Steam Download speeds - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Steam Download speeds

Default Steam Download speeds

December 8th, 2019, 18:18
Sorry to bump this, but I'm experiencing extremely slow speeds on Steam downloads. My computer is hooked to an Ethernet, running on FIOS, and my Steam client is still extremely slow. Anyone else in the United States dealing with this?

Beholder

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 8th, 2019, 22:48
Well, me, but you knew that.

I'll be surprised if it's just in the USA. I pointed to a Singapore server once trying to get around the slowness.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

December 9th, 2019, 15:20
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Well, me, but you knew that.

I'll be surprised if it's just in the USA. I pointed to a Singapore server once trying to get around the slowness.
Right, but your post is from late October. Are you still dealing with slow speeds?

Beholder

Watcher

December 9th, 2019, 19:30
My issues with slower speeds on Steam only seem to happen should I be dumb enough to attempt to download something on the weekend. When I limit downloads to, say, early Monday or Tuesday mornings, I never seem to have an issue. So, I consider that problem well solved.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

December 10th, 2019, 01:28
Turns out the slow Steam downloads is limited to my region, between my ISP and Steam's servers. Go figure. I solved my slow connection issue by, of all things, using a VPN that shot my speeds back to normal. I made sure to download multiple games in case this slow period drags on a bit.

Beholder

Watcher

December 10th, 2019, 03:06
So Steam sees the destination IP and slows the speed down regardless of the route the packets would take? Arg.

It's been random for me. I've even seen downloads go slow for a time and then shoot back up to normal speeds over the course of a few minutes.

Steam changed their update system so it tries to update your game in the wee hours instead of right when you start Steam. I wonder if that's tied to this?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

December 10th, 2019, 04:15
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
So Steam sees the destination IP and slows the speed down regardless of the route the packets would take? Arg.
I have no clue. All I know, according to the Steam thread about this issue, is that Verizon and Steam's content servers are not playing nice in my region, causing people on the ISP to experience slow downloads.

Steam changed their update system so it tries to update your game in the wee hours instead of right when you start Steam. I wonder if that's tied to this?
Nah. It doesn't matter when the games are downloading, it's how slow they're coming in.

Beholder

Watcher

December 12th, 2019, 07:33
Steams been pretty bad for me lately as well. The best I’ve seen lately is 30 MB/s but that was briefly and I’ve had it drop down to KB/s and I have a 1 gbps service. I’m downloading from the Minneapolis server and I live about 15 min from Minneapolis. I’ve tried other servers as well but it doesn’t seem to noticeably affect speed.

For reference I just downloaded ACO from uplay. It’s 90GB and I downloaded it in 18 min. That’s about 83 MB/s average.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

December 13th, 2019, 03:29
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Steams been pretty bad for me lately as well. The best I’ve seen lately is 30 MB/s but that was briefly and I’ve had it drop down to KB/s and I have a 1 gbps service. I’m downloading from the Minneapolis server and I live about 15 min from Minneapolis. I’ve tried other servers as well but it doesn’t seem to noticeably affect speed.

For reference I just downloaded ACO from uplay. It’s 90GB and I downloaded it in 18 min. That’s about 83 MB/s average.
Damn. That sucks. Have you tried downloading Steam games with a VPN? That solved my issue. Though, I'm not sure if the problem has been fixed overall.

Beholder

Watcher

December 13th, 2019, 05:16
It's not just Steam a few file host services I use suffer for the same problem. I go from 25Mb a second to a few 300kb at best. I usually just re-download at different times.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

December 13th, 2019, 09:47
Originally Posted by Beholder View Post
Damn. That sucks. Have you tried downloading Steam games with a VPN? That solved my issue. Though, I'm not sure if the problem has been fixed overall.
Haven’t thought of that. May be worth a try though.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

December 13th, 2019, 15:27
Give it try, sakichop, and let me know.

Beholder

Watcher

December 13th, 2019, 16:21
The voting booth has implications. Net neutrality; it's likely why a VPN works.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Steam Download speeds