reasons for this move. For all we know HBS may be having financial difficulties. Possibly their Kickstarter efforts weren't providing sufficient liquidity to keep running? The alternative could have been to go bankrupt.

All of the scary claims here have some possibility of bearing rotten fruit in the future, but the simple fact is we'll know nothing until the next project, the one that will be the first true collaboration, happens. I have my pitchfork handy for when that happens, but I require actual proof before I start stabbing. Myself, I'm hoping that this all turns out to be convenience for Hairbrained.

They deserved a big pay day but now it's suddenly in Paradox hands if I'll ever buy a HBS game again.
Seeing how I don't buy games with drm it is indeed rather likely that they decide to lose a customer.

I don't think that HS made enough money outside the KS to keep themselves afloat and independent.

As for whatever will happen after the aquisition, wait and see. If something is going wrong, we can bring the feathers, the tar and put them into the cauldrons.

I think it's a pity if they lose their identity. HBS were a model of what I wanted to see on Kickstarter, and I respected them.

I like the news. I don't see Paradox as the evil company that kills you with DLCs as opposed to many here. In fact I like their DLC system for strategy games. I don't buy DLCs for RPGs though, so it all depends on what their new products will be.

I could get behind a grand strategy game based on the Battletech universe, though I don't know much about it I know it has a rich background which should provide a good source for events and situations.

The head honchos of Harebrained seem quite happy about it. I am thinking at their advanced age they don't want to run the business side of things anymore and just focus on development. If this purchase lets Harebrained fully commit to the development side of things I think it will prove good news.

I don't think that HS made enough money outside the KS to keep themselves afloat and independent.

If they were truly struggling to stay afloat, Paradox wouldn't of acquired them for $7,500,000. That's a lot of money for a small studio with no intellectual property.

If InExile can manage to stay independent and work on two simultaneous projects after a disaster like Tides of Numenera, then Hairbrained Schemes should be able to stay independent after a commercial success like Battletech. Not to mention developers like Obsidian and Larian have went through much harder times and never sold out.

The head honchos of Harebrained seem quite happy about it. I am thinking at their advanced age they don't want to run the business side of things anymore and just focus on development.

Wouldn't you be happy if you just became a millionaire?

Back
Top Bottom