Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to PC

I've been playing for a bit, and being away from my main PC I've had to make due with my gaming laptop which only has a 980M. And it's running shockingly well. Some on high, some on medium, and it's going at 30-40fps at 1080p. Fantastic game so far. And a dream controlling it with a mouse and keyboard. The only issue so far is they seem to not be very consistent with the keys they use for various commands. Anyways, I'll manage and get used to it. But man, what a gorgeous game. Looks fantastic.

I am feeling rather frustrated! I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 and pre-loaded the game. But before I get to it - here is the back story.

I bought Call of Duty: Modern Warfare two weeks ago. I have been unable to play the game because it crashes upon trying to launch the game. Many other PC players have the same problem and there is still no patch for it yet. (though apparently one is in the works)

Well, today I was all excited to start playing RDR2 on PC. Guess what?? The same thing happened! The launcher crashes when trying to launch the game…this is super bad luck or maybe my computer sucks now or something (even though I am above the minimum requirements for both games!). But I know many others are experiencing the same issue after doing a Google search and Rock Star Games says they are aware of the problem.

Everything is updated including the new RDR2 ready drivers that came out today. I have tried other supposed fixes like launching in admin mode, but nothing works. Hopefully Rockstar games is a more competent studio than Activision/Infinity Ward and will patch this sooner rather than take as long as the incompetent Activision/Infinity Ward which probably won't even give me a refund because they have an awful refund policy.

At least Rockstar games has a very clear refund policy and they give two weeks and under two hours of play and you get a refund guaranteed.

I hope it doesn't come to that - I want to play the game - but these AAA games seem to be buggy as hell on release, as you can see from my recent back to back experience buying them!

The launcher crashes when trying to launch the game…this is super bad luck or maybe my computer sucks now or something (even though I am above the minimum requirements for both games!).
Does it happen about when the initial videos would play? Sometimes there are video codec issues.

You can try launching the game then looking in the Event Viewer to see what it says. It rarely helps as the Event Viewer just shows some cryptic error code but every once in a while you get lucky and find it's something other than the game doing the crashing - plus it's really easy to look up.

Or just wait and hope the bug Rockstar found is the problem you're getting.

I wonder if the Steam version will still require Rockstar's launcher.

I"m mildly interested, but most of what I've read about the PC port so far was largely negative. I don't understand how a game that runs on PS4 and Xbone has such high system requirements. Does the PC version really look that much better?

I wonder if the Steam version will still require Rockstar's launcher.

I"m mildly interested, but most of what I've read about the PC port so far was largely negative. I don't understand how a game that runs on PS4 and Xbone has such high system requirements. Does the PC version really look that much better?

Negative? Hm, that’s really not been my experience. As I said I’m amazed how well it runs on a 980M which is a mobile gpu, 25% less powerful than the 980 gtx, which is 3 generations older than the 2080, unless I’m mistaken. And it runs really good. I was honestly expecting to not be able to enjoy it until I got back to my main rig.

But yeah, that’s only my experience. Hardly conclusive.

And about Rockstar client while playing from Steam, not sure if it will require the full Rockstar store, but it will 100% at least require the Rockstar Social Club installed which has been a requirement since GTA IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xylLyIWpzl4

Last edited:
People seem to be getting mixed results. I've seen a lot of complaints about sluggish framerates on the higher settings and long load times. Also a lot of people not being able to load the game at all similar to what Arkadia7 mentions above.

How's the gameplay? Is there still a bunch of silly challenges like kill X amount of (insert random animal) like in the first game?

People seem to be getting mixed results. I've seen a lot of complaints about sluggish framerates on the higher settings and long load times. Also a lot of people not being able to load the game at all similar to what Arkadia7 mentions above.

How's the gameplay? Is there still a bunch of silly challenges like kill X amount of (insert random animal) like in the first game?

Yeah, I read about some of the complaints. I'm only running at 1080p with medium and some high settings, and it's quite smooth. No crashes yet. And it looks unbelievably gorgeous. It's up there among the best looking games I've ever seen.

I've only just finished chapter 1, so I'm not in the thick of things. I've only now unlocked the open world. But I expect there are plenty of side activities, like hunting and the like. But I've no issue with that. I'm sure the side quests aren't even close to what Witcher 3 had, so I know to manage my expectations.

