Empire of Sin - Relationship System - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Empire of Sin - Relationship System

Default Empire of Sin - Relationship System

December 5th, 2019, 23:44
@Gamasutra Brenda Romero talks about the relationship system in Empire of Sin.

loading…

Units can become alcoholics, fall in love with someone else, go insane from continuous violence, and even get a sexually transmitted disease. Each effect has different impacts on characters, if a unit falls in love and unit they fall in love with dies, they may go on a senseless rampage. It could affect their accuracy, their health, and their obedience in combat sequences. All these things, which Romero says are both superpowers and super weaknesses, can vary dramatically from playthrough to playthrough.

"It works the same way it does in the real world. So prolonged exposure to something, right?" Romero said. "People talk about love at first sight but odds are it's not going to work out. Prolonged exposure to a thing can either provoke a trait or cause a trait."

Romero has every character and effect laid out in multiple spreadsheets, including one that lists every character and every trait they have and others that list every trait, the things that affect those traits, and the things that those traits effect.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

December 6th, 2019, 00:01
I'm in. Even if it looks sort of sucky later, I'm going to see for myself.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

December 6th, 2019, 04:05
Looks interesting. Will wait for reviews though.

mat9813004

Watchdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

December 6th, 2019, 13:48
I'm cautious.
Provoke through exposure to cause a trait in RL is usually PTSP or breakdown related, not love at first sight. Or second. I mean… After decades I still have no love for grinding, instead it gives me worse and worse nightmares.

Sure, going loco is in the game, but some things just can't be "positive". Unless the game is fantasy in some other world.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)

December 6th, 2019, 19:08
I've been dying for a modern version of Gangsters: Organized Crime. This looks similar but with turn-based combat and Paradox-style NPC relationships, which sounds even better. I hope it turns out that way, but I'm going to have a look myself to make sure.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

December 6th, 2019, 19:46
Never could get into gangster films or games, but the turn-based thing may make it into my cart on a Steam sale or something one day.

ChaosTheory

Virtual Reality Hero
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

December 7th, 2019, 16:50
Al Capone XCOM

Nice job. Minus the completely unneeded, disgusting scenes of 'cutting throat with razor', which makes the game very demented Manhunt-like.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

December 7th, 2019, 23:19
The turn based combat might draw me into this at some point, I'll keep an eye out and see what others say about this product. Honestly, a decent combat engine for me can make up for many other failings.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

December 7th, 2019, 23:41
Yep, and if you played Omerta, a bad combat engine can sink a game just as fast.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Empire of Sin - Relationship System