Operencia: The Stolen Sun - Epic Store Exclusive

No buy from me then. Time to remove it from my Steam wishlist. Good luck to them.

Well I certainly want this but will *try* to wait for a GOG release. Luckily I have a backlog so I will attempt to stick it to the man.

Are you sure it's more expensive in Europe? That doesn't seem right?

Well, I've had Epic Launcher installed for years for Unreal Engine. In that time I've paid nothing, got UT reboot for free, Paragon was free while it lasted then when it closed they released all the art assets for free in UE, then I gave Fortnite BR a play because it was free THEN they started a store and have been giving away a free game every week or so. The last one was the You Don't Know Jack party pack, before that was Subnautica…

I've also got uplay, origin, bethesda, battlenet, Steam, GoG Galaxy installed. Just go with it and get some free games. It's just a tiny client. Sure, Steam is a better platform with chat and things but saying Epic Games is the worst thing that ever happened to gaming is way off.

Just look at Sweeny in this promo for the gtx 1080. He's so awkward and adorable! Like a tall gaming Gollum! Meanwhile, the nvidia guy is such a salesman he's always tripping over his own lies. I was listening to him selling RTX tech the other day and he starts talking about how RTX can do ray tracing with no performance cost then he starts describing DLSS (deep learning super sampling) as the reason it's possible. He's always tripping up like that. But you can hear late in the 1080 promo Sweeny says something about "maybe one day you can invent a GPU that makes it possible" and the crowd laughs. He's got integrity!

Worst becasue they are paying for exclusives instead of creating their own exclusives.

And I don't care at all gor how adorable is that guy, appeareances are delusional, and I buy games not 'the guy'

Nope. Must have missed that. I don't play betas anyways, so I'd only have bought it for the discount.

Yeah but the fact is that steam allows to have betas of games, so they took advantage to later sell it on epic store.....

Seems the Developer took beta feedback on Steam to boost visibility of the game, and then announced it's now an Epic Exclusive for a year. Not the only developer either.
What happens to those who bought into the beta? Do they get a key for the Epic store?
My best guess you might have to wait for the Steam release in 2020.

Last edited:
I'm going to quote a steam reply.:(
It seems that people don't realize that Epic isn't a problem, the problem is a Chinese company named Tencent which has been shaddy anti-consumer company for a long time and Epic is their slave just like many other companies.

And of course, artificial competition is typical for such Chinese companies like them. Expect Tencent to make decisions worse because in the end their goal is to milk you dry.

:rotfl:

What happens to those who bought into the beta? Do they get a key for the Epic store?

It was a beta by invite, keys got revoked 2 weeks ago aprox. But it is unfair to trick people the game would be on steam, and take advantadge of steam users to test your game 'for free'. Use the epic ones.... oh wait, they only care for fortnite....

Well I found it both funny and sad. Some hyperbole mixed with some truth.:p

Well, the Chinese paranoia and their "shaddy" companies are funny, but I'm still amazed by this idea that exclusivity is somehow anti competitive. I mean, how many commercials have you seen in your life that advertise something, and then say, "Only available at Such and Such" ?

It was a beta by invite, keys got revoked 2 weeks ago aprox. But it is unfair to trick people the game would be on steam, and take advantadge of steam users to test your game 'for free'. Use the epic ones…. oh wait, they only care for fortnite….

Hmm. Well at least noone paid for the Beta. I do think if I was a tester I might be a bit annoyed. I wonder if the negative publicity will be worth what they got out of the beta testing.

Well, the Chinese paranoia and their "shaddy" companies are funny, but I'm still amazed by this idea that exclusivity is somehow anti competitive. I mean, how many commercials have you seen in your life that advertise something, and then say, "Only available at Such and Such" ?

I wouldn’t call it anti competitive, its just not competitive and I’m not looking at everything as a whole. I’m looking only at epic vs steam.

I understand exclusives when it comes to consoles because there’s hardware to purchase. Many people will buy just 1 console and the difference between them is so slight that the quality of exclusives will sway people one way or the other. Once they have your hardware their locked in unless they want to shell out for a different console.

On PC you just download a client and that’s it. So these exclusives will get epic some sales for sure but its also alienating some consumers and will undoubtedly loose them sales in the future. Also they cant seriously compete with exclusives alone. They need to offer a comparable or realistically steams so entrenched they’ll have to offer a better client or other incentive to keep customers.