But as far as gameplay and controls are concerned, it's a whole lot better than on a controller. Between aiming with a mouse, and having a higher fps, it's all a lot more snappy. But not fully. RDR2 still is very much focused on immersion over gameplay. And I very much enjoy that.

Trade off, riding though…

Oh, I find riding very close to using a controller, but the main gain is that aiming while on riding, especially at full gallop, is infinitely better on a mouse. As would be obvious I guess. I remember needing to retry the beginning missions that have you shooting from horseback, while playing on a PS4, several times before I was able to complete them. On a k&s I got it on first try.

With regards to my review, man they're really laying it thick with the simulation. I've had to chase down some deer for at least 5 minutes before I was able to kill one. It seems you need to take wind direction into account, as your smell is spread by the wind, and if deer are downwind of you, they can catch your scent.

I decided to purchase this for tomorrow and wait a few months to allow Outer Worlds to bake on patches a bit longer… Really looking forward to RDR2, after all I've heard.
After all I've been reading past couple of hours on internet, you should have played OW immediately and waited for few months of patches (at least) for the overhyped mediocrity.

Here's one from the gaming site instead of numerous reddit or resetera posts by the actual audience:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/red-dead-redemption-2/pc-crashes
Red Dead Redemption 2 PC crash fixes – here’s what Rockstar suggests

However, PCGamesN has tried this, and several other methods, including trying different GPUs, both AMD and Nvidia, all with the latest Game Ready drivers for RDR2, disabling fullscreen optimisation, adding the game and the Launcher to firewall exemptions and virus exemptions. None of these solutions appear to have worked for us just yet, though.
PCGamesN reached out to Rockstar for comment and was referred to the Rockstar Support page.

Don't forget the scoolyard lurking drug dealer's offer. Just as dope, the first shot is free. The digital heroin and predatory practices around it are still legal though.
https://www.vg247.com/2019/11/05/read-dead-online-handing-cash-just-playing-week/
Read Dead Online handing out cash and a treasure map just for playing this week

Last edited:
I stopped playing the XB1X version because I couldn't handle the 30 FPS and awful controls.

It sounds like the PC version needs a patch or two before it's up to snuff.

That said, I don't know if the controls are going to be much better - as I kinda doubt Rockstar has bothered to implement proper keyboard controls. More than likely, they've simply mapped the buttons to keys and left it at that.

If so, I'm not sure I'll bother.

The game didn't really "do it" for me, for whatever reason. I mean, it's extremely competent in terms of technology and production values.

But there's just something ultra archaic about Rockstar's approach to trial and error checkpoint missions.

Beyond that, the game is SCREAMING for more RPG elements, if you ask me - and I'm just not that excited by "more money" in games like this. I really need something more to aim for.

I don't mean spending hours on a Poker game or skinning animals for no real reason, either.

So, it's really just a pretty and immersive game with a Hollywood-level story. Maybe that's enough to qualify for 10/10 best game ever for some people, but that's not quite how it works for me.

OK, first crash I've ever encountered after about 5-6 hours of play. Annoying, after I just stalked two deer for some time, and was about to return to camp. It's a great game, with loads of care and attention given to it, so I'm sure I'll return to it. But I'm thinking about giving them a couple of weeks until they release it on Steam. And I'll continue from there.

Yeah, it's a fantastically ambitious title, but a bit unstable at the moment. Too bad.

I stopped playing the XB1X version because I couldn't handle the 30 FPS and awful controls.

It sounds like the PC version needs a patch or two before it's up to snuff.

That said, I don't know if the controls are going to be much better - as I kinda doubt Rockstar has bothered to implement proper keyboard controls. More than likely, they've simply mapped the buttons to keys and left it at that.

If so, I'm not sure I'll bother.

The game didn't really "do it" for me, for whatever reason. I mean, it's extremely competent in terms of technology and production values.

But there's just something ultra archaic about Rockstar's approach to trial and error checkpoint missions.

Beyond that, the game is SCREAMING for more RPG elements, if you ask me - and I'm just not that excited by "more money" in games like this. I really need something more to aim for.

I don't mean spending hours on a Poker game or skinning animals for no real reason, either.