Don’t get me wrong they can exist with exclusives. Just like origins , ubi and the others. People will install their clients to play their few exclusive and then buy everything else on steam. If they truly want to compete with steam then they need much more than exclusives.

Anyway, that got pretty long winded but what I’m essentially saying is imo exclusives will give them a short term sales bump but wont give them a competitive advantage in the long run. Also, if they keep doing it the way they are ( yanking games at the last minute) it may actually hurt them in the long run.

It is anti competitive because a site is making a deal to exclude other sites. That is the very definition of anti-competitive.

I wouldn’t call it anti competitive, its just not competitive and I’m not looking at everything as a whole. I’m looking only at epic vs steam.

I understand exclusives when it comes to consoles because there’s hardware to purchase. Many people will buy just 1 console and the difference between them is so slight that the quality of exclusives will sway people one way or the other. Once they have your hardware their locked in unless they want to shell out for a different console.

On PC you just download a client and that’s it. So these exclusives will get epic some sales for sure but its also alienating some consumers and will undoubtedly loose them sales in the future. Also they cant seriously compete with exclusives alone. They need to offer a comparable or realistically steams so entrenched they’ll have to offer a better client or other incentive to keep customers.

Don’t get me wrong they can exist with exclusives. Just like origins , ubi and the others. People will install their clients to play their few exclusive and then buy everything else on steam. If they truly want to compete with steam then they need much more than exclusives.

Anyway, that got pretty long winded but what I’m essentially saying is imo exclusives will give them a short term sales bump but wont give them a competitive advantage in the long run. Also, if they keep doing it the way they are ( yanking games at the last minute) it may actually hurt them in the long run.

It is anti competitive because a site is making a deal to exclude other sites. That is the very definition of anti-competitive.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Exclusivity is very much a part of trying to be competitive. Sometimes it's the only way a company can gain a foothold in a monopolized market. You don't have to like it, but that's a fact.

Epic Store isn't going to make it on exclusives alone though. Less than 10% of their titles are exclusive. Those refusing to purchase 1 or 2 games because they don't want to support Epic for whatever reason are only cheating themselves out of enjoying those games and supporting the developers.

Has any other store signed exclusive deals in which they were not also the developer ? Previously the only games that stream had as exclusive were those valve developed; likewise for ea, ubi, ... now we see epic offering money so that the product is only offered on their store. Steam has a near monopoly but not because they setup deals that prevented developers from offering their products on other stores.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Exclusivity is very much a part of trying to be competitive. Sometimes it's the only way a company can gain a foothold in a monopolized market. You don't have to like it, but that's a fact.

Epic Store isn't going to make it on exclusives alone though. Less than 10% of their titles are exclusive. Those refusing to purchase 1 or 2 games because they don't want to support Epic for whatever reason are only cheating themselves out of enjoying those games and supporting the developers.

Has any other store signed exclusive deals in which they were not also the developer ? Previously the only games that stream had as exclusive were those valve developed; likewise for ea, ubi, … now we see epic offering money so that the product is only offered on their store. Steam has a near monopoly but not because they setup deals that prevented developers from offering their products on other stores.

Why would it matter if they're the developer or not? That's irrelevant.

No it is relevant. They do not wish to share profits with a third party company. In the case of Epic they are offering a higher share to developers to encourage the use of the service but in addition they are offering exclusive contracts to prevent other services from selling those games. Anyway it is clear from your comment that we view this differently so I don't think there is much value in this debate since it will just go in circles. You are welcome to view Epic actions as non-anti competitive and I will view them as anti-competitive. It is legal since Epic is not a monopoly but I personally consider it anti-consumer and therefore I intend to not use Epic (as well as other reasons already stated).

Why would it matter if they're the developer or not? That's irrelevant.

No it is relevant. They do not wish to share profits with a third party company. In the case of Epic they are offering a higher share to developers to encourage the use of the service but in addition they are offering exclusive contracts to prevent other services from selling those games.

That's part of capitalism, and it works that way in every industry. It's mind-boggling that there are actually people who think having 1 platform dominating the industry to the point of being a monopoly is a positive thing.

Anyway it is clear from your comment that we view this differently so I don't think there is much value in this debate since it will just go in circles. You are welcome to view Epic actions as non-anti competitive and I will view them as anti-competitive. It is legal since Epic is not a monopoly but I personally consider it anti-consumer and therefore I intend to not use Epic (as well as other reasons already stated).

Don't worry, no one is going to force you to see it any other way.

Back
Top Bottom