So, it's really just a pretty and immersive game with a Hollywood-level story. Maybe that's enough to qualify for 10/10 best game ever for some people, but that's not quite how it works for me.

Controls are still pretty convoluted. I constantly need to look at the on-screen prompts for what keys I need to press for various actions. There's so many context-specific buttons, that it sometimes seems like they're not even consistent. For ex, they have separate buttons for Pick up/Close/Functional button, ranging from E, F, R. Sometimes it does feel ridiculous. :D But, if you get used to it, it's ok I guess. I'm being very tolerant about this, because I just frikkin love the simulation and world. It's utterly gorgeous. As I said about, I spent 1 hour just tracking and hunting deer and all others sorts of fauna.

So, I'm not sure if the PC controls are a lot better for general movement, as the game is built to simulate complex movement. But where the controls makes all the difference in the world is shooting. And that's really enough for me.

But there are things that do tend to annoy me. For example, upon every reload all my weapons are placed back on the horse. And I need to re-equip them on Arthur. It's realistic, but a bit annoying. And if you go too far from your horse, you can no longer whistle for it. You have to manually get closer before it'll hear you. And that range can be improved via your relationship with the horse.

As I said, some of it is great, as it contributes to the simulation. Some of it is annoying. But I really tend to favor the simulation. And really respect them for going full blown simulation, and not giving in to player demands of quality of life adjustments.

Controls are still pretty convoluted. I constantly need to look at the on-screen prompts for what keys I need to press for various actions. There's so many context-specific buttons, that it sometimes seems like they're not even consistent. For ex, they have separate buttons for Pick up/Close/Functional button, ranging from E, F, R. Sometimes it does feel ridiculous. :D But, if you get used to it, it's ok I guess. I'm being very tolerant about this, because I just frikkin love the simulation and world. It's utterly gorgeous. As I said about, I spent 1 hour just tracking and hunting deer and all others sorts of fauna.

So, I'm not sure if the PC controls are a lot better for general movement, as the game is built to simulate complex movement. But where the controls makes all the difference in the world is shooting. And that's really enough for me.

That sounds exactly like it was on console.

Yeah, the shooting is naturally going to be superior with mouse/kb - and that's definitely going to be an improvement.

Not that RDR2 really needed that on console, given the auto-aim and auto-centering controls.

Still...

I will get around to playing it on PC eventually - but I'm not in a hurry.

While I adore the simulation and immersion - I'm missing the reason to actually invest in the experience.

Unlike, say, KCD - which is also incredibly immersive - there's really not much in the way of progression or reasons for me to do all of those side activities.

I was never really fascinated by earning money in games when there's really no need for it.

I mean, you can get the best weapons with minimal effort - and that's about all you would ever need in that game.

a Hollywood-level story
Is that a cultural reference thing now?

And does it apply on this one I want to watch asap although it isn't western and uses seville barber score:

EDIT:
After trying to find a video with all different bugs mentioned everywhere, at least I found one case.
Sadly a certain reddit user didn't upload his vid on youtube. Yet. So here's the link on RDR2 the most amazing graphics you've ever seen:
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/dsawvk/the_pc_port_is_a_masterpiece/
Maybe that's Disco Elysium mod? :D

EDIT2:
1a3ldrvi54x31.jpg

EDIT3:
Dragon Age 2 history of critics vs players repeats on metacritic:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/red-dead-redemption-2
pic.jpg

Last edited:
To me, a Hollywood-level story is a relatively high mark for a computer game - but it's still just a Hollywood story.

Hollywood, as we all know, is all about appealing wide and being as mainstream as you can possibly be.

Maybe that's a little harsh for RDR2 - but I certainly never saw anything in the story that made me sit up and take notice.

It was just well done and well acted, nothing more and nothing less.

I've played a couple hours now and zero bugs/crashes, decent framerates. But with a 1080gtx overclocked and GeForce Experience's "optimal" settings, the game looks like crap on my rig. Graphics aren't a huge deal, but these are pretty bad... I'll try to tweak settings later.

I am reading the reddit forum for this game and its a common issue to get bad textures and blurriness so far, with some textures being apparently bugged or something. One recommendation is to set textures to ultra no matter what kind of system because it is a light impact on fps.

Probably it is another issue rockstar games will have to patch to really get a satisfactory fix.

Back
Top Bottom